7/29 Games

dasox24

Charlotte lost 3-2 in 11 innings. Wilson Valdez was 2-6 with a rbi. Nelson was 2-4, and Hankins was 1-4 with a run scored and a stolen base. Diaz was very good tonight, giving up 2 runs (2 ER) in 8 IP. He also had 6 k's and 0 bb's. Sanders has been pitching well lately, and continued that tonight, allowing 1 baserunner on a walk in 2 IP. Baj took the loss, giving up 1 ER in the 11th inning. Charlotte Box

Birmingham won 3-2. Spidale was 1-4 with a double. Dennis Ulacia had a very good start, giving up 2 runs (2 ER) in 7 IP. LaMura got the win in relief, pitching a scoreless 8th inning. I really hope they don't try to use LaMura as a starter anymore b/c he's just been great in relief, but very bad as a starter. Matt Smith got his 8th save of the year, pitching a perfect 9th. Birmingham Box

Winston-Salem won 8-7. Brice was 1-4 with 2 rbi and 2 bb's. Josh Fields was 3-5 with a rbi. Sweeney was 2-4 with a rbi. Dwayne Pollok pitched a perfect 9th inning, earning his league-leading 25th save. W-S Box

Kanny lost 14-5. Ouch. Antoin Gray was 1-3 with a HR and 2 rbi. Wes Whisler contributed nicely on offense for the 2nd game in a row, going 2-3 with a solo HR. Gio made his debut tonight for Kanny, giving up 3 runs (2 ER) in 3 IP. Nice relief from Orionny Lopez, going 2 IP and giving up 0 runs. Deininger was shelled in relief, giving up 7 ER in 2 IP. Seth Morris, normally an OF'er, made his first pitching appearance of the year, giving up 2 ER in 1 IP. Kanny Box

Bristol lost 5-0. Javier Castillo was 2-4. Jose De Los Santos was 0-3. Brandon Allen had a day to forget, going 0-4 with 2 errors at 1B. Jay Marshall had a strong start, but got the loss by giving up 1 run (earned) in 6 IP. He also recorded 7 k's and 1 bb. Bristol Box

Great Falls won 6-2. Donny Lucy was 2-4 with a double and 2 rbi. Ryan McCarthy was 1-4 with a run scored. Josh Hansen was 1-3 with a rbi. Ray Liotta had a very good start, giving up 0 runs in 5.1 IP. He also recorded 5 k's. Demetrius Banks got the win, pitching 2 innngs of relief, in which he gave up 1 unearned run. Great Falls Box

Congrats to Whisler for his first professional Home Run. Are they serious about playing him both ways though? Like do they plan on letting him do it all the way through?

Long term he's going to be a pitcher I think.

If I'm not mistaken, that was supposedly the plan. But so far, he's been hitting very well and I don't know which he'll be long term. IMO, I would probably say pitcher as well.

They were making him develop a splitter to go with his other 3 pitches I heard, so that looks like the plan to have him pitching.

He'll be giving up hitting probably at the end of the year from what I've been told. This is just something he wants to do and for the time being the organizatoin is going to let him.

Of course if he is really raking the ball and pitching awesome, I'm guessing he'll be allowed to continue both.

Aww, I'm sad to see Gio not do so well in his first start, but he probably had the jitters, so I'm not too worried - just odd seeing four walks in only three innings, he had damn good control at Bristol IIRC.

Good to see Fields and Sweeney are raking. Those two will probably move up in the system at about the same pace, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Birmy in '05, Charlotte in '06 with potential September appearances in '06, maybe even a bit earlier that season.

Well Fields was allegedly told he would have a shot at making Birmingham this season. He has done well since scuffling early, which is natural for a rookie. I think it's possible he could see Bham, though I don't know why the Sox want to rush him along. With the way they are rushing him he could start the '06 season with the Sox. I would like to see the Sox do what you said though.

Aww, I'm sad to see Gio not do so well in his first start, but he probably had the jitters, so I'm not too worried - just odd seeing four walks in only three innings, he had damn good control at Bristol IIRC.

Good to see Fields and Sweeney are raking.  Those two will probably move up in the system at about the same pace, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Birmy in '05, Charlotte in '06 with potential September appearances in '06, maybe even a bit earlier that season.

Yeah, that's definitely weird to see Gio have control problems. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he give up all his runs in the 4 inning? Maybe he got a little tired isn't the most he went so far 3 innings but mostly 1 and 2?