Latest scoop on Mets-Bucs-Sox deal

YASNY

According to rumors out of Pittsburgh and New York on Thursday night, the White Sox are going to acquire Mets outfielder Cliff Floyd in a three-way trade today.

The Pirates also would be involved, and they'd get third baseman Ty Wiggington and minor-league pitcher Matt Peterson from the Mets in exchange for starting pitcher Kris Benson.

The White Sox would send a minor-league prospect, believed to be Class A Winston-Salem outfielder Ryan Sweeney, to Pittsburgh.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting development in the proposed three way deal.

This move would ultimately fill our void in RF, in addition to providing another power left-handed bat into the lineup. Floyds average (.189) against LHP is poor, although his solid split against RHP (.315) does offset this.

I'd question the validity of Floyd's name merely because he's been very productive for the Mets offense. They're 6 games out in the NL East, and while the Wild Card is out of reach I'd question why the team with the lowest pitching ERA would trade their key slugger.

Sure, its painful watching KW deal another highly touted prospect (within our organization), but when you analyze this deal straight up its win F'N win. Sox acquire instant offense while Buckos recieve their intended prospect. Unless Sweeney puts it all together quickly, he's still another 3 years from the majors. Pittsburgh Pirates can wait, we can't.

Hell no....cliff floyd for ryan sweeney????

man, not good.

Sweeney is 3 years away from helping the Sox in any capacity. The Sox have a lot of minor league OF talent with Anderson, Borchard, Nanita, Young, Brice.

Floyd is a gamer in the Everett mold. He'd look good coming home to Chi. Maggs is probably not coming back this season.

Floyd has been hurt all yr and has cried about wanting to retire for 2 months and for Sweeney ...HELL NO

Floyd's played in 70 games this year. [out of 90 something]

Floyd played through an injury last year which required surgery but didn't get it until the Mets were eliminated from the playoffs. Mets fans respect this guy. This is a guy who doesn't "cry". So if you have a link where he's stated this please post

I don't get to see much minor league action so I can't comment too much on Sweeney. But from what I've read and the little bit I've seen, Sweeney could be huge someday. He handled ML pitching in ST, granted it was ST but he handled it better than ole Jeremy Reed. He's done well at each level he's played at. So we trade him away for what? I understand that Floyd is a bat that we need, but does he do anything beside giving us a slightly better shot at the AL Central crown? This team isn't going to go any further than that, Floyd or no Floyd, without Maggs and Big Frank we aren't a WS caliber team IMO. I'm all about prospects for proven talent, but only if the proven talent will help you achieve big things. I don't see that as the case here.

As far as Floyd himself, yeah, I like the pickup. He is an aging gamer that could provide some more LH pop in the heart of our order. Decent OBP and should hit very well at the Cell. Anyone know his contract status?

I don't know, it's not a horrible deal but I don't like gambling the future on this 2004 White Sox team. As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather make the WS push next year when we hopefully have health on our side. The core of this team, with the possible exception of Maggs, will still be here next season.

Interesting development in the proposed three way deal.

This move would ultimately fill our void in RF, in addition to providing another power left-handed bat into the lineup. Floyds average (.189) against LHP is poor, although his solid split against RHP (.315) does offset this.

I'd question the validity of Floyd's name merely because he's been very productive for the Mets offense. They're 6 games out in the NL East, and while the Wild Card is out of reach I'd question why the team with the lowest pitching ERA would trade their key slugger.

Sure, its painful watching KW deal another highly touted prospect (within our organization), but when you analyze this deal straight up its win F'N win.  Sox acquire instant offense while Buckos recieve their intended prospect.  Unless Sweeney puts it all together quickly, he's still another 3 years from the majors.  Pittsburgh Pirates can wait, we can't.

Eric Valent could play LF. He's had limited playing time but has produced when he's started. He bats LH and is posting similar numbers as Floyd. The Mets have tried the big payroll guys and might have more luck with guys like David Wright and Valent over higher paid vets, esp. if they can improve their pitching.

My only question is if it would take more than Sweeney from the Sox, like a relief pitcher [Kelly Wunsch?] as well. The Mets trading Ty Winnington [sp?] and Floyd for Benson seems out of whack

Overall, I agree, it would be a win, trading a guy who won't be in the bigs for 3 years.

I don't know, it's not a horrible deal but I don't like gambling the future on this 2004 White Sox team.  As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather make the WS push next year when we hopefully have health on our side.  The core of this team, with the possible exception of Maggs, will still be here next season.

This would be a deal to get the Sox into the playoffs. Once there, anything could happen. Sweeney wouldn't help the Sox next year, or even in 2006. Kw is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Sox fans are packing the Cell and if nothing is done, doesn't that say KW is writing off the year? The Sox have this year and next to win, with Lee and PK FA's after 2005. They have as good as shot as any this year. No need to wait. A deal like this would make Maggs a FA, with the Sox getting draft picks to restock their system. The Sox can't really afford to give one player $13 mill, and even more so after the knee injury.

The Sox need another big bat and OBP guy. Floyd could provide that, with Carlos probably moving down to #2 and Willie and Rowand splitting lead off. Not many other deals could land the sox a #1, #2 or #3 hitter.

Also this deal prevents Minn from getting Benson [not a huge pickup, but better than what they got now and could in a waiver deal]

BTW- Floyd is signed through 2006 making $6.5 mill a year.

Has anyone noticed that in December he'll be 34 f***ing years old?

I have no problem in trading Sweeney, but Floyd's numbers are in decline

hr rbi obp slg avg

2001 31 103 .390 .578 .317

2002 28 79 .434 .289

2003 18 68 .376 .518 .290

2004 13 46 .357 .498 .278

I hope it works out but I'm not optimistic or thrilled by Floyd. Hell of a barber, tho.

I don't know, it's not a horrible deal but I don't like gambling the future on this 2004 White Sox team.  As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather make the WS push next year when we hopefully have health on our side.  The core of this team, with the possible exception of Maggs, will still be here next season.

Who's to say next year Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Marte and Takatsu don't all come down with injuries? The Sox should make their push now when they have a solid chance at winning. Though they are trading away young talent, the sox still have young guys to build around [crede, harris, rowand, uribe, the pitching]. Also, Rowand's development makes OF guys in the minors trade bait. He's proving he's a solid .290, .300 hitter who plays good defense.

The Sox pitching is in good shape, relatively speaking health wise when you look at other teams around the league. It actually might make more sense to make a push now when the arms are healthy, then when a few bats are missing. At least with the bats, 9 guys could help carry the load. With pitching, you must replace quality with similar quality

If its Floyd, do the deal.... With all do respect to Sweeney, prospects like this are a dime a dozen. Next year there will be another guy coming along "that we just can't trade." Look, this team hasn't won a home playoff game since 1959! I am sick of waiting for next year and I am equally sick of holding on to "can't miss prospects" at the expense of winning now only to find the prospects are more like Scot Ruffcorn than Mags Ordonez. Do the deal.

Wow, that's all I can say right now. Personally I wouldn't deal Sweeney for Floyd, I think Sweeney's going to be a hell of a player someday, much better than Floyd will be in his time here. Of course KW is not the one to wait around for someone as young and not as developed as Sweeney to come up, so that has to be taken into consideration. Personally I thought we'd might get Jose Mesa or even Rob Machiowiak, since the Twinkies aren't going to get Benson now, unless this deal really benefits us KW should stay away. I think if he tried hard enough today, he could probably get Cory Lidle or Paul Wilson without giving up Sweeney if he decided to go that route. But the question to be asked out of this is will Cliff Floyd win us this division? He's not an AL player so you'll have to take that into consideration, and he's extremely injury prone.

Wow, that's all I can say right now. Personally I wouldn't deal Sweeney for Floyd, I think Sweeney's going to be a hell of a player someday, much better than Floyd will be in his time here. Of course KW is not the one to wait around for someone as young and not as developed as Sweeney to come up, so that has to be taken into consideration. Personally I thought we'd might get Jose Mesa or even Rob Machiowiak, since the Twinkies aren't going to get Benson now, unless this deal really benefits us KW should stay away. I think if he tried hard enough today, he could probably get Cory Lidle or Paul Wilson without giving up Sweeney if he decided to go that route. But the question to be asked out of this is will Cliff Floyd win us this division? He's not an AL player so you'll have to take that into consideration, and he's extremely injury prone.

in the newspapers out here today the reds gm said he's not trading lidle or wilson. take that fwiw.