Go Argentina!

alright genius, how long do these international teams play together? years.  how long has this USA team played together? a couple months maybe.  listen, the united states still has the best athletes in.the.world.  you have that team practice and play together for as long as argentina and lithuania and all those teams have, and they'll coast.

Hmmmm How long did Dream team I II III play toghether???

More excuses from the American side, Bronze is the only thing you can get. Next time assemble a better team EOS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many have said before, you don't even have to add Garnett, Shaq, or Kobe to this team for them to win. All you needed was a few more Michael Redd, Vince Carter, Ray Allen's to be able to knock down the outside shot consistently. Teams knew this entire tourney that they could pack the lane and play zone and that would neutralize out athletic advantages. Richard Jefferson was the leading 3 point shooter on the team and he was something like 75th overall in the NBA in shooting 3's. It was a very poor choice of a team, partially the invitation committee's fault, and partially the players that turned us down's fault.

Agreed. Argentina Played a tight 2-3 Zone and no one could hit an outside shot. Duncan couldn't do anything in the low post. If Guys like Reed and someone lese where there the Defense would have played the US different. but no the US wanted to take the Marketing squad to greece. Another thing Bad decisions. The US was down 6 with 2:03 left and someone came down the court and shot an awful three and killed the US hopes, they didn't need a 3 there, play for 2 and play defense the US had the Momentum until that and then that Herrman guy just killed them.

Why does Puerto Rico compete as its own country in the olympics anyway? Don't we own it? Isn't that like Nebraska or Georgia taking its own team to the games?

Cause we are a country not a state. It's a commonwealth.

So isn't Massachusetts.  But you don't see us sending our own team.  George Bush is the president of Puerto Rico too.  It's not really a separate thing.

We are not a state of the Union. George Bush ain't our President, we don't got presidents we got governors, and a Resident commisiner in DC. But we are considered a country NOT A STATE

Agreed. Argentina Played a tight 2-3 Zone and no one could hit an outside shot. Duncan couldn't do anything in the low post. If Guys like Reed and someone lese where there the Defense would have played the US different. but no the US wanted to take the Marketing squad to greece. Another thing Bad decisions. The US was down 6 with 2:03 left and someone came down the court and shot an awful three and killed the US hopes, they didn't need a 3 there, play for 2 and play defense the US had the Momentum until that and then that Herrman guy just killed them.

It should have never gotten to that point. If Argentina continued to take care of the ball and execute mid-way through the 3rd Q. like they had been up to until point, they would have won 95-75. They let the US back into the game.

Hermann? If that had happened to me, I'd be somewhere in a mental institution, not the basketball world's biggest arena.

We are not a state of the Union. George Bush ain't our President, we don't got presidents we got governors, and a Resident commisiner in DC. But we are considered a country NOT A STATE

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml

President: George Bush

Meaning, the US owns Puerto Rico.

Commonwealth, yes. Massachusetts is also a commonwealth. I never said Puerto Rico was a state. But I wouldn't consider it a country either.

"Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth in association with the United States."

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml

President: George Bush

Meaning, the US owns Puerto Rico.

Commonwealth, yes.  Massachusetts is also a commonwealth.  I never said Puerto Rico was a state. But I wouldn't consider it a country either.

"Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth in association with the United States."

You're last line said it all. Mass is a state. 1 of 50 we are not so we are a COUNTRY. Just like Guam is.

You're last line said it all. Mass is a state. 1 of 50 we are not so we are a COUNTRY. Just like Guam is.

But you're not a country. To be a country you'd have to be autonomous, but you're not. I guess its just the fact that you can't vote in U.S. matters that separates you.

But you're not a country.  To be a country you'd have to be autonomous, but you're not. I guess its just the fact that you can't vote in U.S. matters that separates you.

If I moved to the US i could vote in the presidential Elections cause my Citizenship. But we don't vote for the president donw here.

Never happen? How about MJ, Magic, Bird, Hakim, Ewing, Stockton, Robinson, Mullen, Malone, Thomas and Co?  Utterly unbeatable.

Cheat, Zero tone it down with the racism ok.

Don't you tell me to stop that. I loved basketball back in the day, but now it is CLOGGED with these rap gangsters with tatoos, crazy f***ing hair, and horrible attitudes. The NBA is just a big pile of bulls*** now, laced with corn. And God damnit if I can't say that I hate the way the NBA is now, and I hate all the "atheletes" in it, then there is something wrong with the way things are.

As many have said before, you don't even have to add Garnett, Shaq, or Kobe to this team for them to win. All you needed was a few more Michael Redd, Vince Carter, Ray Allen's to be able to knock down the outside shot consistently. Teams knew this entire tourney that they could pack the lane and play zone and that would neutralize out athletic advantages. Richard Jefferson was the leading 3 point shooter on the team and he was something like 75th overall in the NBA in shooting 3's. It was a very poor choice of a team, partially the invitation committee's fault, and partially the players that turned us down's fault.

Michaelr Redd, yes. But Ray Allen and Vince Carter and Rip Hamilton were all asked and all said no or backed out. Even someone like a Brent Barry/Rashard Lewis/Bruce Bowen/Derek Fisher would have been a good pick since they are very good from outside

But Ray Allen and Vince Carter and Rip Hamilton were all asked and all said no or backed out

Yeah thats why I said this part.

and partially the players that turned us down's fault.

The committee needs to put together a team, instead of just putting the most talent and hype they can find.

you are NOT a state and neither is Guam. You are both possessions, or territories, of the United States. Just cuz you arent a state doesnt make you a country

Well then take all of canadas medals away and hand them over to England. Canada is still a possession of england. The Queen also has ceremonial powers over them

you are NOT a state and neither is Guam. You are both possessions, or territories, of the United States. Just cuz you arent a state doesnt make you a country

Were a country, Now why is everyone trying to tell me what we are when i'm the one who knows and lives here ;) :headbang

Were a country, Now why is everyone trying to tell me what we are when i'm the one who knows and lives here  ;)  :headbang

So when it says:

Dependency Status: Commonwealth of the U.S.

Independence: none (commonwealth associated with the US)

Constitution: ratified 3 March 1952; approved by US Congress 3 July 1952; effective 25 July 1952

Legal system: based on Spanish civil code and within the US Federal system of justice

Suffrage: 18 years of age; universal; island residents are US citizens but do not vote in US presidential elections

Executive branch: chief of state: President George W. BUSH of the US

Sure sounds like its a separate country to me too ;)

Well then take all of canadas medals away and hand them over to England. Canada is still a possession of england. The Queen also has ceremonial powers over them

Not true. While Canada chose to keep ties with Britain, it is its own self-governing dominion. They were granted legal INDEPENDENCE on July 1st 1867. The only tie is that Queen Elizabeth technically is their queen as well. It may seem like a small difference, but the difference between the relationship between the U.S. and Puerto Rico and the relationship between Canada and Britain is significant. Puerto Rico has never been granted independence. They govern themselves for the most part, but legally the have never received independence from the U.S. like Canada did from Britain

I agree that they just did a terrible job picking this team. In the past the US had excellent point guards to run the team and guys that could hit outside shots. There isn't anyone even close to Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, John Stockton, or Jason Kidd at the point, and no marksmen like Bird, Reggie Miller, Mitch Richmond, or Chris Mullin either. The best shooter on the team is probably Iverson, which is kind of sad. Once so many guys turned them down, I really think they would have been better of sending a team of college all-stars. There are several point guards and shooters at the college level like Chris Paul or Deron Williams that would kick ass in international play, and you could still get decent big men like Simien, Roberts or May. This looks like a really good year for college talent though and I'm not sure that is the long term answer.