Awards from Soxtalk

Butter Parque

Most Improved Player ... but that would be a slam dunk for Rowand.

I would vote for Willie Harris

Seriously, the only other person who could give him a run for his money in that title is Davis and Harris and(*potential personal attack coming* :o ) only a homer would vote for them over Rowand.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Improved Player ... but that would be a slam dunk for Rowand.

Why not Konerko? After that awful year he had last year, I would say he is by far the most improved. Followed by Rowand, Davis, etc.. But that's if there's an award called "Comeback Player of the Year" whicch is clearly him. ;)

So out of curiousity does someone, or a few people, want to take control of this and take it from an idea, and start to put some substance to it???

I should make a post here, but Parque is gonna be running it, but he's definately open to everyones suggestions :)

I've got a category: who are we most glad is no longer with the Sox? A couple of nominees to start it off -

Billy Koch

Nardi Contreras

Dan Wright (I think techinically he's still on the forty-man roster, but he won't be pitching for quite some time)

Brian Daubach

Jerry Manuel

Old School Special:

Jaime Navarro

It should stay positive for the most part, I don't think "guy who we thank heavens is gone" is a good category. B/c that gets done over enough in the threads. Also, we're all happy that some of the players lurk/post. Why risk that by "officially" bashing their friends?

That said, "most important game" should allow negative events. IMO, that easily goes to the Hunter-Burke debacle this season.

It should stay positive for the most part, I don't think "guy who we thank heavens is gone" is a good category.  B/c that gets done over enough in the threads.  Also, we're all happy that some of the players lurk/post.  Why risk that by "officially" bashing their friends?

That said, "most important game" should allow negative events.  IMO, that easily goes to the Hunter-Burke debacle this season.

When we tried to figure out the Soxtalk awards last year, we decided to keep it as positive as possible.

The only negative category I would have would probably be "Biggest Dissapointment of the year" I don't think thats too bad considering the whole year has been one gigantic dissapointment. Sorry I wasn't here, I was out of town for awhile. Here is my preliminary Soxtalk Categories:

1) "Chicago White Sox MVP"

2) "Breakthrough White Sox Player"

3) " Best White Sox Hitter"

4) "Best White Sox Starting Pitcher"

5) " Best White Sox Relief Man"

6) " Biggest Surprise Performer"

7) " Biggest White Sox Dissapointment"

8) " Best White Sox Acquisition of the Year"

9) " Best White Sox Play of the Year"

10) " Best Game of the Year"

11) "Most Important White Sox Moment"

12) " Overall White Sox Grade"

Thats what I have come up with so far but I want to leave the categories at 12 as a maximum. I'm also going to need help from you guys remembering the best play, best moments, and the dates for the best game.

Maybe it's just me, but I think we should do things more along what's our favorite...because best hitter will end up being a 2-horse race between Rowand and Konerko, and best reliever will be Shingo.

What I'm basically saying is that for categories like best hitter, best pitcher, best reliever, we should change those to favorite hitter, favorite pitcher, favorite reliever, etc. That way if you really like seeing Damaso pitch, and several others do too, he's got a shot. And if you like seeing Juan Uribe hit over Konerko or Rowand, he's got a shot too.

Best game is an opinion...some will say the 2-1 Garland-Santana duel where all 3 runs were scored in the first. Others may say the game where Carlos extended his streak to 28-games. Others may say Buehrle's 2-hit shutout(I believe it was against Cleveland).

yeah, we could do the favorites, lets see what some other people think.

I still don't like negative categories related to individual players, even biggest disappointment -- not because negativity is bad, just b/c it will (I think) carry some official soxtalk label. It's fine in the threads.

But say "favorite game" -- I don't know, "most important game" seems better. Just can't ignore that Burke-Hunter thing, I think. It erased in my memory whatever my favorite game was.

I'd use fewer categories and a bunch of nominations (5 may be too few, 10 too many, it's not divisible by 5, but why not 8, or 7 if you prefer?).

The only negative category I would have would probably be "Biggest Dissapointment of the year" I don't think thats too bad considering the whole year has been one gigantic dissapointment. Sorry I wasn't here, I was out of town for awhile. Here is my preliminary Soxtalk Categories:

1) "Chicago White Sox MVP"

2) "Breakthrough White Sox Player"

3) " Best White Sox Hitter"

4) "Best White Sox Starting Pitcher"

5) " Best White Sox Relief Man"

6) " Biggest Surprise Performer"

7) " Biggest White Sox Dissapointment"

8) " Best White Sox Acquisition of the Year"

9) " Best White Sox Play of the Year"

10) " Best Game of the Year"

11) "Most Important White Sox Moment"

12) " Overall White Sox Grade"

Thats what I have come up with so far but I want to leave the categories at 12 as a maximum. I'm also going to need help from you guys remembering the best play, best moments, and the dates for the best game.

All right, to me the next step is to put the awards in order of which ones we will vote on first, second etc. Then start threads with nominations for each category so that we can have them narrowed down to 4 or 5 for each award.

I already talked to Chisoxfn about how we are going to set this thing up. He is going to set-up a sub-forum so that you can click on a Soxtalk Awards link and automatically have access to vote for every category on one page. It makes things a lot easier for the voters. Right now it looks as if the awards will be held for 3 days to maximize the amount voters we can have on the website. After the 3 days, the link to Soxtalk Awards will be taken off the board to prevent voting after the "polls close" :P Anyway, I'll take down all of the winners and the percentages of each nominee for all the categories and present them the next day on the web site.

I don't think having the plaques and mailing them to USCF is such a good idea. If your going to spend money on these things, at least you should have the assurance that they will be wanted or taken care of. i don't think any millionaire white sox player really gives a crap about a plaque from a message board. But tha's just me.