2004 Sox MVP

Gene Honda Civic

Who is the White Sox MVP this season?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the White Sox MVP this season?

• Frank Thomas
    • Magglio Ordonez
    • Juan Uribe
    • Aaron Rowand
    • Carlos Lee
    • Paul Konerko
    • Mark Buehrle
    • Shingo Takatsu

Aaron Rowand, without a doubt.

The PERFECT approach to hitting (probably not breaking balls, though.). A guy like Aaron Rowand is why a guy like Carlos Lee pisses the f*** out of me.

Fine, Carlos will hit his 30+ HRs, probably drive in 100+ RBIs. But when he had that 27 game hit streak, he was using all of the fields - and did any single person on here give one flying f*** that he only had like three homers (sorry for the language)? No. Yet - Carlos went to Greg Walker, and told him he didn't like not hitting homers. Carlos could hit .340, IMHO - yet he doesn't want to just hit 15-25 homers. Grr...

Back to Aaron - Aaron uses all of the field, he had a short, quick swing, and he lets his homers come to him. He'll bunt for hits (that's the one thing I'd like him to work on), he's a five-tool player (Gun, Hose, Power, Average, Speed. The car reference in Moneyball :lol: .).

I know some people might not like this comparison, but can I call him Carlos Beltran Jr? Would that be going out of line? Obviously not the speed of Carlos, but Aaron hits for higher average, same amount of homers, same defense, IMHO.

Rowand has scored 14 more runs, however Konerko has driven in 40 more. If Rowand was getting playing time all season he is the MVP, however he hasn't done enough the whole season to warrant that. If Carlos Lee wasn't such a dope he could easily be the MVP, scoring 78 and driving in 83. Let's not forget the most valuable split: RISP. Lee is hitting .323 with a .932 OPS, Konerko .319 with a .989 OPS, Rowand .250 with a .757 OPS. The numbers don't lie. Our team MVP is NOT Aaron Rowand.

Rowand, no question. Why is Frank and Maggs on the list? :huh:

Good question. Another question is why did someone vote for Thomas? People are complaining that Rowand hasn't played enough, so how could Thomas have played enough to be considered?

Inspite of that, to each their own I say! ;)

Edited by Queen Prawn

When we were winning, Uribe was simply amazing. Of course he had Frank and Maggs to lean back on, but if we didn't have Juan, we might have been out of the race a lot earlier. Of course Rowand has has a great year as well, and he hasn't had Thomas and Ordonez in the lineup to help him win games, but the MVP should be about winning, and when we actually were winning, Uribe was the key catalyst. Very tough decision, but I suppose by process of emilination, it goes to Uribe. Of course his second half has been pretty bad, but I'm not sure exactly how much his play would have helped the team with so many injuries. :huh

For me, it's either Rowand or Konerko. I voted Rowand but I'd say it's pretty much a tie.

A lot of people were questioning whether Paulie would ever recover from last year. He answered his doubters by leading the team in HRs and RBI while raising his AVG significantly from last year.

However, Rowand got off to a slow start and people were calling for him to be gone, or at least out of the starting lineup. Since then he has more than made up for it and is batting .318 for the year. He also has put up decent power numbers and leads the team in slugging percentage. On top of that he has been solid defensively and leads the team in stolen bases.

So, I think we have two awards to give out. Paulie is our comeback player of the year and Aaron is our breakthrough player of the year.

When we were winning, Uribe was simply amazing.

To say Uribe is MVP is a joke. By your reasoning he was the reason we started losing, thus making him important overall, but not valuable this season. He had 1 awesome month, one good month, the rest horrible until August.

To say Uribe is MVP is a joke. By your reasoning he was the reason we started losing, thus making him important overall, but not valuable this season. He had 1 awesome month, one good month, the rest horrible until August.

Ah s*** dan, I had a couple of parapraphs typed up about Uribe/Rowand, but I tapped the wrong button and it got deleted. Like sucks sometimes :banghead

Anyways, I will sum it up a little. Rowand had had every chance to help the team win in the earlier months, but he batted in the low .200s, while uribe was over .300 and got a ton of runs.

The majority of Uribe's downfall came when Maggs and Frank were gone, the bulk of Rowand success came after injuries and too late.

Sop after Thomas and Ordonez were gone, a surge by Rowand and a decline by Uribe are not going to affect the outcome of the season much so I hadw to look back to when we got most of our wins and who was the go to guy during that time.

Anyways I had some good stats and such but I am stupid for accidentally deleting what I had written. :chair :banghead

Anyways, I will sum it up a little. Rowand had had every chance to help the team win in the earlier months, but he batted in the low .200s, while uribe was over .300 and got a ton of runs.

I don't think Rowand was the team MVP either. Uribe has batted .268 there is no way he can be considered team MVP when guys like Konerko and Lee having been doing well all season long.

I don't think Rowand was the team MVP either. Uribe has batted .268 there is no way he can be considered team MVP when guys like Konerko and Lee having been doing well all season long.

Thats true. I suppose I was just looking at it more as somebody who stepped up unexpectedly when it counted. Of course Lee/Konerk are gonna be solid, I just overlooked them because you expect that from them. If I was gonna look at the stats, I'm sure they would be better than Uribes, but Uribe did add an extra something that wasn't there in the early months.