Why doesn't Willie start every game at 2b or CF?

maggsmaggs

Willie has got to be starting at 2b all the time or CF with Rowand playing Right instead of Borchard. Willie's got a .354 OBP, even though his average is .269, if he started everyday that might be closer to .285. At this point there is no reason that Alomar should be starting, Willie is probably a better fielder because of his superior range and arm compared to Alomar. Also, there is no doubt that he is a better hitter and base runner. Here's to Willie staring everyday against righties and lefties. If he plays everyday, he might start swinging like he did in May when he had his .320 average.

I agree. I dont even know why we got Robbie anyways, it was a waste. With the season over, we might as well give Willie some PT, He's proven he can play, its just a matter of whether he develops into a player who can play a more significant role or not. I dont get why he is losing playing time to Alomar. Does anyone know who that PTBNL might be anyways?

I think Willie should start at second but keep Rowand at center, Borchard needs to get reps.

Yeah, that.

Don't not play Borchard, there isn't a reason to. ALso, don't play Robbie, there isn't a reason too. I'm discouraged with Ozzie playing robbie the past few days. My guess is he's complaining about playing time. We should really put Robbie through waivers and try to get rid of him.

I think Willie should start at second but keep Rowand at center, Borchard needs to get reps.

Put Willie Full time at second and see what you truely have in him. He was supposed to be the guy there from the start put because of Juan's hot streek we did get to see him. Don't play alomar. As for Borch, we need to see him out there too. Gotta see what he can do if he plays day in day out. Keep Rowand in center, Borchard in right and Willie at second.

KW made a mistake in getting Roberto Alomar. He is over the hill in my opinion and it showed some last year too. Plus he has been injured this year. Willie Harris has shown some great flashes from time to time and we need to see him at 2B the rest of the way. I just think Uribe should continue playing as the super sub, as we don't have anyone with his versatility. There needs to be some work done with Willie on his base runnings for sure, but you don't learn sitting on the bench while an over the hill star plays and doesn't contribute.

Put Willie Full time at second and see what you truely have in him. He was supposed to be the guy there from the start put because of Juan's hot streek we did get to see him. Don't play alomar. As for Borch, we need to see him out there too. Gotta see what he can do if he plays day in day out. Keep Rowand in center, Borchard in right and Willie at second.

Yes, I agree with that. This season is basically over baring a miracle so why not let the younger players go out and see what they can do.

Willie needs to play everyday if we are ever going to find out if he is Major League material. I think he can be

Sounds a LOT like the Aaron Rowand situation last year. None of us knew what he had until he was given a full shot to play this year; look how he's doing. Harris WAS given a full shot to play, in April/May. He played well; but Uribe's hot streak lasted a bit longer than Harris', so Harris was the one ousted to the bench. Harris ought to be playing every day, here on out...

Rowand will give you 100% everyday on the field. Willie will do the same as well. Let him get his at-bats, get more familiar with the pitching, and give him some more confidence to friggin steal a base..

(Not bad for a dude who has a hangover and feels sicky.. :lol:)

Screw this whole Willie debate. I'd rather just see Uribe, Valentin and Crede finish out the year. At least there will be less nubbers to the pitcher w/o willie in the mix. I remember Hawk saying 2 years ago when he debuted that Willie had so much pop in his bat, somewhat like Soriono's pop. Where did this pop go? And why the hell does Willie walk so much anyway. All you have to do is throw strikes, and you will get him out.

Put Willie Full time at second and see what you truely have in him.  He was supposed to be the guy there from the start put because of Juan's hot streek we did get to see him.  Don't play alomar.  As for Borch, we need to see him out there too.  Gotta see what he can do if he plays day in day out. Keep Rowand in center, Borchard in right and Willie at second.

what about uribe at short stop i cant stand watch that peace of s*** K anymore and miss the ball by a foot.

Guillen's comments about Harris on the White Sox website are 100% correct. They never know which Willie Harris will show up at the park - the one who gives you 2 hits or the one who gives you terrible at bats.

Guillen says he puts Harris in there after he gets a few hits to give him an opportunity - this is good. Guillen doesn't care if Harris gets hits necessarily, just give the team some good at bats, i.e. work the count, understand what the pitcher is trying to do and do some situational hitting.

Harris has had too many stretches where he does not give the team good at bats.

And before anyone says "they jerked him around", we were in a pennant race before and he was inconsistent then. 4-7 and then 1-18. We needed guys to perform, not be maddeningly inconsistent. Don't perform, you sit.

They can play him the rest of this year, fine. Maybe it'll enhance whatever trade value he has, which IMO is not much. Who wants an inconsistent slap hitter who can't bunt and can't steal?

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with Willie Harris as starting 2B on a team going for a championship. I've seen enough. He can't steal bases because he's got no instincts and he's not confident or he can't read pitchers. He can't bunt because ... well, who knows why, but he can't bunt.

I know many here disagree with me, but if they want to win in '05 they need to go in a different direction at 2B. No more crossing our fingers and hoping some guy in gonna finally have his light switch click on. Decent 2B are not that hard to find, much easier than CF.

Yeah, that.

Don't not play Borchard, there isn't a reason to. ALso, don't play Robbie, there isn't a reason too. I'm discouraged with Ozzie playing robbie the past few days. My guess is he's complaining about playing time. We should really put Robbie through waivers and try to get rid of him.

Au Contrare......... There is a perfect reason for Borchard playing everyday and he will continue to do so whether you like his .180 average or not.

Neither Willie or Robby are the answer at 2B for the future. Willie should be getting the PT being the lesser of two evils. But right now we don't have a 2B in our organization that should be starting for us next year. I think that has to come through trade or free agency.

Au Contrare......... There is a perfect reason for Borchard playing everyday and he will continue to do so whether you like his .180 average or not.

Rex, I don't get the cloak and dagger posts. Are you talking about the big bonus money?

I don't think Borchard has what it takes, but I do think it makes more sense to give him a consistent opportunity and tons of at bats simply because he was a high status prospect. He was valued highly by more than just the White Sox. To what degree, none of us know, but he's a guy who had big time potential and missed a large portion of last year due to the foot injury.

Plus, he was never a full time baseball player until he turned pro.

Again, I don't think he's got what it takes but it does make sense for the organization to give him tons of playing time in what's turned out to be a meaningless September.

If there is a plus with Borchard, at least he's having better at bats lately. He's been swinging at fewer bad pitches and working the counts better. Doesn't mean much because the results aren't there, but if I were manager in this situation I'd put him in all the time too. His performance ceiling is much higher than, say, Willie Harris.

I'm more interested in seeing what Alomar has left in the tank vs. seeing any more of Willie Harris. That's just me, but that's how down I am on Harris. I know my board buddy beck72 will shake his head at this :lol:

Harris shouldn't be leading off for this team, he's too inconsistent for that. But I wouldn't mind him hitting #9 and being our starting second baseman at all. He's just got to learn how to put the ball into play more to use his speed effectively, and get on base more.

I remember Hawk saying 2 years ago when he debuted that Willie had so much pop in his bat, somewhat like Soriono's pop.  Where did this pop go?  And why the hell does Willie walk so much anyway.

I have never heard hawk or anyone else ever say that he had as much pop as soriano. Hell, i have never heard someone say that he has 1/10 of soriano's pop. He has about as much home run power as rey ordonez and rey sanchez.