2004 College Football Trash Talk Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough question Rowand, USC and OU have more talent, but Auburn went through the toughest schedule. All 3 have very good O's and D's. I have to go with Oklahoma though, White and Peterson are almost an unstoppable combo. That and I think Bob Stoops is the best coach of the bunch.

Tough question Rowand, USC and OU have more talent, but Auburn went through the toughest schedule. All 3 have very good O's and D's. I have to go with Oklahoma though, White and Peterson are almost an unstoppable combo. That and I think Bob Stoops is the best coach of the bunch.

Palehose, have we ever agreed on anything when it comes to college sports???? :lol:

USC senior defensive tackle Darrell Shropshire said many players did not take the news well.

“We really wanted to go to a bowl game, and the school says no after you did all the hard work. They didn’t really give nobody a chance to say anything.”

Senior in college, double negative.

Big-name coaches show interest in Indiana job

By Michael Marot

Associated Press

December 8, 2004

David Cutcliffe, Frank Solich and John Cooper -- three out-of-work coaches -- have expressed interest in Indiana's vacant football coaching job.

Each told The Associated Press that they missed the profession and would consider returning to the sidelines, possibly in Bloomington. None of the three, however, said they had been contacted by Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan.

Indiana spokesman Pete Rhoda said the school does not comment on any potential candidates that an eight-member search committee named Monday is considering.

Cutcliffe was fired by Mississippi on Dec. 1 -- the same day Greenspan fired Gerry DiNardo. Cutcliffe coached both Peyton and Eli Manning in college and went 44-29 in six seasons with the Rebels.

After spending one week away from the recruiting trail, Cutcliffe already wants to return.

"I'm pretty eager," Cutcliffe said Tuesday. "I love the contact with the kids and the recruiting. I didn't know how much I'd miss it. ... Any time you have a chance to take over a program and make it better, it's exciting."

Solich went 58-19 in six seasons at Nebraska before being fired, at age 59, in November 2003.

He has not coached since, but Solich interviewed last year for the job at Army, where Greenspan also served as athletic director. He later withdrew from the search, and Greenspan eventually hired Bobby Ross.

But Solich's passion for the game has not waned. He spent this year traveling the country to study college and professional teams so he could use a more balanced offense in his next job.

"It was a valuable time for me because I wanted to see what other teams were doing on offense," he said. "All that did was fuel my fire to get back into it."

Cooper, who went 111-43-4 in 13 seasons at Ohio State, spent this year doing color commentary and studio work on television and said he has already been contacted by a "prominent" Indiana alum.

He has not, however, heard from Greenspan or the search committee. Three years ago, Cooper also was interested in the Indiana job and he said Tuesday that he still missed coaching.

"Somebody called me from down there and I told them that if Rick is interested, to have him call me," said Cooper, who is 67. "At my age, any job I took would have to be a perfect fit. I'd listen, though."

Speculation has also centered on two other Ohio coaches -- Bowling Green's Greg Brandon and Miami's Terry Hoeppner.

Hoeppner did not return messages left by The Associated Press at his office and home. He signed a five-year contract extension with Miami last year after leading the RedHawks to their first Mid-American Conference title since 1986.

Brandon, a former assistant at Colorado and Northwestern, was preparing to play Memphis in the GMAC Bowl on Dec. 22 and said Indiana officials had not yet spoken to him. He declined further comment on the Hoosiers' opening.

This year marks the first time since 1992 that the Falcons have reached bowls in consecutive seasons, and Brandon has had success running an offense similar to Purdue's.

"We spread the field and try to take advantage of mismatches," he said. "We try to make people cover."

The Hoosiers are searching for their fourth football coach since 1996. Indiana has not produced a winning season since 1994 and has gone 11 consecutive years without a bowl bid.

At last week's news conference, Greenspan said he wanted someone who was dynamic, energetic, passionate about the game and ambitious to win.

Greenspan took over at Indiana in September and this will be his first high-profile decision.

"I don't believe in quick fixes," Greenspan said then. "The goal for us is to build a viable program that is highly competitive and attractive to recruits and our fans."

Cutcliffe, Solich and Cooper all believe it is an ambition that can be achieved at Indiana.

"I think with the right support, the right people, the right president and the right athletic director, you can win," Cooper said. "I think it takes a commitment, but I don't think you can do it in two or three years."

Greasy, what do you know about Selwyn Lymon?  He finally committed to Purdue earlier this week.  I know he's one of the top WR in the country, but wondered if you knew anything more since he's another FW guy.

I saw that. He went to FW Harding. He's about 6'5'' IIRC...and he's got speed. I think 3 of his 4 years he was a first-team all SAC WR. I don't have many stats to supply right now, because the Fort Wayne newspaper that used to keep them decided to stop that idea. However, all bias aside, you're going to really like Lymon.

Even more possible ouch for SC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1941831

Thats teh biggest pile of BS ever.....um, it was pretty obvious that we were gonna go after Spurrier hard and heavy, and there was a timeframe to get it done. Why bring some coaches in for token interviews, knowing you weren't gonna hire em? This crap is just getting old. Find better battles to put your resources towards, BCA....gimme a friggin break.

How many black candidates has Notre Dame interviewed?

--------------------------

There's a relly good game goin' on right now. Div II championship game -- There is some hitting going on, and it's been a well played game.

As I type Valdosta St. scores, the RB gets lit up when he crosses the goal line -- He wont see straight for a week after that one.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

Thats teh biggest pile of BS ever.....um, it was pretty obvious that we were gonna go after Spurrier hard and heavy, and there was a timeframe to get it done. Why bring some coaches in for token interviews, knowing you weren't gonna hire em? This crap is just getting old. Find better battles to put your resources towards, BCA....gimme a friggin break.

Completely agree with you.

There's a relly good game goin' on right now.  Div II championship game -- There is some hitting going on, and it's been a well played game.

As I type Valdosta St. scores, the RB gets lit up when he crosses the goal line -- He wont see straight for a week after that one.

Out of curiosity, how many viable black candidates are there for big time head coaching jobs?

Out of curiosity, how many viable black candidates are there for big time head coaching jobs?

Well I can think of one ;)

The point was, why complain about one university, who clearly wasn't going to have an interview process because they had their candidate already, and not complain about another, who can't seem to entice anyone to even think about taking their job in a long drawn out process.

There's a relly good game goin' on right now.  Div II championship game -- There is some hitting going on, and it's been a well played game.

That's why Greg Blache got an interview..

I know this isn't going to be the most famous coach, but I'm kind of liking what I'm hearing about Hoeppner, IU's new coach. I have faith that AD Greenspan can get the football program turned around. Another good thing about Hoeppner is he was born in Fort Wayne! :headbang

IU chooses Hoeppner for football post

Indiana native has led the Miami of Ohio football team to two consecutive bowl bids.

By Terry Hutchens

[email protected]

December 17, 2004

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A Hoosier by birth, Terry Hoeppner developed strong Ohio roots in his 19 seasons at Miami of Ohio University, the last six as head football coach.

At the age of 57, he said there was only one job for which he would have considered leaving Miami -- Indiana University.

On Friday, the Woodburn, Ind. native was introduced by IU president Adam Herbert and athletic director Rick Greenspan as the Hoosiers' 26th football coach during an afternoon press conference in the school's football complex. Hoeppner replaces Gerry DiNardo, who was fired on Dec. 1 after three seasons and an 8-27 record.

Terms of the contract won't be finalized until the weekend but Hoeppner will get a five-year deal.

"Terry is a ball coach," Greenspan said. "I say that in the most endearing way. He coaches hard. He has high expectations on the field and in the classroom as evidenced by his win-loss record and his graduation rates. Terry is innovative, emotional and well grounded in family values. Terry's team plays exciting, winning football. As he told me, we are going to put pressure on you offensively and we are going to be coming downhill after you defensively."

Hoeppner, 48-24 in six seasons with the RedHawks, will coach Miami one more time, in the Dec. 28 Independence Bowl against Iowa State.

Hoeppner was enthusiastic and engaging as he answered questions Friday. He said the Rose Bowl will be IU's goal.

"I wish my kids could be here today because they are passionate about our family and passionate about Indiana University," Hoeppner said. "They want to meet (IU play-by-play radio voice) Don Fischer because they have been riding around in cars for a long time listening to him call Indiana football and Indiana basketball. "

Hoeppner thanked longtime friend and former IU football coach Bill Mallory for attending, and he had a special message for the 10 IU football players who stood in the back of the room.

"For you guys that are here, I guarantee you this: We are going to build, with the foundation you have created here, a championship football team. This is no joke. If you play in the Big Ten and you don't aspire to go to the Rose Bowl, then you are really cheating yourself. So that's going to be our goal. Anything less, and we would be selling ourselves short.

"Nothing worthwhile is ever gained easily. If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right. Well, I think we can."

His message hit the mark with his new team. The players first learned about Hoeppner late Thursday night when offensive lineman Adam Hines received a call from a high school teammate. That former teammate, who now plays for Miami, had just returned from a meeting with Hoeppner, who broke the news to the team. Hines then started calling his teammates.

"I think it's a rebirth for the team as a whole," said IU quarterback Blake Powers. "I had heard rumors of different coaches but when I heard that (Hoeppner) wanted the job I was hoping he would get it. I think it's good for me as an individual, but more importantly it's good for the whole team."

Greenspan used every tool at his disposal over the past two weeks in his search for IU's new football coach. He used a private plane, piloted by an alumnus, to make 15 trips to interview candidates. Confidentiality was a top priority and he swore more than one athletic director to secrecy. One of those was Miami of Ohio AD Brad Bates, who Greenspan spoke with early in the process.

Greenspan said he talked to dozens of prospective candidates during the search. About 10 received interviews of at least three hours, he said. Among that group was Kansas State defensive coordinator Bob Elliott. None took place in Bloomington. A few were held in Indianapolis, but in the majority of cases Greenspan went to visit the candidates themselves.

Greenspan would not confirm the identities of any other candidates he inteviewed, but said three were minority candidates.

"The search process was extensive nationally and open to those who applied. We were aggressive in our pursuit of many. However, in the end, the choice was easy. I thought it was time to add a Hoosier to Indiana football," Greenspan said.

When IU athletic director Michael McNeely hired DiNardo in January of 2002, the announcement came 34 days after the firing of Cam Cameron. This time, Greenspan hired Hoeppner in 16 days.

A quick decision was viewed as a plus in terms of IU retaining the majority of the 15 recruits who have verbally committed. In at least one case, however, even 16 days may have been too long. Adam Hahn, a 6-4, 245-pound defensive end from Hartford, Wis., was noncommittal when asked Friday about Hoeppner.

"Right now I'm in the middle of making a decision, and I really don't know what to say about it," Hahn said. "I think it would probably be better to call me in a few days and I'll probably have an announcement."

Andrew Means, a 6-2, 205-pound wide receiver from Avon Lake, Ohio, said he was leaving his options open until he heard who the IU coach hired.

"Coach Hoeppner was the first coach to offer me a scholarship so that was great news to hear that he was going to IU," Means said.