Major League Rumor Beat

Chisoxfn

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, how good of a prospect is Murton? Epstein said he was disappointed in giving up Murton...was that just him sugar coating this or is Murton actually a decent prospect.

I'm hearing Murton was one of the better prospects in the BoSox organization.

BTW - Can someone give me the RedSox fansites? Isn't it sonsofsamhorn.com?

Guys, how good of a prospect is Murton? Epstein said he was disappointed in giving up Murton...was that just him sugar coating this or is Murton actually a decent prospect.

great bat, actuallu a extremely great bat. limited range and no arm what so ever.

Murton was rated as the Red Sox' 5th best prospect. Here are his strengths and weaknesses. His numbers weren't too great last year, don't know about this year.

Strengths: Murton got pull conscious and lengthened his swing last spring, but he hits better with wood bats because he shortens his stroke and lets his power come naturally. The Cape’s 2002 home run derby winner, he has more pop than any hitter in the system. Boston makes all of its players in Class A or below keep notebooks on hitting, something Murton already did on his own. He runs well for his size and is a four-tool player.

Weaknesses: Murton’s weak throwing arm relegates him to left field. His swing has more effort than Murphy’s does. If he gets much bigger or stronger, his speed and range likely will dip below average.

Are you kidding me?  They had to trade him.  He wasn't gonna re-sign anyway.

Now Derek Lowe can stop pissing his pants everytime he steps on the mound.  He now has a couple people behind him that can catch the ball.  An emotional, short-sighted Red Sox fan might be pissed off, but you gotta look at how this helps the whole team long-term.

I've calmed down quite a bit, but Spiff, does this trade honestly make the Red Sox a better team now and long term, no. Cabrera is a free agent at seasons end, Menkayvitz is overpaid.

A year from now when Matt Murton's in the majors and Nomar's back to his .400 hitting form and all the Red Sox have to show for it is Doug Menkayvitz, I mean come on.

I've calmed down quite a bit, but Spiff, does this trade honestly make the Red Sox a better team now and long term, no.  Cabrera is a free agent at seasons end, Menkayvitz is overpaid.

A year from now when Matt Murton's in the majors and Nomar's back to his .400 hitting form and all the Red Sox have to show for it is Doug Menkayvitz, I mean come on.

Defense was Boston's problem up to this point, and I say you fixed that. I'd like it if I were a Boston fan.

Defense was Boston's problem up to this point, and I say you fixed that.  I'd like it if I were a Boston fan.

Coping with the loss of Nomar, and the fact that he's now on the Cubs of all teams is horrid to think about. Imagine losing your first superstar of your lifetime, after seven years of him being apart of not only your life but your families lives, your freinds lives, and everybody in between.

It's just tough imagining Nomar in a Cubs uniform tommorow..

Coping with the loss of Nomar, and the fact that he's now on the Cubs of all teams is horrid to think about.  Imagine losing your first superstar of your lifetime, after seven years of him being apart of not only your life but your families lives, your freinds lives, and everybody in between.

It's just tough imagining Nomar in a Cubs uniform tommorow..

So... when are you changing the sig? :lol:

Exactly, it's more likely that Brian Anderson will reach the big leagues before Murton.

Naturally I was exaggerating, but realistically speaking he could be in the majors next year. He'll be promoted to double a before the end of the season and he could very well be a September call up next season.

Just saying.

Naturally I was exaggerating, but realistically speaking he could be in the majors next year.  He'll be promoted to double a before the end of the season and he could very well be a September call up next season.

Just saying.

Forgot to add.. he could break his leg and all of this would be a non-factor, regardless giving up Murton was just too much.