Official 6 player deal

Holy crap did DePodesta just fleece Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1849414

Are you drunk? How is this a fleecing? The Marlins get one of the best set-up men in baseball to team up with Benitez. They get an all-star catcher. And another pretty good player in Juan Encarnacion. The Marlins have enough starting pitching "with a healthy Beckett" to absorb the loss of Penny.

Are you drunk?  How is this a fleecing?  The Marlins get one of the ebst set-up men in baseball to team up with Benitez.  They get an all-star catcher.  And another pretty good player in Juan Encarnacion.  The Marlins have enough starting pitching "with a healthy Beckett" to absorb the loss of Penny.

Are YOU drunk?

The Dodgers get a 26 year old frontline starter, a very good young first baseman with an OPS around 900 AND a top prospect to boot.

The Marlins get Mota, a very good setup man, an overrated, sub 800 OPS in LoDuca and a crappy OF in Encarnacion.

Add to the fact that the Dodgers swung a deal for CJ and they come out so far ahead it's not even funny.

Are YOU drunk?

The Dodgers get a 26 year old frontline starter, a very good young first baseman with an OPS around 900 AND a top prospect to boot.

The Marlins get Mota, a very good setup man, an overrated, sub 800 OPS in LoDuca and a crappy OF in Encarnacion.

Add to the fact that the Dodgers swung a deal for CJ and they come out so far ahead it's not even funny.

The Marlins have been desperate for a catcher since I-rod left. Now the've got an all-star caliber one. Name 5 better set up man/closer combo's than Mota/Benetiz? Juan Encarnacion is a solid player with good power, who can also play defense. They obviously feel they have enough pitching "assuming Beckett is healthy". Both teams made out well in this trade.

Are YOU drunk?

Agreed. I dont know why the Marlins would give them a 26 year old stud who can be a #1 on some teams and a 25 year old 1st baseman who has power, good eye (will only get better in time and will probably have more walks than K's) and a good OBP. The only good/young player they got in return was Mota but he sometimes isn't a sure thing. Last year was his only good year (he's doing good this year as well) and who knows what can happen with him down the line. Lo Duca is good, but he has been overrated in this league. I'll gladly pull out the numbers to back it up. Encarnacion.. :puke

I think both teams made out well, but I think LA/Depodesta got the better of it.

Choi is already an excellent player, with developing power and a great eye (15 HR, .388 OBP).

Like it has been said, Penny is an excellent pitcher. And I always think a starter is > than a reliever, JMHO.

But then again, Florida already has a solid staff, so they now have one of the best one-two punches in the game, with Mota and Benitez.

Well, considering that the Marlins still have Beckett, Willis, Burnett, and Pavano, I think that they just became a much better team in the short term.

Los Angeles got the better of the deal if we're talking about the long term, though. Penny is merely "very good" at the current time. I can see him making a run at the Cy Young award in maybe two years from now.

Juan Encarnacion is not as bad as some of you are making him out to be. He had 37 doubles, 20 home runs, and 6 triples last year for the Marlins. He also drove in 95 RBI and had 20 stolen bases. His OPS might have sucked, but those are some nice numbers to have out of the 6th or 7th spot in your order. And the Marlins definitely need some offense right about now.

Paul Lo Duca is overrated? We're talking about a lifetime .290 hitter who is batting .300 against righties and .315 against lefties this year. Don't forget that he hits in a park where .270 is a good average. And from what I've seen, the man can call a great game from behind the plate, and play some mean defense while he's at it.

Good trade for the 2004-2005 Marlins, but very bad for the 2006 Marlins and beyond.

But then again, they might know something that we don't. How often does Penny get injured? What are his long term prospects of staying healthy? I seem to recall numerous injuries over the past couple of years.

And Kazmir for Zambarno isn't that big of a steal. I've heard that Kazmir has had some trouble developing his changeup, but a solid gamble by the D-Rays.

Great deal for the Mets.

Scott Kazmir high school pitcher...already had an injury this year...considering a move to the bullpen. Why not take a chance trading him?

This is an awesome trade for Florida. With Castro down and Redmond not playing too well they needed a catcher. Also, Conine has been pretty bad all year, which is where Encarnacion comes in. They have friggin Koch as a setup guy, so Mota is a blessing.They traded one prospect, Choi and Penny. Penny would have been after the year anyways and Choi can be replaced. They still have Jason Stokes down in Carolina and Conine and Lo Duca can also play first base. I dont see how the Dodgers got the better of the deal. The Fish have plenty of candidates to fill in for Penny(Alvarez, Howard, Wayne)

Agreed. I dont know why the Marlins would give them a 26 year old stud who can be a #1 on some teams

Arbitration eligible at the end of the year, we wouldnt have signed him anyways, and we have better pitchers with better futures (Willis, Beckett, Burnett). This also frees up money to go after Pavano in the off season