Esteban Loaiza

SuperSteve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are our salary figures for this season.

Magglio Ordonez 14,000,000

Paul Konerko 8,000,000

Carlos Lee 6,500,000

Billy Koch 6,375,000

Frank Thomas 6,000,000

Esteban Loaiza 4,000,000

Mark Buehrle 3,500,000

Jon Garland 2,300,000

Scott Schoeneweis 1,725,000

Timo Perez 850,000

Cliff Politte 800,000

dl-Kelly Wunsch 800,000

Shingo Takatsu 750,000

Sandy Alomar Jr. 700,000

Mike Jackson 500,000

Damaso Marte 500,000

Juan Uribe 350,000

Aaron Rowand 340,000

Dan Wright 340,000

Miguel Olivo 320,000

Willie Harris 318,500

Ross Gload 302,000

Jon Adkins 301,000

Neal Cotts 301,000

All up it's about $65 million I think. Contract's that finish are Maggs, Jose's, Koch's, Loaiza's, Shoe's, Perez's, Jackson's, and Wunsch's. We hav a $1.5 million option on Politte and a $2.5 million option on Shingo. Thomas has an $8 million option to come back for next season. All up the amount of contract's that come off the books including all ones with options is about $41 million. Now let's subtract the options from that figure.

Thomas - ($8 million) $33 million left

Shingo - ($2.5 million) $30.5 million left

I don't think we'll pick up Politte's option for $1.5 million, unless we can't find anything better in the free agent market, so we'll leave him off for now.

Now there are numerous pay raises to kick in for next season. Here they are,

Konerko - ($8 million to $8.75 million) $29.75 million left

Buerhle - ($3.5 million to $8 million) $25.25 million left

Garland - ($2.3 million to $4 million) $23.55 million left

Lee - ($6.5 million to $8 million) $22.05 million left

Marte - ($500,000 to about $2.5 million I think) $19.55 million left

Also there will be new contracts from new players that we must take on,

Contreras - ($6 million) $13.55 million left

Davis - (I'm assuming if we resign him to about $2.5 million) $11.05 million left

Everett - (If we pick up his option of $4 million) $7.05 million left

Ok I'm assuming payroll could go up by about $10 million with the increase in attendance for this season, and the new t.v deal. So we have about $17.05 million to $20 million approx. to spend this offseason. This could be how we spend it,

Odalis Perez ($6.5 million deal for 4 years)

Mota ($3.5 million for 2 years)

Corey Koskie ($3.5 million for 2 years)

Omar Vizquel ($4 to 4.5 million over 2 years)

Wait a sec, Mike can void his own contract?

Yes he can. The deal signed was contingent on the Marlins getting a new stadium deal, which the odds look dismal at best. He can walk away if it doesn't happen. Both sides liked the deal, because it gives the Marlins needed payroll flexibility if they don't get that new revenue source.

Yes he can.  The deal signed was contingent on the Marlins getting a new stadium deal, which the odds look dismal at best.  He can walk away if it doesn't happen.  Both sides liked the deal, because it gives the Marlins needed payroll flexibility if they don't get that new revenue source.

If they lose Lowell and Pavano, they could actually decide to move Miggy back to 3rd and go after Maggs this offseason for some offensive production.

Here are our salary figures for this season.

Magglio Ordonez 14,000,000

Paul Konerko 8,000,000

Carlos Lee 6,500,000

Billy Koch 6,375,000

Frank Thomas 6,000,000

Esteban Loaiza 4,000,000

Mark Buehrle 3,500,000

Jon Garland 2,300,000

Scott Schoeneweis 1,725,000

Timo Perez 850,000

Cliff Politte 800,000

dl-Kelly Wunsch 800,000

Shingo Takatsu 750,000

Sandy Alomar Jr. 700,000

Mike Jackson 500,000

Damaso Marte 500,000

Juan Uribe 350,000

Aaron Rowand 340,000

Dan Wright 340,000

Miguel Olivo 320,000

Willie Harris 318,500

Ross Gload 302,000

Jon Adkins 301,000

Neal Cotts 301,000

All up it's about $65 million I think. Contract's that finish are Maggs, Jose's, Koch's, Loaiza's, Shoe's, Perez's, Jackson's, and Wunsch's. We hav a $1.5 million option on Politte and a $2.5 million option on Shingo. Thomas has an $8 million option to come back for next season. All up the amount of contract's that come off the books including all ones with options is about $41 million. Now let's subtract the options from that figure.

Thomas - ($8 million) $33 million left

Shingo - ($2.5 million) $30.5 million left

I don't think we'll pick up Politte's option for $1.5 million, unless we can't find anything better in the free agent market, so we'll leave him off for now.

Now there are numerous pay raises to kick in for next season. Here they are,

Konerko - ($8 million to $8.75 million) $29.75 million left

Buerhle - ($3.5 million to $8 million) $25.25 million left

Garland - ($2.3 million to $4 million) $23.55 million left

Lee - ($6.5 million to $8 million) $22.05 million left

Marte - ($500,000 to about $2.5 million I think) $19.55 million left

Also there will be new contracts from new players that we must take on,

Contreras - ($6 million) $13.55 million left

Davis - (I'm assuming if we resign him to about $2.5 million) $11.05 million left

Everett - (If we pick up his option of $4 million) $7.05 million left

Ok I'm assuming payroll could go up by about $10 million with the increase in attendance for this season, and the new t.v deal. So we have about $17.05 million to $20 million approx. to spend this offseason. This could be how we spend it,

Odalis Perez ($6.5 million deal for 4 years)

Mota ($3.5 million for 2 years)

Corey Koskie ($3.5 million for 2 years)

Omar Vizquel ($4 to 4.5 million over 2 years)

1. No to 38yo Vizquel. Uribe will out-produce him next year in every way.

2. Buerhle's 2005 salary is 5.5 M, not 8

3. Marte's 2005 salary is 1.25 M, not 2.5.

3. Garland deserves a salary reduction, not raise based on his peformance (2M)

4. Ben Davis was making 1.5 this year and had really bad overall #. No raise for him.

5. Get rid of Everett. He's breaking down and can't field anymore.

6. You forgot Pierre (3.5 M). Sox need a lead-off man. Give 'em good prospects.

7. Say no to Koskie. No Twin on this team. I prefer using some of Magglio's money on Beltre. Call me crazy.

So roughly:

CF Pierre (3.5)

RF Rowand (-)

DH Thomas (8)

3B Beltre (8 first year then escalates)

LF Lee (8)

1B Konerko (8.75)

SS Uribe (-)

C Davis/Burke (1.5)

2B Willie/Hairston (plat.) (-)

Garcia (8)

Odalis (6)

Buerhle (5.5)

Contreras (6)

Garland (2)

Shingo (2.5)

Mota (3.5)

Marte (1.25)

Wunsch/Munoz (-)

Bajenaru (-)

Adkins (-)

Bench (2 total)

Total: 80 M

Current payroll: 69 M

I'd be all for the Sox throwing a lot of money at Pavano and maybe only Pavano during the off-season. That guy is a friggin stud and would give us at least the best pitching staff in our division and maybe the best AL staff east of Oakland.

Garcia

Buehrle

Pavano

Contreras

Garland ????

This is pretty damn good and could carry us a long way. Now, we'd need a semi-overhaul offensively, but I don't think that meens we need to pick up some high priced superstars. I wouldn't mind a guy like Visquel, or a similar player who does the little things (defense, baserunning, good situational hitting) and wouldn't cause us to break the bank. We got the big run producers in Frank, Konerko and Lee. Now we got to surround them with guys who will do other things besides knock the ball out of the park.

I dunno, Pavano just isn't really on my list.  I would rather see the Sox give a little less money to Matt Clement vs Carl Pavano.  I just get the feeling that Pavano would be a bad fit for the Sox.

I see your point. It's just from what I've seen from Pavano this year, especially in that game against us, he's been lights out and has looked almost unhittable.

W-L - 15-5, ERA - 2.99, SO - 109, BB - 45

Although Clement would be a good addition and look great in the 3 or 4 spot, you just never know what you are getting with him. With Maggs probably leaving, we'll have some cash to work with. Why not go with more of a sure thing?

As long as they aim high and sign a legit FA who can push some of the others down in the rotation, I'm happy.

Ideally, a #1 guy is signed but there's no guarantee they can get that done. Some things may be out of their control, beyond just the dollars.

The think I don't want is a #5 caliber guy brought in and the same four guys comprise the bulk of the rotation.

I like Garcia and Buehrle and Contreras, those three are pretty good pitchers.

Garland is a #5 guy and they should bring in legit competition for him at the #5 spot. They can always make a deal in spring - lots of teams do that.

Good thing is, Williams has already stated he wants a stud pitcher to join the Sox and I would bet the rent he's already got someone in mind.

Good thing is, Williams has already stated he wants a stud pitcher to join the Sox and I would bet the rent he's already got someone in mind.

Unless it's Pedro or RJ....I am actually fine with either Pavano or O.Perez.

No they're not aces per se, but they won't cost 17M and 15 M, nor are they 41yo and 33yo respectively, either.

BTW....

The great Scott Rolen is making 7.7 M this year. I-Rod is making 6.5 M. Tejada - a whopping 4.7 M. Why should (until proven otherwise) one-year wonder Beltre make more than 5-6 M next season again? Sure, in the 3rd or 4th season of the typical back-loaded contract, one would expect the rate to go way up, but since we're talking about fitting him into the 2005 budget, he should be surpringly affordable thanks to his pre-2004 mediocrity, Boras or not. And after 2005, one of Konerko/Lee is lost to FA, so Beltre will be just as affordable thereafter.

BTW....

The great Scott Rolen is making 7.7 M this year.  I-Rod is making 6.5 M.  Tejada - a whopping 4.7 M.  Why should (until proven otherwise) one-year wonder Beltre make more than 5-6 M next season again?  Sure, in the 3rd or 4th season of the typical back-loaded contract, one would expect the rate to go way up, but since we're talking about fitting him into the 2005 budget, he should be surpringly affordable thanks to his pre-2004 mediocrity, Boras or not.  And after 2005, one of Konerko/Lee is lost to FA, so Beltre will be just as affordable thereafter.

I'll throw my two cents in again on Beltre........

Beltre reeks of an underachieving talented player who happens to have a career year in his free agent contract year, only to revert back to mediocrity after a big payday.

Beltre reeks of an underachieving talented player who happens to have a career year in his free agent contract year, only to revert back to mediocrity after a big payday.

Ring ding ding ding ding....Hot Dog, we have a Wiener!

I think you are absolutely right, Rex. However, I do have one caveat - when Beltre got into the league he showed a decent amount of patience at the plate. I think that this may not be as much of a fluke as you think. He isn't as bad as he was in '03, either. Add that to the fact that he plays in a terrible hitters' park, and I think it's fair to project him out at .280/.340/.480 over the course of his contract - a .820 OPS third baseman. Not a superstar, but definitely a guy who is an asset to a contending team. His likely value will be something like $5-$6 million per year.

But with Wright at 3B for the Mets, A-Rod at 3B for the Yankees - his biggest $$ opportunity is gone. Look for him to stay in LA as he is overpaid for his free agent season. (Or maybe goes to SF or Seattle as they retool?)

Even if he doesn't regress to his old self, He'll never match the season he had this year again. And that means you'd be overpaying for his services for the life of his contract.

Honestly, I don't think Beltre's batspeed, all-field power and, more importanly, a much-improved focus/eye are going anywhere. Ditto his GG defense. If anything, at just 25yo he's likely to keep up the pace. Is he 1100 OPS good? Probably not. But in our bandbox of a ballpark, 950-1000 OPS is something I would definately bet on. I guess I've seen too much of him this year to believe this year is but a fluke.

If Beltre was a "proven" commodity, you wouldn't be able to get him for anything less than 14-15 Mill a year based on the sick numbers he is putting up this year and his agent. There is a risk that he might revert back to old form and that's the reason why Sox might be able to afford him. I wouldn't mind a back-loaded contract similar to I-Rod's. But that's just me.