Realization Is Sinking In

696 homers and counting.

He really is going to pass Hank Aaron.

I guess I knew that for a while, but the closer he gets to 700, the more it sinks in that like him or not, we're watching history in the making.

I, for one, am going to really try to separate my feelings about him and try to appreciate what he is about to accomplish.

He's hitting homers at a ridiculous rate right now for a man of his age. Add to that his other-wordly batting average and on-base percentage and I can't remember seeing anyone so locked in at the plate, EVER.

It is impressive, no matter what you think of him.

Bonds might be the best EVER. I never saw Ruth, Dimaggio, Williams, Mays, Mantle or any of the all-time greats from the past. But what this guy does every single night is beyond legendary. Has any hitter in the history of baseball ever been feared the way Bonds is? This guy gets about 2 or 3 good pitches to hit a game. Yet he still hits for a ridiciolous high average with 40+ hr's every year. Could you imagine if he was in a line-up like the Cards or Yankees?

All I know is that im very happy I went to the Cell last year and saw him hit a HR. Its nice to say that I saw the HR King hit a HR in person.

Yeah no just imagine what you would feel like if you were there when he CRUSHED #70 a few years ago into the upper deck in Center Field at Minute Maid Park after they walked him all game and the one chance he got, bye bye!

It was the greatest thing I ever witnessed

183 walks, and we're still in August.  Roids or no roids, that is one hell of a batting eye.

Agreed. I've seen hi get many calls that did look like strikes on a hitter. The only pitcher who actually stuck him out twice this year was another HOF... (Roger Clemens) Youngsters don't get the close strike calls like that. His eye has gotten better since he's gotten older, his power has increased since hes been older etc.. etc.. He is just a beast.. ;)

Whoever it was that said Bonds only gets 2-3 good pitches a game is right and wrong IMO. A good pitch to him can, in some cases, be a pitcher's pitch. You throw him a fastball on the inside part of the plate that could be running in a little and he could hit it out of the park.

If they get him a legitamate threat or two in the lineup, and he could have an insane year. If they get 1, just 1, big power threat to protect him, he will have a monster year, and if they can get him another power threat like that(say like maybe Glaus even, assuming he can stay healthy), either he, they, or both would have insane years at the plate.

Bonds will break the record, and quite frankly, it does not matter whether or not he is on steroids. What he's doing is nearly superhuman. Steroids should not tarnish his image.

Agreed. I've seen hi get many calls that did look like strikes on a hitter. The only pitcher who actually stuck him out twice this year was another HOF... (Roger Clemens) Youngsters don't get the close strike calls like that. His eye has gotten better since he's gotten older, his power has increased since hes been older etc.. etc.. He is just a beast.. ;)

183 walks is insane...I do agree with that. But it is not all because of a good batting eye. Most of his walks are due to him being pitched around. You could look at Sosa's walk totals of a few years ago, but that was not because he has or had a great eye at the plate, it is because he was pitched around.

Steroids or not, what he is doing, his ability, his swing, his eye, is unheard of. Steroids do not enable you to get around on balls he gets around on. Steroids do not enable you to hit the one pitch you see a night. The fact is, Barry Bonds is a freak. And that's why he's my favorite ball player. That's right favorite.

He is also Billy Beane's wet dream.

He's going to need two more seasons to break the record. Still a long ways to go.

Maybe, maybe not.

If he's around 700-705 at season's end, he'll need 50-55 to break it next year.

It could definitely happen, but MAN OH MAN, you think he's being pitched around NOW? He could walk 250 times next year if he closes in on Aaron.

You think any Dodger pitcher will throw him ONE hittable pitch with the record in view? HELL NO.

Well, I for one hope he does not break it. While I see there is a great chance he will, i still hope he doesnt. The fact is, he is on steroids. We dont need proof, because he IS the proof. And that is just how i feel about it

Agreed. For him to break the HR record would be a travesty and he'll be laughing at the fans all the way to the hall of fame.

Two good points I heard yesterday:

1. Whether or not he was on steroids before, he's not on them now because of testing and all the attention being payed to him. I don't see how he could get away with it now.

2. Why is he taking days off when the Giants are in the thick of a divison/wild card race? They need every game, he needs to suck it up and play. He sat out yesterday and they lost by a run (because of the bullpen, but still).

Whoever it was that said Bonds only gets 2-3 good pitches a game is right and wrong IMO.  A good pitch to him can, in some cases, be a pitcher's pitch.  You throw him a fastball on the inside part of the plate that could be running in a little and he could hit it out of the park. 

If they get him a legitamate threat or two in the lineup, and he could have an insane year. If they get 1, just 1, big power threat to protect him, he will have a monster year, and if they can get him another power threat like that(say like maybe Glaus even, assuming he can stay healthy), either he, they, or both would have insane years at the plate.

Bonds will break the record, and quite frankly, it does not matter whether or not he is on steroids.  What he's doing is nearly superhuman.  Steroids should not tarnish his image.

The hell it shouldn't tarnish the record. Power spike at 37? Right.

Two good points I heard yesterday:

1.  Whether or not he was on steroids before, he's not on them now because of testing and all the attention being payed to him.  I don't see how he could get away with it now.

2.  Why is he taking days off when the Giants are in the thick of a divison/wild card race?  They need every game, he needs to suck it up and play.  He sat out yesterday and they lost by a run (because of the bullpen, but still).

Does Barry have back spasms or something to do with a bad back? As hard as he swings, if he is hurting, and then goes out pulls something, being out one game is better than a month. And it has always been his routine to sit out a day game immediately after a night game. I don't necesarily agree with it, but it isn't unusual.

Can someone look up and tell me how many ABs it took for Ruth to hit his record and then look up how many it took Aaron and is taking Bariod Bonds?? Plus another thing to remember is Ruth was a pitcher for the first 5 years of his career, only hitting every 3rd or 4th day whichever it was. I am just curious about how long it took each of them to hit all these homers. If I am not mistaken Aaron had 1000 or 1500 more ABs to break Ruths record.