2004 College Football Trash Talk Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i'm saying is, if Illinois hadn't f'd up at the start of the game and could play any sort of 3rd down defense, we probly woulda won. That's turner's trademark, making mistakes that lose games (or at least don't win them, however you want to look at it). Oh yeah, the TD drive that took forever in the 4th quarter, non hurry-up style. That was ridiculous.

The thing that riled me was 'giving credit where credit is deserved' because i don't think i should be praising Purdue for a great game. Orton didn't make mistakes, which was key, but it was a pretty evenly contested game all the way through, with more stupid mistakes on our part than theirs. The punt play sure would have turned around the game.

I said it before as well...a L is a L, yeah it's great we played well but at some point you have to win a freaking Big Ten game, or beat a decent opponent in 1-A. This s*** is getting ridiculous with Turner. It's frustrating to say the least.

Anyway, moving on...yeah i'm an ND football fan too, and i hope they beat up on Purdue. That should be a great game and could obviously go either way. ND might be slighly favored due to home field, i guess.

All i'm saying is, if Illinois hadn't f'd up at the start of the game and could play any sort of 3rd down defense, we probly woulda won. That's turner's trademark, making mistakes that lose games (or at least don't win them, however you want to look at it). Oh yeah, the TD drive that took forever in the 4th quarter, non hurry-up style. That was ridiculous.

The thing that riled me was 'giving credit where credit is deserved' because i don't think i should be praising Purdue for a great game. Orton didn't make mistakes, which was key, but it was a pretty evenly contested game all the way through, with more stupid mistakes on our part than theirs. The punt play sure would have turned around the game.

I said it before as well...a L is a L, yeah it's great we played well but at some point you have to win a freaking Big Ten game, or beat a decent opponent in 1-A. This s*** is getting ridiculous with Turner. It's frustrating to say the least.

Anyway, moving on...yeah i'm an ND football fan too, and i hope they beat up on Purdue. That should be a great game and could obviously go either way. ND might be slighly favored due to home field, i guess.

The question is when does something not become luck? By that I mean, you continually say that IF the Illini did this/IF they wouldn't have done that, THAN they could have/should have won. You continue to say things like this, but what if that is because the Illini aren't that good or that the other team is just better? There were some plays for BOTH teams in which they shot themselves in the foot, however, it is always the losing teams fans that blame the lose on those mistakes. Furthermore, has it ever occured that the other team is responsible for how the Illini play? You say things like, IF the Illini could have made one or two more offensive plays or could have stopped Purdue on a few of those 3rd downs, but why not give Purdue credit instead of making excuses? Purdue didn't play well/Illini played really well, but Purdue was still the better team despite this. The difference is that Purdue has arguable the best QB in the college game, and you can't expect him to make a ton of mistakes. We will see how good Purdue is this weekend when they play the up and coming Irish.

Well i just don't agree with the 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 4, and the suicide blitz where no one picks up the RB was ridiculous.

And, i don't want to beat a dead horse, but that punt play was an absolute joke and may have easily changed the game. It's real ridiculous because there is replay. If there weren't any, i'd suck, but i'd say oh well.

A little more on the Purdue Blocked-Punt, not fumble from the USA Today, today:

A punt is just a punt

In the booth in Champaign and the conference room in Park Ridge, the examination of repeated images made possible by a new verb — "TiVoed," Parry says — deals with a sudden, complex issue: When does a punt become a punt?

With 15th-ranked Purdue ahead 31-23 in the third quarter, the Boilermakers line up for a punt from their 27-yard line on fourth-and-3. Illinois' Kelvin Hayden hurtles toward freshman punter Dave Brytus, whose kick apparently is blocked. The ball is recovered at the 25 by Purdue lineman Brent Grover, who advances it to the 30, enough for a first down.

The ruling on the field is that a blocked punt, recovered before crossing the neutral zone, can be advanced by any player. Purdue has been awarded a bizarre first down. Illinois coach Ron Turner stalls for time to give the crew upstairs more of an opportunity to commit to a stop in play. He considers using a timeout to provide extra moments to encourage a shutdown that never comes.

Turner asks officials on the field to seek help from upstairs, but the system prohibits that. Five officials carry pagers that would signal a shutdown, a structure refined after a trial during the spring game at Penn State when communication via walkie-talkie was interrupted by a woman trying to order pizza.

After the first weekend of play, when an extended delay in the Wisconsin-Central Florida game resulted in the correction of 1 yard, there was criticism from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and a reminder from the conference office that technical advisers should avoid unnecessary interruptions.

That emphasis has made the immediate scrutiny of the technical adviser the invisible, and potentially decisive, element. Marchman, with access to a 23-inch flat panel screen for replays and a 13-inch screen with a live feed, decides against a shutdown.

In the conference room, as the play is shown again and again, it becomes clear Hayden's left hand touched the ball before it reached the punter's foot.

"That's a doozy," Parry says. "That's the first time in 15 years I've seen that play."

The ball still went off Brytus' foot, which supports the ruling it was a punt and allowed Purdue to pick up the first down.

If it had been ruled a fumble, Brytus would have been the only player allowed to advance the ball, so Illinois would have taken over at the Purdue 25.

"The naked eye would never catch that," Parry says, referring to Hayden's hand touching the ball.

Illinois does not gain possession until another Purdue punt goes out of bounds at the Illinois 2. Purdue stays unbeaten with a 38-30 win.

Virginia Tech proves that West Virginia is way overrated and has no place near the top 10. 19-13. Just because they are the best team in a BCS conference doesn't make them a top 10 team, and besides the Big East shouldn't be a BCS conference.

Does Orton remind anyone else of Peyton Manning? I think it is remarkable how similar they are. I don't like Purdue, but I have to admit that Orton is best QB in college football. His mix of arm strength and accuracy make him nearly impossible to defend. The touch he has is remarkable. He actually runs pretty well for a pocket passer. Finally, the way that he audibles and runs the team reminds me of Peyton Manning. He will definately be the 1st QB taken in the 2005 draft and might have the Heisman trophey on his shelf.

This game is frustrating to watch. ND is moving the ball, but shotting themselves in the foot.

Does Orton remind anyone else of Peyton Manning? I think it is remarkable how similar they are. I don't like Purdue, but I have to admit that Orton is best QB in college football. His mix of arm strength and accuracy make him nearly impossible to defend. The touch he has is remarkable. He actually runs pretty well for a pocket passer. Finally, the way that he audibles and runs the team reminds me of Peyton Manning. He will definately be the 1st QB taken in the 2005 draft and might have the Heisman trophey on his shelf.

This game is frustrating to watch. ND is moving the ball, but shotting themselves in the foot.

you didn't read the SI article saying the same thing did you??? ;)

the amount of audibles he calls is amazing

Purdue needs a big stop to start the half

Cant wait til next week. Irish gonna knock off the Boilers.

CHECK THE SCOREBOARD SON!

GO BOILERS!

The game against Illinois was so close because we understandably didn't feel the need to get pumped up for it. Face it, U of I will be the whipping boy in Big 10 football for years to come!

The game against Illinois was so close because we understandably didn't feel the need to get pumped up for it.  Face it, U of I will be the whipping boy in Big 10 football for years to come!

Because they weren't that pumped up???

Are you kidding? If you can't get pumped up for every conference game you need help.

Every game could mean the end, and you have to be pumped for everyone.

That's not an excuse, you played like s***, get over it!

Bulls*** penalty in the Purdue - ND game. A fist pump during a 97-Yard TD run garners a 15 celebration penalty?? Getting the kids ready for the NFL- No Fun League.

That was awesome though. He was celebrating on his own 40 because he knew he was getting in the endzone, lmao. f*** Notre Dame! :headbang

Also, LSU continues to show they are nothing without a QB. 24-0 Georgia.

A good day so far. ND, LSU, and West Virginia either already lost or are in the middle of getting whooped. Plus the Cubs are eliminated! :headbang

Because they weren't that pumped up???

Are you kidding?  If you can't get pumped up for every conference game you need help.

Every game could mean the end, and you have to be pumped for everyone.

That's not an excuse, you played like s***, get over it!

Our defense didn't show up. But thank god Orton played like his heisman-self. We played like s***, but we still won!

Are you kidding me? Of course that's a 15.

Did you see it? It wasn't much, he didn't turn and taunt.

IMHO, the rules need to be changed. That was just a kid in the play of his life.

And BTW, I'm a Notre Dame fan.

Eh, game isnt over yet b****es. Purdue can blow it. I still think Orton isnt that great. He's being compared to Manning? Thats s***.

I hope you're right, but it looks like Purdue is playing to their #15 rankings.

Yea Purdue may win and Orton may get a whole bunch of media for it, but he really isnt all he's hyped up to be. Drew Brees was a replica of him and look at him, he sucks in the NFL. Orton sure as hell wont be a Peyton Manning, so drop that subject.

Yea Purdue may win and Orton may get a whole bunch of media for it, but he really isnt all he's hyped up to be. Drew Brees was a replica of him and look at him, he sucks in the NFL. Orton sure as hell wont be a Peyton Manning, so drop that subject.

There is no match for Peyton, everyone knows that... Orton will have to prove himself against the big dogs of the Big-10

He Gawn, look at his numbers so far today and tell me why he isn't "what he's hyped up to be".

Also, EVERYONE at Purdue, including Tiller thinks Orton >>>> Brees, taller w/stronger arm, and smarter on the field.

Damn Comcast Sportsnet...Lost their damn signal with less than 2 minutes left in the first half...nice way to start off the channel with your first live broadcast :fyou

O well...Sheldon has another TD. 2 recieving, 1 punt return. 35-12 Huskies.