Latest scoop on Mets-Bucs-Sox deal

YASNY

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with this deal .... at all.

Me neither. Unless I want to see this team further self distruct which is what will happen without another bat. Sweeney will do nothing for us for another 2 years at least...

I don't think I would trade a guy with the potential of

Sweeney for someone likely to join Magglio and Frank on the DL. He gets hurt almost every year. Floyd is already hinting at retirement, and doesn't want to play here, even though he is from the area. The White Sox were one of the 4 or 5 teams he couldn't be traded to in his last contract.

in the newspapers out here today the reds gm said he's not trading lidle or wilson. take that fwiw.

They've lost 8 straight, and they won't be getting the Wild Card now, I'm sure I read in 1 newspaper article somewhere that they're not untouchable.

I don't think I would trade a guy with the potential of

Sweeney for someone likely to join Magglio and Frank on the DL. He gets hurt almost every year. Floyd is already hinting at retirement, and doesn't want to play here, even though he is from the area. The White Sox were one of the 4 or 5 teams he couldn't be traded to in his last contract.

Does he still have a no trade clause? If that's the case, maybe Mike Cameron could be the outfielder to get. :o

Floyd's numbers have been in decline. He is certainly injury prone. And I've also read the stuff in the New York papers about him wanting to retire in a year or two. Also remember that he had something in his contract about not wanting to come to the Sox when Montreal was getting ready to dump him. Thought that was strange because I believe he is from Thornridge HS, right?

Overall, I'm against this deal.

Rather see them pick up Catalanatto -- at a much reduced price.

I realize prospects come around all the time. The love Sweeney is getting today is the same love Borchard was getting three years ago -- and nobody would cry is Borchard was in the deal today.

But ... I don't think Cliff Floyd, at this point in his career, is worth it. Sooner or later one of these deals is really going to come back to burn us because in the last year we have essentially emptied the farm system.

They've lost 8 straight, and they won't be getting the Wild Card now, I'm sure I read in 1 newspaper article somewhere that they're not untouchable.

as i said, take it fwiw.

here's the clip. it's from this morning's columbus dispatch in their "rumblings" column. i'd link but it's a pay site:

"The Texas Rangers have been looking for a starting pitcher and one call they made was to Reds general manager Dan O'Brien. But the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that O'Brien told the Rangers he wouldn't part with Paul Wilson or Cory Lidle, who are free agents after the season.

Chief operating officer John Allen told the Cincinnati Enquirer last week that fans needn't fear a repeat of last season's fire sale, during which seven veterans were trade in July and August. "The situation is totally different than last year," Allen said.

as i said, take it fwiw.

here's the clip. it's from this morning's columbus dispatch in their "rumblings" column. i'd link but it's a pay site:

"The Texas Rangers have been looking for a starting pitcher and one call they made was to Reds general manager Dan O'Brien. But the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that O'Brien told the Rangers he wouldn't part with Paul Wilson or Cory Lidle, who are free agents after the season.

Chief operating officer John Allen told the Cincinnati Enquirer last week that fans needn't fear a repeat of last season's fire sale, during which seven veterans were trade in July and August. "The situation is totally different than last year," Allen said.

I've heard that owner Carl Pohlad? is looking for any excuse to cut payroll, he may just have found it with this 8 game losing streak. How would you like him for an owner. :lol:

I just checked Sweeney's numbers in AA and he is hitting .281-5-50. Those are decent numbers but nothing overwhelming. Look, he might be a decent prospect, but he is clearly 2-3 years away from contributing at the major league level. We are talking about a franchise here that desperately needs an upgrade in the offense if they are going to win this year. If they do nothing, I fear we are looking at another wasted and underachieving year. If you want to win now you make this deal and figure out the rest later. Its not like the Sox have done a whole lot of winning the last 30 years and I think most fans wouldn't mind temporarly depeleting the farm system if it means getting to the playoffs. Besides, the farm system will be restocked in two years (did the Sox have a huge draft this year?)

I just checked Sweeney's numbers in AA and he is hitting .281-5-50.  Those are decent numbers but nothing overwhelming.  Look, he might be a decent prospect, but he is clearly 2-3 years away from contributing at the major league level.  We are talking about a franchise here that desperately needs an upgrade in the offense if they are going to win this year.  If they do nothing, I fear we are looking at another wasted and underachieving year.  If you want to win now you make this deal and figure out the rest later. Its not like the Sox have done a whole lot of winning the last 30 years and I think most fans wouldn't mind temporarly depeleting the farm system if it means getting to the playoffs.  Besides, the farm system will be restocked in two years (did the Sox have a huge draft this year?)

Sweeney really struggled early, but he's been on a tear lately. He'll be in AA soon enough, at least by the start of next season. Of course if KW thinks Cliff Floyd is the difference between us making the playoffs or not making it then he should go for it. Otherwise if it doesn't work out, I'm sure people like Steff and Alex will definitely question him on this one at SoxFest. :lol:

Trading prospects for players that have seen their better days is dangerous. KW trades Sweeney now, that's one less chip, one less huge chip he has to play with in the future. If KW does this, and I am still very skeptical, it probably will be a career defining moment for him. If Floyd gets hurt or doesn't produce, and the Sox farm system is down another top prospect, KW probably should be looking for work. If Floyd gets hot and leads the Sox deep into the playoffs, KW is executive of the year, and will elevate his status to GM as long as he wants to be.

You guys who are so anxious to trade Sweeney are nuts. 14 months ago he was in high school. He goes straight to High A Ball and succeeds. It's not like he is hitting .280 in Great Falls. If we have to trade him, do it next year and we can get a lot more than Cliff Floyd for him. Anyone who thinks Old Cliff will put us over the top are naive.

Trading prospects for players that have seen their better days is dangerous. KW trades Sweeney now, that's one less chip, one less huge chip he has to play with in the future. If KW does this, and I am still very skeptical, it probably will be a career defining moment for him. If Floyd gets hurt or doesn't produce, and the Sox farm system is down another top prospect, KW probably should be looking for  work. If Floyd gets hot and leads the Sox deep into the playoffs, KW is executive of the year, and will elevate his status to GM as long as he wants to be.

I disagree. KW is down his top 2 hitters. He's trying to upgrade a very inconsistent offense when not many players are available via trade. IMO, this is not a "defining moment" that his career should rest upon. The Sox have scouts who tell KW whether or not a player can do the job. Their careers may rest upon a deadline deal but not KW's.

Sweeney is 19, one year out of high school.

I doubt there are five guys his age in the Carolina League.

He started slowly, but I believe he is third in the league in hits.

He's probably hitting .320-plus over the last six weeks.

Hasn't shown much power, but most guys don't do that for awhile after shifting from aluminum to wooden bats.

As I said earlier, I'd prefer to see the Sox trade a much lesser prospect for Catalanatto.

Cliff Floyd is OK, but he's not a difference maker.

One other thought: I believe Floyd was in Florida with Ozzie for one season. I wonder what the manager thinks about this.

I've been in Kw's corner for a while, and still am, but im not a fan of this deal, AT ALL. IMO, with Sweeny gone, the only really guy we have to look forward to is Anderson, who is years away.

What happened to the days of Reed, Borchard Anderson and Sweeny???

And Ryan is a couple years away also.

I don't like trading away the farm either... but the alternative is sitting around with our thumbs up our butts and looking forward to next year.. or the year after that.

We'll soon sound like Cub fans. :puke