Harris/Miles

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

As of Saturday of March 15th, 2003 at 8:00 ET. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...ining_stats.jsp

Chicago White Sox Hitting, 2003:

Player Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SB CS SF SH HBP SLG AVG

A Miles CWS 16 39 10 14 1 0 1 7 18 0 1 1 0 0 .462 .359

W Harris CWS 12 39 6 7 3 0 0 2 10 1 0 0 1 0 .256 .179

It seems that Miles is impressive. I hope he has a shot at making the team...it would be good.

Regardless of how well Aaron performs during st, I think he's definately heading back down....but not without opening up the eyes to lotsa folks in the organization...I would not be suprised if we see him called up if injuries occur or Jiminez is hitting Clayton-like....

The organization likes Harris because of his versatility (ability to play 2b and cf) and his speed....he's a shoein to make the team....imo

God dammit.

I wrote this long ass reply and then it got erased.

Oh well, I'll summarize it.

These players are shoe-ins to make the team...

Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Koch, Gordon, Marte, Wright (if healthy), Ordonez, Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Crede, Alomar, Olivo, Jimenez, Valentin, Rowand

That's 7 pitchers and 10 position players. Need to fill 8 more slots

These players are on track to make the team...

Loaiza, Wunsch, Glover (his versatility makes him a near lock), either Ginter or White (whoever steps up), Daubach, and Graffanino (probably a shoe-in, actually, but who knows)

That brings the total to 11 pitchers and 12 position players. Need to fill 2 more slots

The candidates are Harris, Miles, Rios, Paul, and possibly another pitcher

You'd have to say that Rios is in because our only other back-up OF'er is Daubach, and he's no gold glover.

So, that leaves 1 slot to be won by either Harris, Miles, Paul, or an extra pitcher

At this time, it's impossible to know what will happen. JM hasn't said if we're taking 11 or 12 pitchers (if it's 12, Harris, Miles, and Paul are AAA-bound), or if we're going to carry 2 or 3 catchers (if it's 3, Harris, Miles, and all other pitchers are goin' to the minors).

If we're going with 11 and 2, I'd have to give the slot to Miles based on what's happened so far, and Harris can go work on his OBP in AAA.

I'm glad we got that straightened out. :D

Quote: "If we're going with 11 and 2, I'd have to give the slot to Miles based on what's happened so far, and Harris can go work on his OBP in AAA."

Clujer, If you or I were manager, we would both select Miles based on his spring....he is continuing where he left off and his stock is rising....however, I stand by what I said before....JM, for some reason, likes Harris and his ability to spot Rowand in cf as well as play a solid 2B....I would be pleasantly shocked if he was sent down instead of Miles....

...and if your definition of Shoe-in includes Olivo, then you've got to include Graffy, Daubach, Loaiza and Wunsch.....imo

At another board that i frequent this was posted... if its true then it looks like miles is in and harris is out...

Watched the game on tivo this morning...

Miles may have moved up the depth chart yesterday - late in the game Willie Harris pulled up lame after rounding first base and headed back to the dugout. He was in obvious pain. Good to see our crack beat reporters wrote about it...

BTW - Porzio sucks. So does Ryno Jr. (Bobby Hill). He looked completely lost offensively and defensively...couldn't happen to a nicer guy (or agent).

At another board that i frequent this was posted... if its true then it looks like miles is in and harris is out...

Watched the game on tivo this morning...

Miles may have moved up the depth chart yesterday - late in the game Willie Harris pulled up lame after rounding first base and headed back to the dugout. He was in obvious pain. Good to see our crack beat reporters wrote about it...

BTW - Porzio sucks. So does Ryno Jr. (Bobby Hill). He looked completely lost offensively and defensively...couldn't happen to a nicer guy (or agent).

Yeah, I forgot about that....saw him clutch his left hammy rounding first....didn't look that bad, but you never know with those hamstrings...it cold be a true blessing in disguise....

As for Porzio, although I don't think much of him, he looked pretty decent in his one inning....I think he struck out 2 of the 3 batters (actually, scrubs) he faced with some decent heat....had nothing bad to say about his performance yesterday....that said, he will be pitching in AAA this April....

The 40 man roster must be considered.

I don't think there's any doubt that Miles is a better hittter. I say this because of their performances this spring and there is no way that Harris could have duplicated Miles' numbers at AA last year. I don't think centerfield will come into the equation if Rowand is totally healthy, which appears to be the case. I believe we have two or three open spots on our 40 man roster, which does not include either Loaiza or Miles. It looks as if Loaiza has made the team. So we have room without cutting anybody. But then there is Daubach, who is not yet on the 40 man roster, and if he makes the team, which he probably will, then someone might have to be cut and exposed to waivers, which means lost. If Josh Paul is cut, then that space is available for Daubach. Now, Rick White is on the 40 man roster, but he has not yet made the team. If he does not make the team, will he be kept on the 40 man roster? Harris' speed is nice, but if he is sitting on the bench, who cares? He is young and needs to play. I say, promote Miles. Plus it will improve attendance, because all the little people in Chitown will adopt him as one of their own.

Guest hotsoxchick1
.  I say, promote Miles.  Plus it will improve attendance, because all the little people in Chitown will adopt him as one of their own.

amen.. a voice of reason.. i have already adopted him as one of my own...... :D

Regardless of how well Aaron performs during st,  I think he's definately heading back down....but not without opening up the eyes to lotsa folks in the organization...I would not be suprised if we see him called up if injuries occur or Jiminez is hitting Clayton-like....

The organization likes Harris because of his versatility (ability to play 2b and cf) and his speed....he's a shoein to make the team....imo

But, versatilty doesn't mean everything, look at Josh Paul. I don't think Paul is as bad as some here, but if you can't do a couple things well, then with the amount of good players fighting for jobs, your going to have a tough time getting on the 25 man.

The only reason Harris is there is because he's the only guy that can backup in center. If Rios could do it on ocassions, then the Sox would just stick with that and then carry Miles.

The organization likes Harris because of his versatility (ability to play...cf)

I bet there are some people on this board who can atleast play CF equally as good as Harris.

Maybe that's a stretch....but I wouldn't bet against some people on this board having better fundamentals in CF than Harris. Harris is not a good CFer. Miles could play CF just as well as Harris can....I'm sure Josh Paul or D'Angelo Jimenez or Jose Valentin could play CF just as well as him too.

I like Harris's defense at 2B though....he does have good hands and has a little bit of range. I won't forget the game in Minnesota where there was a liner hit that was heading towards RF and Harris just dove and made a helluva play. Man, was that slick.

The organization likes Harris because of his versatility (ability to play...cf)

I bet there are some people on this board who can atleast play CF equally as good as Harris.

Maybe that's a stretch....but I wouldn't bet against some people on this board having better fundamentals in CF than Harris. Harris is not a good CFer. Miles could play CF just as well as Harris can....I'm sure Josh Paul or D'Angelo Jimenez or Jose Valentin could play CF just as well as him too.

I like Harris's defense at 2B though....he does have good hands and has a little bit of range. I won't forget the game in Minnesota where there was a liner hit that was heading towards RF and Harris just dove and made a helluva play. Man, was that slick.

They tried Jose in CF in 2001. It really didn't work out very well. Besides, Jose has stated that he won't move from SS again unless it's just a one game emergency situation.

They tried Jose in CF in 2001.  It really didn't work out very well. Besides, Jose has stated that he won't move from SS again unless it's just a one game emergency situation.

It would have to be a 1-game emergency case for Harris to go to CF too. He just flat out sucks in CF. No arm, and even if he did have an arm, he wouldn't get much on his throws if he throws flat-footed like he did in the Cubs game that we lost 3-2(though that game was fun to listen to on WGN....Caray and Stone are talking up Zambrano and how he's gonna have a great year...he'll probably have a year where he wins 10-12 with a 4.50 ERA....much like Garland last year)

We have Rios, who can play CF....that's all I need to know. Our bench should be Alomar, Daubach, Graffy, Miles, and Rios or something close to that. I have changed my mind on that one....I didn't realize that Rios could play decent defense in CF....now I do. We don't need Harris in the majors anymore. You rarely ever need a SB late in the game...all you need is good speed and good baserunning....both Graffy and Miles do that(or so I assume on Miles anyways). It doesn't matter how fast you are if you are a dumbass on the bases.

.  I say, promote Miles.  Plus it will improve attendance, because all the little people in Chitown will adopt him as one of their own.

So are you one of the Little People of Chitown HSC? LOL

Guest hotsoxchick1
.  I say, promote Miles.  Plus it will improve attendance, because all the little people in Chitown will adopt him as one of their own.

So are you one of the Little People of Chitown HSC? LOL

umm..... well not quite little people, but i am one of those who adopted miles, willingly i may add...... :D :D :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Is there any doubt that Aaron Miles has passed Tim Hummel on the Big Chart?  Tim should really try to get it together this year in AAA, or else he might get buried.  Hate to sound cruel or insensitive, but he shuld have plenty of incentive this year.

your not being cruel... miles has surpassed hummels skill level.... there was never a doubt in my mind that hummel would be passed over.... he just doesnt have the intense play attitude that miles does..... someone in our minor system ignited the spark in miles ass to get him going and now i dont think he knows how to stop... thats a good thing and refreshing to see a kid play with that attitude.....i want him up here on this team......hes shown hes the better canidate.........i just hope he gets the job.......kw are you listening to me??????