8/28 Games

DBAHO

Charlotte lost to Richmond 7-5. Munoz got hammered, 5 innings, 7 ER. Adam Larson pitched 3 scoreless innings of relief. Torres, Nelson and Bell had multi - hit games. Box Score

Winston Salem beat Salem 7-1. Great start for Sean Tracey going 7 innings, with 2 BB, 6 K's and 1 ER. Rogowski, Fields and Becker all homered for the Warthogs. Box Score

Birmingham beat Mobile 12-5. Heath Phillips picked up the win going 5 innings with 5 ER's and 4K's in an unconvincing performance. Martel and Sasser both homered for the Barons. Box Score

Kanny lost to Hickory 9-4. Byeong Hak An picked up the loss giving up 6R or 3ER's in 4.1 innings. He had 6BB's and 0K's. Nanita, Valido, Gray, Schnurstein and Bounds all had multi - hit games. Box Score

Well Rex, you should see Sean Tracey at the start of next year down in Bham. He's definately getting stronger as the season goes on. I think a lot of it has to do with him getting more and more used to pitching, since he didn't start until he was in junior college and then after one year there, moved on to UCI where he probably was told some new things about pitching (by Savage), and then into the Sox organization.

Good idea, I'll write something up on him. I've been thinking about doing it for some time now. He's got fastball, slider mainly if I recall. I also think he throws a changeup ,but I got it written down, so I'll just check my notes out and then write something up :)

I don't think Winston-Salem will make the playoffs.

Kinston won the first half title and is in 1st this half so Winston-Salem will get in on the wildcard. They are the 2nd place team in the 2nd half. At least this is what was said on one of their broadcasts.

This is from the Winston-Salem Journal backing up my statement:

Even if the Warthogs fall short of Kinston in the second half race of the Carolina League's Southern Division, they have pulled tantalizingly close to clinching a wild-card berth for the playoffs. The Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the only team with a chance of catching the Warthogs, lost 8-6 to the Frederick Keys last night to fall 91/2 games behind Winston-Salem with 10 games to play.
Edited by danman31

Kinston won the first half title and is in 1st this half so Winston-Salem will get in on the wildcard. They are the 2nd place team in the 2nd half. At least this is what was said on one of their broadcasts.

This is from the Winston-Salem Journal backing up my statement:

Interesting......... most leagues give the team with the next best overall record the wild card....... which in this case would be Myrtle Beach.

Seems weird to award the 2nd place finisher in the second half, and penalize the team that did the same in the first half.... especially if that team has the better overall record.

Interesting......... most leagues give the team with the next best overall record the wild card.......  which in this case would be Myrtle Beach.

Seems weird to award the 2nd place finisher in the second half, and penalize the team that did the same in the first half.... especially if that team has the better overall record.

Agreed Rex, I have always heard of it being team with best overall record who are not in playoffs.