Today's game

clujer420

Actually, the Hawk was mentioning that Loaiza's fastball will peek at around 86-87 and he's lost a bit of velocity over the years, however, he was saying that his fastball is"sneaky fast", because of all the offspeed s*** he throws....mentioned that the batters can't tee up on his fastball because he's not throwing that often....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 7

Joe Borchard in for Magglio Ordonez in RF

Gary Glover in for Arnie Munoz (1 IP, 2 hits, 1 run for Arnie)

- Harris hits liner into RF falls in front of Borchard. Lead-off batter on for the Cubbies

- Cummings hits flyball to CF. Caught by Rowand. 1 down, Harris stays put

- Charles Gipson gets HBP. 2 on, 1 out

They're saying that Glover has a great attitude and could be very valuable for the Sox because he can come in and give you 1/3 of an inning or step in and spot start for you (much like Sean Lowe did when he was with the team). Basically, he's very versatile and could prove to be invaluable. They say he's a lock to make the team.

- Popup caught by Jamie Burke. 2 down

- Damian Miller hits grounder to Hummell, who forces Gipson and 2nd to retire the side.

1 hit, 1 HBP, 2 left on for the Cubbies in their half of the 7th

Through 6 1/2, Sox lead it 6-2

Bottom 7

- Daubach (1st AB) stares at strike 3 on the outside corner. 1 away

They think Brian will hit about 10 HR because his AB's will be limited. That can change, of course, if there are injuries.

- Valenzuela (1st AB) grounds out to SS after a long at-bat. 2 down

- Hummell (1st AB) flies out to right. Inning over

Through 7, Sox still up 6-2.

Top 8

Mike Porzio on for Gary Glover (1 IP, 1 hit, 1 HBP, 0 ER for Glover)

- Trinidad Hubbard hits one down the RF line for a lead-off double

They're saying that Porzio is on the bubble more than any other Sox player.

- Bobby Hill drives one into the gap..run scores..6-3 Sox..Hill hesitates and is still at 1st

- Someone strikes out. 1 down

- Fielder's choice hit by Choi. 2 down, Choi on 1st

- Strike out to end the inning.

1 run, 2 hits, 1 left on

Through 7 1/2, Sox lead it 6-3

Hawk just mentioned that his "metabolism usually kicks in around Feb 1, but he so psyched about this year that his metabolism kicked in just after the New Year".........what???????????????? :huh:  :D

Heh...Hawk's sayin that he goes into hybernation in the off-season, and normally doesn't wake up until February, but he's excited about the Sox chances this season so he woke up early. Kinda like when you're a kid. On a normal day, you wake up at like 8. But on Christmas morning, you wake up at 5:30. Same principle. :)

:bringit

JM said during the game (from the dugout) when questioned about whether he'll bring up 11 or 12 pitchers, that good staffs only need 11 pitchers and we're a good staff.....that said, I wonder if the earlier comments about Glover being a lock all but shut Porzio out.....just a thought....

Bottom 8

- Rowand (1-3; single) strikes out

- Jamie Burke (1st AB) hits a 1-out double to left

- Jorge Nunez (1st AB) grounds one to left. Burke scores to make it 7-3

- Harris (0-1) flies one to left-center, Hubbard f***s up and drops it :blink:, and runners are now at 1st and 2nd

"I swear, I'm watching the bad news bears" -- one of the announcers, :lol:

- Rios (0-1) hits jammer to 3rd, it falls, 3rd baseman makes the play and throw to get Rios. 2 out, runners at 2nd and 3rd

- Borchard (1st AB) BOMBSSSS one out of here on a 3-2 pitch and the Sox lead it 10-3. Atta boy Joe Joe

They think that, barring a trade, Borchard would be the opening day starter if Rowand is unavailable for some reason. They mentioned that Griffey Jr is available, but I personally don't see that happening, nor do I want it to. I'd rather have the Sox spend $15M on pitching.

- Daubach (0-1) hits one deep to CF, but it's caught for the 3rd out.

4 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

End 8, Sox in control 10-3

Bottom 8

- Rowand (1-3; single) strikes out

- Jamie Burke (1st AB) hits a 1-out double to left

- Jorge Nunez (1st AB) grounds one to left.  Burke scores to make it 7-3

- Harris (0-1) flies one to left-center, Hubbard f***s up and drops it :blink:, and runners are now at 1st and 2nd

"I swear, I'm watching the bad news bears" -- one of the announcers, :lol:

- Rios (0-1) hits jammer to 3rd, it falls, 3rd baseman makes the play and throw to get Rios.  2 out, runners at 2nd and 3rd

- Borchard (1st AB) BOMBSSSS one out of here on a 3-2 pitch and the Sox lead it 10-3.  Atta boy Joe Joe

They think that, barring a trade, Borchard would be the opening day starter if Rowand is unavailable for some reason.  They mentioned that Griffey Jr is available, but I personally don't see that happening, nor do I want it to.  I'd rather have the Sox spend $15M on pitching.

- Daubach (0-1) hits one deep to CF, but it's caught for the 3rd out.

4 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

End 8, Sox in control 10-3

only way we would get griffey is if the reds picked up a huge chunk of that salary and take some prospects for him.

Top of the 9th

Mike Porzio (1 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER) out, and Tom Gordon in to face his old team

Miles in for an injured (?) Willie Harris (:huh:)

- Liner to left-center falls for a lead-off basehit

- Strike out on a curve for the 1st out of the inning. 1 down, 1 on

They say Gordon looks twice as good as he did last season. That's a good sign, no doubt

- Hook swung on and missed for strike 3 and the 2nd out

They say one of the keys to 2003 will be getting to Koch (guys like Gordon, Wunsch, Marte, etc). I agree.

- Swung on and missed for strike 3.

Gordon strikes out the side after a lead-off single.

SOX WIN, SOX WIN (ok fine, they beat the Cubs' split-squad, but it's still a win :P )

10-3 Good guys...stats forth-coming

Gordon had a real wicked hook today....these 3 scrubs who faced him had no chance....Hawk was pumped talking about Marte, Gordon and Koch....the fact that we have three guys who could be the closer on any team...

Looked as if Harris pulled his left hammy....he grabbed it running around first base.....ok, HSC, MIles just might get his chance... ;)

JM said during the game (from the dugout) when questioned about whether he'll bring up 11 or 12 pitchers, that good staffs only need 11 pitchers and we're a good staff.....that said, I wonder if the earlier comments about Glover being a lock all but shut Porzio out.....just a thought....

later on though he also said that if wright cant go and loiaza gets tghe 4th spot that he would reconsider taking 12 pitchers because he doesnt believe loiaza can give him the number of innings wright could..so we will have to see

Wow, now if only the SOx could play like this every game :headbang

Loaiza another QUALITY start (i hope he makes it), Olivo gunning down guys, LEE succeeding on the bases :o , Borchard homer yet again, succesful hit and runs, guys getting on to lead off innings...

Now if the sox continue to play like this all season, 100 wins would be no problem :headbang

Here are the important stats for today's game

Pitching

Loaiza 5 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 6 K, 0 bb

Munoz 1 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER

Glover 1 IP, 1 hit, 1 HBP, 0 R

Porzio 1 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER

Gordon 1 IP, 1 hit, 3 K

Hitting

Jimenez 1-4, single, ROE

Valentin 1-3, single

Thomas 1-1, single, RBI, bb, HBP

Ordonez 1-4, single, RBI

Konerko 1-3, single

Crede 1-3, single

Borchard 1-1, HR, 3 RBI

Lee 2-3, 2 singles, RBI, ROE

Olivo 1-2, single, bb

Nunez 1-1, RBI

Daubach 0-2

Harris 0-2, ROE

Hummell 0-1

Burke 1-1, double

Valenzuela 0-1

Players of the game are Loaiza, Borchard, Thomas, Lee, and Gordon.

Very nice game, albeit against a crappy team.

Wow, now if only the SOx could play like this every game :headbang

Loaiza another QUALITY start (i hope he makes it), Olivo gunning down guys, LEE succeeding on the bases :o , Borchard homer yet again, succesful hit and runs, guys getting on to lead off innings...

Now if the sox continue to play like this all season, 100 wins would be no problem :headbang

if only we could play teams with bobby hill and chop suey on them every game :lol:

I was not exactly thrilled with the signings of White and Loaiza, thinking that we should stick with our own youngsters, and I did not want Kenny Rogers.  I have changed my mind on Loaiza.  I always wanted Flash, however.  Loaiza could be the Cal Eldrid of 2000.

actually cal eldred might be the cal eldred of '00 :lol: ..man is he having a good spring for st louis

I was not exactly thrilled with the signings of White and Loaiza, thinking that we should stick with our own youngsters, and I did not want Kenny Rogers.  I have changed my mind on Loaiza.  I always wanted Flash, however.  Loaiza could be the Cal Eldrid of 2000.

actually cal eldred might be the cal eldred of '00 :lol: ..man is he having a good spring for st louis

Jeez Cal is a stud....it would be a helluva story if he came back and helped St. Louis win a pennant and then eventually a World Series. Kile tragically dies the previous season...and then a guy comes from his baseball grave to give it one last chance and helps them win it all.

They'll (hopefully) have to get by us first.

Awesome job as usual Clujer.  Also, special thanks to DASOXROX for his comments.

Rock on the two of ya  :headbang

Great job Clujer. I missed the game I had a class this afternoon and played basketball after. Thanks for the play by play!! It seems like I saw the game for the complete coverage!