Pitching Statistics for Contreras

Yoda

I strongly doubt Loaiza was tipping his pitches. The reasons are pretty clear as to why his was as ineffective this year as he was dominant last year to last to anyone who watched him pitch in both seasons:

• He lost about 4-5 MPH off his velocity and couldn't figure out where it went or how to get it back (I have my suspicions)
  • He didn't throw inside nearly as much last year. He pitched inside fearlessly last year, whereas this year he stayed outside, outside, outside
  • He lost confidence in his cutter, because he thought opposing batters were always looking for it. The cutter coupled with higher velocity were the reasons he succeeded last year
So, lower velocity, staying away from the inside of the plate, and dismissing your best pitch will typically lead to the kind of season Loaiza was having for us this year.

I strongly doubt Loaiza was tipping his pitches. The reasons are pretty clear as to why his was as ineffective this year as he was dominant last year to last to anyone who watched him pitch in both seasons:
  • He lost about 4-5 MPH off his velocity and couldn't figure out where it went or how to get it back (I have my suspicions)

• He didn't throw inside nearly as much last year. He pitched inside fearlessly last year, whereas this year he stayed outside, outside, outside

• He lost confidence in his cutter, because he thought opposing batters were always looking for it. The cutter coupled with higher velocity were the reasons he succeeded last year
So, lower velocity, staying away from the inside of the plate, and dismissing your best pitch will typically lead to the kind of season Loaiza was having for us this year.

I think Losing Olivo hurt some too. H eliked throwing to Olivo

Couldn't have said that any better myself.

As for the Cubs, they gave up some real talent, both now and in the past. Bobby Hill was a key part of the Pitt trade, and he was right up there with Patterson on their prospect charts when they traded him, and they gave us a 1st round pick in Garland for Matt Karchner for some strange reason. This time they gave up Beltran, a 24 year old reliever with electric stuff that has already pitched in the majors for a solid stretch, and Harris, a 23 year old that was hitting .308 in AAA. I don't know much about Jones, but he is also supposed to be a solid prospect. All that for a terrible defensive SS that hits .267 away from Fenway.

Great observation

Maybe the Yankees have noticed ELo has been tipping his

pitches and they'll fix him, too.

That's the lamest thing I've ever heard a GM say.

Tipping pitches, give me a break.

Just like ELo's been tipping his pitches.

I want a GM who gets us quality and gives up s*** in return.

See the Cubs' trade.

Why do you keep saying the cubs gave up s*** for nomar. They gave up a damn good pitching prospect in justin jones, a major league shortstop, francis beltran who is supposed to be the closer of the future and brendan harris who also was one of their top 10 spects to start the year. So they give up four players for an overrated shortstop, yet they gave up s***? I don't understand. :huh:

Cubs paid a stiff price, but they obviously believe that if they can get healthy and win the wild card they will be tough to beat in October with that starting staff.

I like the Sox trade

Loaiza was great last season, but reverted to his career form this year. He WAS NOT throwing inside. He lost velocity. And he was giving up lots of long balls.

Plus, he acted perturbed when the Sox got Garcia and gave him a new deal. No way he was going to get a long-term deal from KW.

So it's a plus.

What's more alarming is the Twinkies have looked at the way we're playing and decided they can beat us by holding pat.

That, folks, is disrespect of the highest level.

Sorry for commenting on the Cubs here - I know I shouldn't talk about them in here, rather in the SportsBar, but:

I hate to say it folks, but the Cubs are becoming a team that really doesn't need to rely on 'prospects' for quite a while. They are going to become a team that spends so much money, that prospects become less and less a factor. They'll be able to go and buy free agents, rather than having to rely on the farm.

Sorry for commenting on the Cubs here - I know I shouldn't talk about them in here, rather in the SportsBar, but:

I hate to say it folks, but the Cubs are becoming a team that really doesn't need to rely on 'prospects' for quite a while.  They are going to become a team that spends so much money, that prospects become less and less a factor.  They'll be able to go and buy free agents, rather than having to rely on the farm.

That's nice. Still doesn't mean they're gonna win.

I hate to say it folks, but the Cubs are becoming a team that really doesn't need to rely on 'prospects' for quite a while.  They are going to become a team that spends so much money, that prospects become less and less a factor.  They'll be able to go and buy free agents, rather than having to rely on the farm.

Until they become like the Yankees and won't be able to make the trades they want to as they run out of good prospects. The Yankees didn't get Randy Johnson, that makes me feel good, it's good for baseball.

Until they become like the Yankees and won't be able to make the trades they want to as they run out of good prospects. The Yankees didn't get Randy Johnson, that makes me feel good, it's good for baseball.

Exactly. They wanted Garcia and Unit. They couldn't get them though. That makes me feel pretty good.

Exactly.  They wanted Garcia and Unit.  They couldn't get them though.  That makes me feel pretty good.

And when they see Loaiza tossing 87 MPH on the outside part of the plate and getting hit hard, the heat will be on Steibrenner and Cashman.

Yankee announcer: "Following his break-out, Esteban Loaiza joined the Yankee rotation in a deal that sent embattled starter Jose Contreras to the White Sox. From the stretch, Loaiza delivers... **crack** wow, he got all of it. Loaiza tried to nibble the outside of the plate and just got crushed out of the park..."

::meanwhile in the dark recesses of the capital of the Evil Empire::

Cashman: Lord Steinbrenner, I swear he was an All-Star... how was I to know?