Carlos Delgado

kane0730

When his native country becomes a test site for bombing campaigns by the US military, it's a bit natural that he might harbor some tense feelings against the US.

He doesn't stand up in the dugout screaming "I'm gonna sit in the clubhouse!" and make himself an attention whore when he refuses to stand for "God bless America". He just goes into the clubhouse and comes back out. Delgado has come under fierce criticism from fans and pundits for this harmless and symbolic gesture. One fan said, before a game in New York:

"I think it's totally disrespectful," he said shortly before gametime. "It's a slap directly in my face, as a New Yorker and an American."

It is not. Delgado has already identified the reason he is protesting. It has nothing to do with slapping a fan in the face. Offended parties are afflicted with the disease of self-identification with the state, L'Etat C'est Moi in other words. The state is an organization which is separate from the people it rules, and which commits terrible crimes in their name. Awfully convenient then, for the criminals in charge, that many people think they are the state. What a bewildering sight it must surely be, for the blind servants of the state, uncritical and trusting of their politicians, to see someone like Delgado actually walking a different path. Delgado's critics are afraid that he is right, and wrapped in that fear, are lashing out at him, ridiculing his courage. God bless him.

That being said...don't we have enough power hitting 1B on the White Sox?

When his native country becomes a test site for bombing campaigns by the US military, it's a bit natural that he might harbor some tense feelings against the US.

He doesn't stand up in the dugout screaming "I'm gonna sit in the clubhouse!" and make himself an attention whore when he refuses to stand for "God bless America".  He just goes into the clubhouse and comes back out.  Delgado has come under fierce criticism from fans and pundits for this harmless and symbolic gesture. One fan said, before a game in New York:

"I think it's totally disrespectful," he said shortly before gametime. "It's a slap directly in my face, as a New Yorker and an American."

It is not. Delgado has already identified the reason he is protesting. It has nothing to do with slapping a fan in the face. Offended parties are afflicted with the disease of self-identification with the state, L'Etat C'est Moi in other words. The state is an organization which is separate from the people it rules, and which commits terrible crimes in their name. Awfully convenient then, for the criminals in charge, that many people think they are the state. What a bewildering sight it must surely be, for the blind servants of the state, uncritical and trusting of their politicians, to see someone like Delgado actually walking a different path. Delgado's critics are afraid that he is right, and wrapped in that fear, are lashing out at him, ridiculing his courage. God bless him.

That being said...don't we have enough power hitting 1B on the White Sox?

side, i missed your politics and post. good to see you.

now i dare anyone to flame me for this.

i am half apache and i sometimes don't stand for the pledge or do the star bangle stuff. i however will defend the country and have my own family member defending it in the military way.

well???