8/26 Maggs a "risk"

Texsox

from chisox.com

DETROIT -- With the announcement that Magglio Ordonez is out for the season, the team is forced to evaluate how much of a risk re-signing the four-time All-Star is -- or at least how much to resign him for.

Ordonez, who has missed the better part of three months due to a left knee injury, is a free agent after the season. And general manager Kenny Williams said he isn't sure how much of a risk he's willing to take on a player whose health isn't improving.

"It would be irresponsible for me to speculate any more that it hasn't gotten any better," Williams said.

"Now what you have to weigh is, where is he now? And there hasn't been any improvement in his condition. So that complicates things. And where would we be payroll-wise as it relates to putting together the whole team? If you allocate so much money to one player, and you see that player go down, then you haven't fortified your team enough in other areas, and I don't think you're doing any justice. You're taking the easy way out. So you have to weigh his health, you have to weigh the payroll issues, [and] the composition of the team."

Williams did make it clear that Ordonez is a player worth keeping on the team -- if the price is right.

more at link

A couple messages KW is sending

To other teams: This guy is possibly damaged goods, do not get interested

To Maggs: We're dropping your worth in the marketplace, sign for less before it's too late.

To Sox fans: Please be on the club's side when we dump him

I believe this is as much contract negotiations as an honest appraisal of Maggs injury. The club has an interest in making Maggs appear to have a career ender in his walk year.

av-1521.gif

from chisox.com

DETROIT -- With the announcement that Magglio Ordonez is out for the season, the team is forced to evaluate how much of a risk re-signing the four-time All-Star is -- or at least how much to resign him for.

Ordonez, who has missed the better part of three months due to a left knee injury, is a free agent after the season. And general manager Kenny Williams said he isn't sure how much of a risk he's willing to take on a player whose health isn't improving.

"It would be irresponsible for me to speculate any more that it hasn't gotten any better," Williams said.

"Now what you have to weigh is, where is he now? And there hasn't been any improvement in his condition. So that complicates things. And where would we be payroll-wise as it relates to putting together the whole team? If you allocate so much money to one player, and you see that player go down, then you haven't fortified your team enough in other areas, and I don't think you're doing any justice. You're taking the easy way out. So you have to weigh his health, you have to weigh the payroll issues, [and] the composition of the team."

Williams did make it clear that Ordonez is a player worth keeping on the team -- if the price is right.

more at link

To Maggs: We're dropping your worth in the marketplace, sign for less before it's too late.

I believe this is as much contract negotiations as an honest appraisal of Maggs injury. The club has an interest in making Maggs appear to have a career ender in his walk year.

94% is that Maggs is gonna leave. Who's gonna pay the price when he's injured?

from chisox.com

more at link

Correct and baring a miracle there will be no post season play on the southside why should the club say "Maggs is healing fine and will be ready for next season"? Instead the club will make statements placing his injury in a very dim light to spook other teams.

His next contract will probably have language involving DL, games played, etc. to protect the club which signs him.

There is no surprise here. It has been said over and over that his condition isn't improving. KW is hardly leading some smear campaign against Maggs. In reality, if someone wants to sign him, all they have to do it look at his medical records or run their own tests. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do in public.

from chisox.com

more at link

Correct and baring a miracle there will be no post season play on the southside why should the club say "Maggs is healing fine and will be ready for next season"? Instead the club will make statements placing his injury in a very dim light to spook other teams.

His next contract will probably have language involving DL, games played, etc. to protect the club which signs him.

It's gotta be like that. Nobody will pay him that much, IF they have a 100% belief that he's ready. Sox won't sign him and we know. We have been set on this course and we know it. The Sox are lucky though cause him getting injured has caused his price range down.

from chisox.com

more at link

It's gotta be like that. Nobody will pay him that much, IF they have a 100% belief that he's ready. Sox won't sign him and we know. We have been set on this course and we know it. The Sox are lucky though cause him getting injured has caused his price range down.

It will be interesting to read if Ordonez responds to the article or stays mum. Both strategies have some advantage.

I am assuming every free agent will be gone, no options will be excercised, and we will only have guys who are under contract next season. I will once again spend the off season not getting my hopes up. Convincing myself again we are a 6th place team in a 5 team division.

That's the risk.

Scottie Pippen signed a long-term contract when he was worried about his back, and then he whined about being underpaid when his injury didn't end his career.

He wouldn't have given one thin dime back if his career ended due to injury.

You have to balance financial security vs. "fair market value".

Sometimes you get burned. I do hope Maggs can continue his career, but I'm no longer sure I want the Sox to go after him all that aggressively anymore.

It will be interesting to read if Ordonez responds to the article or stays mum.

Supposedly he already did. Bruce read a quote from him yesterday from a phone call with him in which he said he is having surgery again (the same surgery Sandy has had twice) and it is NOT career ending.

Supposedly he already did. Bruce read a quote from him yesterday from a phone call with him in which he said he is having surgery again (the same surgery Sandy has had twice) and it is NOT career ending.

So in other words what KW was the truth. Maggs is having surgery because it isn't getting better...

So in other words what KW was the truth. Maggs is having surgery because it isn't getting better...

We discussed this on Friday.. don't you pay attention?? :P

Which Friday? My heads spinning :lol:

That's what I was trying to say at the beginning of this!!! :bang Been there, done that. :D

Who would have thought on that play, Maggs would have gotten hurt that badly. I mean his knee was bent and didn't really get twisted in any real way. I figured soreness and a big bruise. Hell I thought Willie was hurt the worst. Looked like Willie could have broken his ankle on that play.