2004 College Football Trash Talk Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one hell of a run by Bush.

FWIW Jason, I am with you. I moved south for a reason. I hate the cold and would be happy to never see snow again other than in pictures.

Auburn starting the ass-kicking early. If you watch this game, watch Brown and Williams, their RB's. They are both VERY good and will both play on Sundays soon. They have both sacrificed a lot of personal acclaim by staying for their senior years and playing side-by-side. Either would be a legit Heisman contender if the feature back. Both are seniors and very selfless.

Same could be said for Reggie Bush, I guess. He has to share time with White.

Oklahoma won't lose, so it is a moot point.

You can make arguments for all three of the top teams and basically get nowhere. Unfortunately, Auburn will be on the outside, looking in. I definitely think they are one of the top two teams, but it is hard to make an argument to remove Oklahoma or USC to fit Auburn in.

Two things about Auburn I find interesting...

1. Auburn has been criticized for an easy non-conference schedule (even through their overall schedule is much tougher than the other two). What I find somewhat interesting is that Bowling Green, one of the teams Oklahoma played out of conference with a good record, was originally on Auburn's schedule for this year. After last season, Bowling Green backed out of the contract (which happens fairly often) so they could take a bigger payday by playing at none other, than Oklahoma. I just find it ironic that one of the schools that supports OU's "tougher non-conference games" argument was one they stole from Auburn's schedule. I guess the moral of the story is Auburn should offer a higher payout to its non-conference foes from now on.

2. After Tommy Tuberville almost got fired last year, and survived -basically getting the President fired instead - he made a brash, some said foolish comment in the press conference when Auburn announced they were keeping him. His comment as he addressed the media was "We WILL win the National Championship. You CAN write that."

In most normal years, he would be backing up those words with a shot at it after a 12-0 season. I guess they did everything they could to back up those words. When he said it, I thought he was nuts.

Cal in a dogfight with Southern Miss.....

Wow, Cal just blocked a game-tying extra point attempt and ran it back for a two-point score! 

19-16 Cal with 6:00 to go.

That was such a huge run back for a two point play by Cal. Wow this is going to be a great finish or so it looks. But geeze, I look away to see the very end of the Bulls game, flip back and was like how the hell did Cal do that, lol.

OU is absolutely kicking the piss out of Colorado.

Well it is only a .0013 difference in Cal and Texas in the BCS and Cal's close game coupled with OU's blowout could send Texas schedule strength up enough to overtake them, that would be interesting. Get ready for a bunch of BCS complaing from every direction.

Well it is only a .0013 difference in Cal and Texas in the BCS and Cal's close game coupled with OU's blowout could send Texas schedule strength up enough to overtake them, that would be interesting. Get ready for a bunch of BCS complaing from every direction.

No matter what system or way college football approaches the national championship, there will be a problem. There is no way around it.

The think I think is bad about this whole thing is that the BCS system was created so that we didn't have arguments over who the best teams were and the polls were minimized to take the emotional arguments. After several years of tweaking, we are basically right back where we started with the polls mattering the most.

So we have basically come full circle and done nothing but create controversy along the way.

A severely flawed system hasn't been presented by anyone yet. With 8 teams you would still have 2 extra games on the season, with teams in the SEC and Big 12 already getting 12 games in a season, 14-15 games would be too much. Unless you force teams to schedule 10 games at max in a season and the conference championship games are the 11th for some teams. Even then you would have 14 game seasons for some teams. Not to mention the bickering would still continue between the 8th and 9th place finishers about who gets left out. But an 8 team system has always been the best idea I have heard yet.

Even a final 4 playoff would work, 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 then the winners play for the championship, only one extra game. I doubt 5 teams will end up undefeated and bicker over the 4th spot. But who knows.