Elo Could of Been a Met

Chisoxfn

Now I'm purely speculating here, but if the Mets in one way, shape or form, offered Scott Kazmir for Esteban Loaiza then KW should of accepted it, regardless for what it meant for the team.

The acquisition of Kazmir could A, add a chip to deal for another stud pitcher, or preferably, open up the gates to deal some of the Sox other pitchers and keep McCarthy and Kazmir for the future.

I realize they are playing for now, but Elo is doing nothing to show he deserves that. The Sox are doing nothing to show they should be playing for it all.

I think they will stand pat, and maybe make a deal during the waiver deadline, if and only if they get back into this race and start playing good baseball.

If not, they'll keep guys like Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland and you'll see a lot of rebuilding, not where they won't compete next year, but to the fact that Ozzie can have a team that fits his style more, persay.

I also found it interesting that Ozzie was pissed when he thought they were going to deal Sweeney. That tells me he must be a heck of a player. To think an A baller made that type of impression on the manager really says something.

Oh ya, I will stick to my guns, Borchard should be dealt and should of been dealt over Reed if in fact the Mariners would of taken him instead. I don't understand the organizations fascination and this has nothing to do with his play with the White Sox, but everything to do with his lack of sucess the past few years in a hitters park known as Charlotte.

Now I'm purely speculating here, but if the Mets in one way, shape or form, offered Scott Kazmir for Esteban Loaiza then KW should of accepted it, regardless for what it meant for the team.

The acquisition of Kazmir could A, add a chip to deal for another stud pitcher, or preferably, open up the gates to deal some of the Sox other pitchers and keep McCarthy and Kazmir for the future.

I realize they are playing for now, but Elo is doing nothing to show he deserves that.  The Sox are doing nothing to show they should be playing for it all. 

I think they will stand pat, and maybe make a deal during the waiver deadline, if and only if they get back into this race and start playing good baseball.

If not, they'll keep guys like Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland and you'll see a lot of rebuilding, not where they won't compete next year, but to the fact that Ozzie can have a team that fits his style more, persay. 

I also found it interesting that Ozzie was pissed when he thought they were going to deal Sweeney.  That tells me he must be a heck of a player.  To think an A baller made that type of impression on the manager really says something.

Oh ya, I will stick to my guns, Borchard should be dealt and should of been dealt over Reed if in fact the Mariners would of taken him instead.  I don't understand the organizations fascination and this has nothing to do with his play with the White Sox, but everything to do with his lack of sucess the past few years in a hitters park known as Charlotte.

I think Borcahrd hasn't been traded cause of the signing bonus. Reinsdork wants to get something out of the 5.3 million before giving up on Borchard. That's why reed was traded. I don't think it was Kenny who didn't want to trade Borchard it's Reinsdorf. That's just IMHO

Sun Times posted an article this morning briefly discusing the Mets interest in Loaiza. No mention of potential prospects involved in the deal. I completely understand KW's desire to keep Loaiza in our rotation. Its not exactly deep, and if traded there's no player available (in the minors) to replace him. When you look at our five starters you really begin to envy the Cubs, who are actually humoring talks of trading Matt Clement.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep31.html

Although this doesn't pertain to the topic, there's one paragraph within the story which grabbed my attention.

A number of factors have tied the Sox' hands of late, including a diminishing talent pool in the minor leagues to offer in trades, an unwillingness to add to the payroll and Magglio Ordonez's knee injury.

If true, it refutes everything printed in newspapers and contradicts a recent interview with Jerry Reinsdorf on WCIU. Was Williams not given the green light to add whatever payroll is necessary? A quote along the lines of "substantial increase" comes to mind. Far as the fluff piece with Uncle Jerry few days ago, he was on with Hawk discussing the team. JR said "money was no concern in persuing possible suitors for this team." Bulls***!

Sun Times posted an article this morning briefly discusing the Mets interest in Loaiza.  No mention of potential prospects involved in the deal.  I completely understand KW's desire to keep Loaiza in our rotation.  Its not exactly deep, and if traded there's no player available (in the minors) to replace him.  When you look at our five starters you really begin to envy the Cubs, who are actually humoring talks of trading Matt Clement.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep31.html

Although this doesn't pertain to the topic, there's one paragraph within the story which grabbed my attention. 

If true, it refutes everything printed in newspapers and contradicts a recent interview with Jerry Reinsdorf on WCIU.  Was Williams not given the green light to add whatever payroll is necessary?  A quote along the lines of "substantial increase" comes to mind.  Far as the fluff piece with Uncle Jerry few days ago, he was on with Hawk discussing the team.  JR said "money was no concern in persuing possible suitors for this team."  Bulls***!

Now there's a news flash. JR is cheap. Who'd have thunk it :huh ?

I doubt the Mets would have given the Sox Kazmir for Esty. They have control of Zambrano for a few years, Esty is looking for $8-9 million a year after this one.

If someone gives Loaiza that much a year, they need a swift kick towads the unemployment line.

If true, it refutes everything printed in newspapers and contradicts a recent interview with Jerry Reinsdorf on WCIU.  Was Williams not given the green light to add whatever payroll is necessary?

I recall the Reinsdorf quote you are referring to if it was within the last few days. the 'money is not an object' sentiment struck me and on rereading, though, I concluded it was only with regard to one specific trade scenario being discussed at the moment (maybe Randy Johnson or someone qually high-value - I can't remember).

I decided that quote was NOT to be inferred as giving KW the financial green light for anything else.

Reread the piece again if you can find it and see if you come to the same conclusion.

I think the reason we won't see any big trades go down, is to be honest, you have to start thinking now, this team may not do it. While acquiring a guy would be great, the team doesn't really have the pieces to get the difference makers necessary.

I think the only thing thats left is a deal involving some major league players for other major league players and then a smaller deal with another team involving a few minor leaguers. Kind of like the Dodgers did yesterday.

Like I said if Kazmir were offered for ELo.  KW should have asked how high he had to jump to get the deal done.

KW probably thinks the Sox are a legit contender and is banking his reputation on Maggs and Frank making quick comebacks in time for a possible September run. I'm pretty sure KW refuses to acknowledge the possible grim facts, figures Loaiza is more "run" ready than a minor leaguer if Maggs and Frank return in time, and, as always, KW is probably playing for now.

But playing for now with your two biggest bats out of the line-up for another month at the very least may have disastrous consequences on the White Sox Organization for years to come if Frank and Maggs cannot make an early September return AND be big contributors immediately.

George Offman on the Score just said (2:00) not to be shocked if Loaiza is dealt today.

He doesn't necessarily expect it to happen, but that KW is seeing what he could get for Loaiza.

Take it for what it's worth.

"A number of factors have tied the Sox' hands of late, including a diminishing talent pool in the minor leagues to offer in trades, an unwillingness to add to the payroll and Magglio Ordonez's knee injury. "

If true, it refutes everything printed in newspapers and contradicts a recent interview with Jerry Reinsdorf on WCIU.

JR wouldn't be lying to us through his yellow teeth, would he now?

Nah, couldn't be - a man who'd give up 6 Bulls rings for 1 WS title has too much integrity to mislead the fans in this manner.

;)

George Offman on the Score just said (2:00) not to be shocked if Loaiza is dealt today.

He doesn't necessarily expect it to happen, but that KW is seeing what he could get for Loaiza.

Take it for what it's worth.

Does this mean he's trying to upgrade the team, or that he's selling away potential FA's?

Does this mean he's trying to upgrade the team, or that he's selling away potential FA's?

Imo trade his ass away, he will not regain 2003's form plain and simple. I would rather have diaz out there sucking it up then loaiza.

Well, Loaiza of the last 6 weeks (he of 89 mph fastballs, cutters that don't cut half the time and erratic control) is not much use to us.

Given his ever-so-realistic contract demands, Kenny might as well. We need a hitter.

JR wouldn't be lying to us through his yellow teeth, would he now? 

Nah, couldn't be - a man who'd give up 6 Bulls rings for 1 WS title has too much integrity to mislead the fans in this manner.

;)

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

I would have made a deal of Kazmir for Loaiza, that's for sure. 

And I bet Kenny is asking himself - is Diaz any worse than Loaiza at this point?

Or is he asking himself is Lidle/Wilson/Armas/anyone else any worse then Loaiza?

I know one thing for sure, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the room KW is making these calls from.

All I know is, its not gonna be pretty if we fall too many more games back...

And I KNOW that its just 4 games.... but we are down Maggs, Frank, and maybe even Everett...

If we had a full season, with a healthy Frank, Maggs, and Carl... This wouldnt be happening..

All this means now is we have to play THAT much better, and it is possible.. but I think we need to add something...

Or is he asking himself is Lidle/Wilson/Armas/anyone else any worse then Loaiza?

I know one thing for sure, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the room KW is making these calls from.

Same here - if in fact, Loaiza is on the block - is it trying to get a position player for him, or is it trying to get something out of him (prospects?), and then go after another starter.

It should be a very interesting 25 minutes...

I would have made a deal of Kazmir for Loaiza, that's for sure. 

And I bet Kenny is asking himself - is Diaz any worse than Loaiza at this point?

I'm pretty sure most of us would have loved to have Kazmir for Loaiza and to answer your question about Diaz, I'm not sure but I'd much rather have him out there and I think he could do better.