Saturday Night Bristol Stomp

Queen Prawn

BTW, I should have added to my earlier comments about the allure of NASCAR to say it's also the Executive in the $100,000 RV and the interplay of man and machine. Man getting a machine so finely tuned it is like an extension of himself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my man jr. showing how it's done... :headbang

My boy did damn well too!

I like the tweak he got in against the "young guns." The guy was talking to the first three and they were all panting and Jr went on about how that green flag run took a lot out of him and he bets all the drivers were worn out and when the guy talks to Jeff B he takes a sip of his Coke and says he wants to thank his trainer and that he was ready to go out and run another 500 and walks away. Looking at him (no panting, not even red) it was believeable.

I think it was pointed at Roush and the "sponsor" for next year for the 99 -> it came out ( as Confederate mentioned) that they though Jeff was too old.

me -> :notworthy -> Jeff (for the calm comment and that while he thought his finish was good, it still wasn't where he wanted to be)

Personally I prefer watching street car racing than watching NASCAR's going around ovals for 3 and a half hours. That's why I much prefer Formula 1 which isn't big at all in America, which is a shame really. And if the Indy Car's got their act together and the Indy Racing League and Champ Cars merged to form 1 indy series again, then you might actually have some good competition for NASCAR.

Personally I prefer watching street car racing than watching NASCAR's going around ovals for 3 and a half hours. That's why I much prefer Formula 1 which isn't big at all in America, which is a shame really. And if the Indy Car's got their act together and the Indy Racing League and Champ Cars merged to form 1 indy series again, then you might actually have some good competition for NASCAR.

Funny you should mention street racing the Country Music Network had a show on illegal street racing opposite the Bristol race. I watched a little of that also. Pretty cool watching everyday people racing 100+ MPH illegally on streets, possibly wiping out some family in a mini-van. Really Cool We need to glamorize and encourage that.

Funny you should mention street racing the Country Music Network had a show on illegal street racing opposite the Bristol race. I watched a little of that also. Pretty cool watching everyday people racing 100+ MPH illegally on streets, possibly wiping out some family in a mini-van. Really Cool We need to glamorize and encourage that.

Well it helps if there are no pedestrian vehicles on the track for starters. ;) :lol:

Street racing is generally done in desolate areas, but I agree that it shouldn't be glamourized. The only way they (racers) stop or stick to desolate areas are either after they are caught (Brainage) or they hurt themselves (or not as often, others).

I've been a couple times and the second time I was with Brain and his buddy, in his buddy's beat up Tempo. The cops rousted everyone, but didn't arrest anyone. The numbers of people there absolutely amazed me.

Street racing is generally done in desolate areas, but I agree that it shouldn't be glamourized.  The only way they (racers) stop or stick to desolate areas are either after they are caught (Brainage) or they hurt themselves (or not as often, others). 

I've been a couple times and the second time I was with Brain and his buddy, in his buddy's beat up Tempo.  The cops rousted everyone, but didn't arrest anyone.  The numbers of people there absolutely amazed me.

I dunno if you and Tex misinterpreted my post before but Indy tracks like Cleveland and Toronto are types of street tracks I think which are mainly used for Indy racing, while your classic oval tracks like Daytona and Indianapolis are oval tracks. I think you guys are talking more about drag racing, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the definition is different up there than it is down here. :huh

I think you guys are talking more about drag racing, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the definition is different up there than it is down here.  :huh

That's it exactly - street racing (or that term I should say) is generally applied, in Chicago anyway, to drag racing.

I dunno if you and Tex misinterpreted my post before but Indy tracks like Cleveland and Toronto are types of street tracks I think which are mainly used for Indy racing, while your classic oval tracks like Daytona and Indianapolis are oval tracks. I think you guys are talking more about drag racing, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the definition is different up there than it is down here.  :huh

Sorry, I know the difference, I just leaped from organized racing on closed streets to illegal racing on open streets and didn't connect the dots. Sorry.

At least in California where the show was filmed they were racing on city streets under street lights. They find roads that border two cities and move back and forth as the law asks them to disperse.

I like watching the Formula 1 races but it sucks knowing whose going to win before the race even starts. If Schumacher and Ferrari didnt dominate it like they do i would watch it more. IRL and Cart just bore me because theirs not as much passing from what i see. Theres not alot of passing in F1 either but for some reason i can watch that. The fields arent as competative in Cart or IRL as in Nextel Cup so that doesnt help.