PartyPoker.net

Brian

Partypoker kicks ass. I play it. The only problem is play money sucks because idiots don't care and just go all in. We are gonna have to organize a soxtalk poker tournament.

Sounds Good. SoxTalk's own World Poker Tour. :lol:

Can someone explain to me how to play Hold-Em?  I think I get it - but I just want to make sure - basically, you just have to have the best hand, with the your cards, the community cards, the river, etc?

You're dealt two hole cards, face down...those are your cards and your cards alone. After a round of betting and folding, you then get the flop, and you bet again, then the turn comes, you bet again, and the river comes, and you bet again. After that, you turn over your cards, and see who has the best hand.

That's just the general rules of it. You can dig way deeper then that once you get into the strategy of the game itself...playing tight, playing loose, betting styles, changing gears, when to bluff, when not to bluff, when to call, when not to call.

You also have to note the blinds as well...the blinds are paid by the two people left of the dealer...the person directly to the left of the dealer pays the small blind, and the person to the left of the small blind pays the big blind(if you understand what I'm talking about).

If you want to know more, you can go to Card Player and click on the rules of the game, and then click hold em, which is just under that. And if you have some money, and you want to know even more then that, there are quite a few books written about poker in general...some on just hold em, and some include games like Omaha, Seven Card Stud, Razz, as well as many others(like I believe Doyle Brunson's Super System does).

Hope this helps!

I think if we have a tournament it has definitely got to be No Limit Texas.    I think that is the most fun variation of poker.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, WSF. But - maybe another stupid question, but anyways - what does the 'no limit', as opposed to a 'limit' mean? Does that just refer to the betting - and how much money you can put down?

Thanks for clearing that up for me, WSF.  But - maybe another stupid question, but anyways - what does the 'no limit', as opposed to a 'limit' mean?  Does that just refer to the betting - and how much money you can put down?

In limit you can only raise up to a certain amount (which would be the limit). In no limit you can shove all your chips into the pot at any time in the hand.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, WSF.  But - maybe another stupid question, but anyways - what does the 'no limit', as opposed to a 'limit' mean?  Does that just refer to the betting - and how much money you can put down?

No limit means that you can bet everything that you have left as far as chips. When you play with a limit there is a limit of chips that you can bet for the hand. I agree bighurt, no limit TH is the way to go.