Soxtalk Poker thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called a preflop raise. You raise a good amount, he pitches 8-6 or he deserves to get his ass beaten. Plain and simple. Yesterday I was playing a tourney, and a guy went all in. He had like a 10, another guy called with like a q, and a 3rd caller with 7 2 suited. The guy with 7 2 suited had a solid amount of chips and the raise wasn't that significant because the guy that went all in was really shortstacked. However it was enough to get 7 2 suited out for anyone with a f***ing brain. The 2 callers decided not to have a side pot for the excitement of watching the cards face up as the board is dealt. Flop comes 10 2 x. The all in guy is leading, yelled out yeah when he saw the ten. The guy with a q is pissed. Turn is a blank. River comes a 7. Nobody really looked at the 7 2 because we basically wrote it off, but low and behold he won with that s***. The guy who was all in was f***ing pissed because of that call.

Tonight I played a made a few bucks in a cash game. I have 10 6 suited from small blind and limp in because no one raised. Flop comes j 6 6. I check, checks around. Turn comes another 6. Like in most cases when there is 3 of a kind on the board people will bet kickers or full houses rather largely assuming no one has the 4th card. Unfortunately this did not happen, but I still checked hoping it would on the river and I could reraise. River comes an ace. One guy bets 40 cents and I decide to raise (duh) to a dollar. Everyone else folds, there were 3 or 4 people in the hand going into the river. He reraises me and I'm laughing to myself. I put him all in he calls with the full house, 6s over aces. He said he didn't think there was anyway I had the 6. Ask Jason how sick I am at slowplaying. ;)

His hand would have beaten yours if he studied poker or not  and you dont need to study poker to know that ;)

So I'm suposed to know what he has and he's suposed to know what I had? This kid has won about 500 dollars since the school year began and he has plenty of cash to throw around and bluff a lot.

And Danman, I raised $2.50 before the flop and he called because he was chip leader and it was suited clubs.

So I'm suposed to know what he has and he's suposed to know what I had?  This kid has won about 500 dollars since the school year began and he has plenty of cash to throw around and bluff a lot.

And Danman, I raised $2.50 before the flop and he called because he was chip leader and it was suited clubs.

No but did you expect him to fold when he had a strait :huh:

No but did you expect him to fold when he had a strait  :huh:

Do you expect him to call a raise with 8-6 suited?

It's a pretty s***ty call preflop with that hand, even if he has chips.

At the same time, I believe it was a cash game, and you can call with almost anything in cash games. You can have 7-2 and call with it. Hell, I was in first position on Thursday and raised with 10-8 suited...why not, try and steal the blinds...may as well. It just so happened that I flopped top 2 pair, but that happens. :D

He doesn't make the call if it's a tourney...but he does in cash games. Simple as that.

This kid has won about 500 dollars since the school year began and he has plenty of cash to throw around and bluff a lot.

Your saying he will bluff a lot because he has more money???

Maybe if you read some more poker books like this guy and start learning the players u play with tendencies as well as your own tendencies you will start to become a better poker player.

Your saying he will bluff a lot because he has more money???

Maybe if you read some more poker books like this guy and start learning the players u play with tendencies as well as your own tendencies you will start to become a better poker player.

Like I said, I'm not gonna go out and read a bunch of books. I play poker to have fun with my friends, not to take all their money and win a lot. Winning is nice, but having fun is better. I have a job to make money, I don't need to win a whole lot playing poker. I have enough reading and studying for school, I'm not gonna do it for poker.

Anyways, I'm inviting a bunch of the newbie poker players and plain bad players to play at my house Wednesday instead of playing in the "Tournament of Champions" my friends were having. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing an online tourney at Party Poker. It was the final 6 or so. I get A Q off and lead the betting. I bet a solid 200, folds around until the small blind reraises me. The big blind reraises him and it would leave me with only a few hundred chips left so I just go all in. I get the 2 calls. The small blind was all in. The big blind had around 400 something left so we just let the deal happen. Small blind had pocket 7s, big blind had K Q suited. Flop comes A-A-A. I yell in excitement. With over half the chips in my possession I walk to the tourney win. I thought that was worthy of posting. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try and get this thread active again. And I'm going to do it with the best hand you could imagine. I had already made a boatload of money on flopping trips and a king high flush (people were calling my bets with those hands!). I see pocket 9s, I think I was first to act, I raise. I bet around a dollar or so. Everyone folded except for one guy who went all in with just short of 2 bucks I think. I call. It's 9s vs. A 4 offsuit. Not a spectacular matchup. We show the board and K Q J 10 of hearts are on board. I see no aces or 4s on the board and things are look good, but it was quick. We process it and realize there are 4 hearts on board. Somebody blurted out, "It goes to the highest heart. Ryan [the other caller] has the ace, he wins." Another person realizes what just happened. "He has the ROYAL FLUSH!!" I look down at my cards, then I scream "I had a straight flush and LOST!!!" I had the king high straight flush, he had the royal flush. After losing every other hand that I had good pocket cards I cashed out early while I was ahead. But the best 2 hands in poker head 2 head, sick.

• 3 weeks later...