Hats off to Paulie, Aaron

greg775

Sorry to start a new thread on a lame topic, but

congrats to Aaron and Paulie for yet another big

game.

Two guys have had great years.

We mighta had a great postseason if Maggs, Frank,

Paulie and Lee had gotten hot at the same time, coupled

with the pitching of our pretty decent 4 starters.

Ah what might have been.

p.s. Would we still be in contention if Uribe had hit

all season like he did in April and May and tonite?

Just wondering.

I really disagree when people say we should trade PK. He's more valuable than Lee despite having a lower batting average because he shortens his swing when it is necessary. This season Paulie has proved he can rebound for a dismal 2003 and I think he's a great ballplayer.

Not to mention the Fox guys were drooling all over him this one day.

We should have a fair amount of money even after everyone gets their pay raises. Now that i have thought about it, niether really need to be traded away if the money can actually be spent wisely. The t.v. deal should help the pay roll a bit i am thinking.

If we keep Paulie, his contract for next season will be $8,750,000 I think and it'll be the last year of his deal. If he has another monster season, do we resign him, and for how much? He could get a Sweeney like deal if some team if desperate enough for a power hitting first baseman.

It all depends what you get in return. Since Lee is faster, stays out of GIDP and can play OF, he is more valuable than Paulie if their OPS are within shooting distance.

Then again, if they could ever veer into 1000 OPS territory, I wouldn't mind Sox keeping both.

You could add Big Ben Davis to the list after another homer tonight. The man comes in hitting below.100 and now he's making a lot of people forget about Olivo...for the time being. Hopefully hes got something real going for him, rather than just a hot streak. He is ripped though, and I bet he can hit the ball a mile.

You could add Big Ben Davis to the list after another homer tonight. The man comes in hitting below.100 and now he's making a lot of people forget about Olivo...for the time being. Hopefully hes got something real going for him, rather than just a hot streak. He is ripped though, and I bet he can hit the ball a mile.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

It all depends what you get in return.    Since Lee is faster, stays out of GIDP and can play OF, he is more valuable than Paulie if their OPS are within shooting distance.

Then again, if they could ever veer into 1000 OPS territory, I wouldn't mind Sox keeping both.

That's why I think more ppl would probably trade Lee instead of Konerko if we had to trade one of them. You could much easily find a better replacement for Lee that would fit the makeup of this team than one for Konerko, unless we were able to sign Doug Mientkiewicz though.

:

BIG BEN! :headbang

I really disagree when people say we should trade PK. He's more valuable than Lee despite having a lower batting average because he shortens his swing when it is necessary. This season Paulie has proved he can rebound for a dismal 2003 and I think he's a great ballplayer.

I am vindicated. People on this board trashed the living hell out of Konerko this season and last cause he had a half a bad season last year. Now the Konerko bashers are nowhere to be found. Props to all on the board who stuck to their guns and continued to support him. He has come through big time for the team this year and been everything we've come to know and love about OL Paulie.

Lemmie hear ya!!

PAULIE!!!!!!! PAULIE!!!!!!!!!!!! PAULIE!!!!!!!!!!

I dont see why we just cant keep Lee and Konerko????

Why give up the two most productive players on our team this year???

Maggs and Valentin... those are who need to be let go

I dont see why we just cant keep Lee and Konerko????

Why give up the two most productive players on our team this year???

Maggs and Valentin... those are who need to be let go

I have 4 answers for you .... 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

so what? Those years are on the shoulder of Lee and Konerko?

Not just them. It's the whole structure of the team. Too many sluggers and not enough baseball players. The way I see it, we can keep one of those two guys. Who goes depends on who we can for them and who we can get to replace them. But we need need balance in the line up and more "grinders" in the line up. PK has his strengths and weaknesses as does Carlos. I'm not advocating one over the other, but if we keep Thomas, one of them has to go if we can get decent value for them.

But, hey, that's my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions ....

I have 4 answers for you .... 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

I hear this standard answer all the time and it makes no sense to me. The so-called "core" of Buerhle-Thomas-Ordonez-Lee-Konerko-Valentin-Marte-Garland-Crede is not and never was to blame for Twins sticking it up our behinds repeatedly over the last 3 years.

Reasons Sox lost:

Ritchie-for-Wells.

Koch-for-Foulke.

White-for-Osuna.

Politte-for-Gordon.

Timo-for-Everett.

Thomas still injured in '02.

Thomas injured in '04.

Magglio injured in '04.

Loaiza injured in '04.

No 3rd starter in '02.

No 4th starter in '02.

No 5th starter in '02.

No 5th starter in '03.

No 5th starter in '04.

No true lead-off hitter in '03

No true lead-off hitter in '04

Too much (bad) bunting.

Too many CS.

Two clueless managers in '02-'04.

Get Pavano, get Mota and Pierre/Hairston/Polanco.....and the team will crush Minnesota next year.

I hear this standard answer all the time and it makes no sense to me.    The so-called "core" of Buerhle-Thomas-Ordonez-Lee-Konerko-Valentin-Marte-Garland-Crede is not and never was to blame for Twins sticking it up our behinds repeatedly over the last 3 years.

Reasons Sox lost: 

Ritchie-for-Wells.

Koch-for-Foulke. 

White-for-Osuna. 

Politte-for-Gordon.

Timo-for-Everett.

Thomas still injured in '02.

Thomas injured in '04.

Magglio injured in '04. 

Loaiza injured in '04.

No 3rd starter in '02.

No 4th starter in '02.

No 5th starter in '02. 

No 5th starter in '03.

No 5th starter in '04.

No true lead-off hitter in '03

No true lead-off hitter in '04

Too much (bad) bunting.

Too many CS.

Two clueless managers in '02-'04.

Get Pavano, get Mota and Pierre/Hairston/Polanco.....and the team will crush Minnesota next year.

That is a VERY excellent post. Kudos. :cheers

You bring up a good point at the end with the players we should sign. I believe those types of batters would work well with Guillen and fit his style of managing better than a ton of power hitters. What I wouldn't give to see Pierre here, but that could be a longshot. Willie is NOT a suitable stand-in for Pierre or another true leadoff hitter unless we see some drastiuc changes. He has potential, be he must turn that potential into talent.

As far as keeping Paulie or Caballo, its a no brainer. Sure Lee is playing well and has a good bat, but in the clubhouse its paulie being the leader. It's much harder to replace a clubhouse leader than it is a good ballplayer. Thats the only reason i'm sad to see Valentin go this season, his clubhouse presence. But in his case his attitude cant make up for his horrible play on the field... Pauly at least can hit and (sort of) field as opposed to Valentin. I say we keep Pauly around. Out of curiosity, maybe i'm just dumb and havent been paying attention, but is Lee a FA after the season or not? Cuz if he's not we could get a pretty decent return for him...