Who is the best Center Fielder in the AL?

maggsmaggs

Aaron Rowand look at the numbers, he has a .943 OPS, while the next closest AL Center Fielder is .848 and that's Johnny Damon. We should really be thankful that we have Rowand and that he is a gamer who works hard all the time. He's better than Damon, Kotsay, Wells, Hunter, Balldelli and more.

Right now I'd put Rowand up there. He's better than my boy Baldelli now. You still got to remember Rocco is still only 22 and is still a baby. Hunter is the best devensive center fielder in the game. But offensively is another story. I'd put Garrett Anderson up there too if he's still playing center.

He's having the best offensive year for all AL center fielders. That does not mean he is THE best AL center fielder.

I'd probably take Torii Hunter over him if it came to right down to it. Better defense, along with a boatload more talent.

Plus, this isn't exactly the fairest either...it does not include NL CFers, and there are a few NL CFers who are either better then Rowand, are having better years then Rowand, or even both(Edmonds, Beltran, Jones, Finley for sure, and then Cameron, Pierre, and Patterson, depending on what you are looking at in a CFer).

He's good...I won't deny that..and he works his ass off. He's just not the best yet.

I'd probably take Torii Hunter over him if it came to right down to it. Better defense, along with a boatload more talent.

Rowand has a quicker bat than Hunter and is a better baserunner. What boatloads of talent are you referring to? He is probably better defensively, but even there the gap is closing as Aaron is getting regular playing time, improving his jumps, routes, throws.

Rowand is making $340,000 this year.

Here are all the White Sox contracts for 2004 and their contract status over the next 4 years. Values listed are broken up by cap hit and actual payroll for the year. Amounts are based on $1, so multiply values by 100,000.

dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_28_dugoutdollars_archive.html

Rowand is making $340,000 this year.

Here are all the White Sox contracts for 2004 and their contract status over the next 4 years. Values listed are broken up by cap hit and actual payroll for the year. Amounts are based on $1, so multiply values by 100,000.

dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_28_dugoutdollars_archive.html

Would it be that hard for them to just give the actual amount. ;)

He's only batting like .263

yeah he has 31 HR's and 30 Steals but I think he is WAYY over hyped

People love him for his stolen bases, but just like sosa, bonds, a-rod, etc. When all of those players developed very good home run power ( steriods or not ;) ) they got away from do the little things. Once beltran starts hitting 50 something home runs a year his defense will no longer be as good and if he has half th estolen bases i would be shocked.

I am still sick of the fact that beltran will be getting 16-20 million a year. While he is good he is not that good.

Say Beltran gets 18 mil next year and Rowand plays for 400 grand. Is Beltran worth 45 times what Rowand is worth? Baseball is a business, and whoever ends up signing that contract is not spending money wisely.

Say Beltran gets 18 mil next year and Rowand plays for 400 grand.  Is Beltran worth 45 times what Rowand is worth?  Baseball is a business, and whoever ends up signing that contract is not spending money wisely.

I agree, with out a doubt i would take rowand for the money he is making compared to beltran.

The Sox should approach Rowand this off season about a long term deal before he has a full breakout year next year.  Aaron's confident now and KNOWS he can play this game and play it well.

The only problem with that is that if we resign him to a long term deal, and he doesn't hit well like Konerko did last season, he'll become instant trade bait. I still think Ozzie will try to convince KW to make a run for Juan Pierre as well.

The only problem with that is that if we resign him to a long term deal, and he doesn't hit well like Konerko did last season, he'll become instant trade bait. I still think Ozzie will try to convince KW to make a run for Juan Pierre as well.

That would be great, but would they really let him go?