Soxtalk Soundoff: Jon Garland

Chisoxfn

Buy or Sell: Jon Garland  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Buy or Sell: Jon Garland

• Buy
    • Sell

The point is ... who are you comparing him to?

The major leagues are full of Garlands.

He is our Garland.

Who do you want to bring in?

We're not going to pay for star free agent pitchers.

We are not going to trade for star pitchers

who command big bucks.

Reinsdork is cheap.

Some act like Garland is a complete stiff.

The guy is a mediocre pitcher who occasionally

is awesome.

Who do you want instead of Garland???

Keep him as a No. 3, 4 or 5 starter.

I always had hope for Garland. I lost it while watching the Montreal game earlier this year when he had the no-hitter going. He started the inning with a perfect game, i think it was the 5th or 6th inning, and walked the first batter. He then walked the next 2 batters. He wouldn't f***ing throw the ball over the plate. He refused to give up that hit that would break up the no-no. That was the most SELFISH pitching performance I think I've ever witnessed. I was thoroughly disgusted. And then as the season progresses we get s*** talking about the umps, about the fans, etc. The guy is a headcase. He needs to go while we can get something decent for him.

The point is ... who are you comparing him to?

The major leagues are full of Garlands.

He is our Garland.

Who do you want to bring in?

We're not going to pay for star free agent pitchers.

We are not going to trade for star pitchers

who command big bucks.

Reinsdork is cheap.

Some act like Garland is a complete stiff.

The guy is a mediocre pitcher who occasionally

is awesome.

Who do you want instead of Garland???

Keep him as a No. 3, 4 or 5 starter.

For me Garland is a #5 pitcher (I've made that clear a few times, eh?), but he does have a potential to be something more, which is nice to have at 2M a year.

But I do see the point others are making. I could care less what "other teams" have, you understand? Other teams, those that are competing for WS and whatnot, often have Murderer's Row line-ups and studly 1-4 rotations, so they don't need their #5 to have a sub-4.25 ERA. Sox, on the other hand, are a mid-payroll team with holes that probably aren't closeable. That means, maximum production must be squeezed out of your Garlands, Uribes, Credes, etc, and so called bargains have to be just that - bargains.

I do not care for "well, he is only making 2M, you get what you pay for" crappola.

As long as he's the #5 starter, I'm ok with him.  Anything else, and I want him gone.  If he works on not giving up the big inning, he will be a great pitcher.  Hopefully he will work with Coop during the offseason.

Hey Heather, good to see you around. How is the real world treating you?

Hey Heather, good to see you around.  How is the real world treating you?

Things will get quite busy here. The Chicago Public Schools start next Tuesday, but this Thursday and Friday are teacher's institute days at Bogan. I'll be moving out probably this December at the very beginning of winter break (walking distance north of Comiskey). I'm getting stoked!

Be sure you rep down there at ISU well without me, now. ;)

Kip Wells. Interesting that he's been brought up as someone who's done well and Garland has somehow failed to achieve.

Wells 2004 stats = 5W 7L 4.50era 1.52whip

.. career stats = 47 - 51 4.19 1.45

Garland 2004 = 9 - 10 4.91 1.36

.. career = 43 - 50 4.67 1.44

There is some variations in the numbers but they are incredibly similar. I think a big key as to what to expect for the future would be this year's WHIP stats. Since Wells is 27 and Garland is 24, I'd much rather have Garland.

Garland's age HAS to be taken into consideration. Just look at the numbers of some of the very solid veteran pitchers at age 24 and then look at Garland's. He's just way too young to send packing just because his not a quality #2 starter .... yet.

Kip Wells.  Interesting that he's been brought up as someone who's done well and Garland has somehow failed to achieve.

Wells 2004 stats = 5W 7L 4.50era 1.52whip

..    career stats = 47 - 51 4.19 1.45

Garland 2004 = 9 - 10  4.91 1.36

..        career = 43 - 50 4.67 1.44

There is some variations in the numbers but they are incredibly similar.  I think a big key as to what to expect for the future would be this year's WHIP stats.  Since Wells is 27 and Garland is 24, I'd much rather have Garland.

Garland's age HAS to be taken into consideration. Just look at the numbers of some of the very solid veteran pitchers at age 24 and then look at Garland's.  He's just way too young to send packing just because his not a quality #2 starter .... yet.

Thats right, and to get rid of him would be a stupid move IMO... One that will come back to bite us in the ass

Thanks Jas for keeping it positive by starting off with the poster boys of consistent productivity.

Right now he's the #4, and hopefully will drop to the #5 by spring. I like him at that spot and expect him to have a great season next year.

For how many years have we said "this is garland's year..."

he's not going to be any better than he is right now...i don't look forward to his starts.

SELL

That’s exactly how I feel. And if he ever improves it’ll be when he’s pitching for a different team. I don’t know why, but something tells me he’ll be good once he leaves the White Sox.

He is definitely no worse than Girlie....err...Buerhle and he makes so much less than him so why not keep him until you can....once he reaches a point where he wants lots of money, let him go

It is not like we have the next Pedro to replace Garland anywhere in our system

If we cannot get a 5th starter, why worry about a 4th starter