Any gearheads out there?

Queen Prawn

This thread is brought to you by a discussion on 97.9 and things I hear from Brainage and his fellow gearheads.

Does your significant other give you a hard time about being a gearhead or tell you what you can and can't have (in terms of cars and things to put on them such as blowers and NOS kits and such)?

On 97.9 they were talking about how wives and/or girlfriends give men a hard time about cars and working on them and/or buying them.

Just a couple weeks ago a friend of ours was telling us that his live-in-lady told him he could only have one car besides his everyday driver. I don't get that. I wouldn't say that to Brainage because one, he would go out of his way to buy something else. Sort of like when I am driving and he tells me to hurry up so of course that means I slow down to 20 MPH (when no one is around or we are on a side street of course).

Another friend of theirs was forced to sell their dragster (it was a 10 second car) and was not allowed (and yes, this is the word that was used) so they could by a family car.

So my question is this, as long as the bills are paid, a roof over you, food on the table and clothes on your back, why do women give men a hard time about this?

I guess it confuses me because my mom never hassled my dad when he would tinker with the family car (he and his buddy did some whacked out stuff to the old 78/79 Fairmont station wagon) and I have never even thought of hassling Brain as I like his cars and have actually worked on them with him. (My part is the wiring - hey, I had to get some use out of my degree besides a paycheck. :lolhitting )

I need to take a few automotive courses. It's really good stuff to know. All my friends are always talking about cars and I haven't the slightest what they're talking about.

I don't think that many people get hassled for owning a few cars. I'd really like to own an old el Camino some day... those things are sweet. :wub:

On the topic of classic cars I was hoping to get some of your guys opinions on this car on ebay motors. Give me your thoughts and what you think the car is worth and let me know. Since the reserve wasn't met I was thinking of contacting the guy to try to work a deal out with him if it isn't gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...agename=rvi:1:3

Goats are cool.  For me, personally, my dream car is a 60s Mercury Comet Cyclone or a Comet Caliente.  I love the look of those cares - stacked headlights are the way to go.

I agree, I love some of the classic Mercs. They made some really nice looking cars back in the day. Speaking of stacked headlights, GTO's had those for a short period as well and I thought it looked really sweet. Although the newer models after that looked great for a while too, until 1973 :puke

Definitely contact him as it sound rough from the description and you might be able to get him down a bit. Brain was hoping someone would do that with the car he had up that didn't sell (we are still trying to get rid of it - he bought it for parts and switched what he could which wasn't much).

I agree, I love some of the classic Mercs.  They made some really nice looking cars back in the day.  Speaking of stacked headlights, GTO's had those for a short period as well and I thought it looked really sweet.  Although the newer models after that looked great for a while too, until 1973  :puke

After 73 is when some of the mercs started to go downhill as well (appearance and powerwise).

Definitely contact him as it sound rough from the description and you might be able to get him down a bit. Brain was hoping someone would do that with the car he had up that didn't sell (we are still trying to get rid of it - he bought it for parts and switched what he could which wasn't much).

Yeah, I think I am going to do that pretty soon after I talk to my dad and have him get a look at it as well. What kind of car was Brian trying to sell?

1969 Mercury Marquis. It has a sweet engine - 429 and a CD changer in it. The body has a few spots of rust, but not much. The interior has a tear or two, but other than that the interior is sweet.

He bought it to switch parts for his Marauder (69 X-100 - a true land yacht).

1969 Mercury Marquis.  It has a sweet engine - 429 and a CD changer in it.  The body has a few spots of rust, but not much.  The interior has a tear or two, but other than that the interior is sweet. 

He bought it to switch parts for his Marauder (69 X-100 - a true land yacht).

Nice car. Gotta love something that you drive down the street and people are shocked because they don't know what the hell the car is and they have never seen a car that big in their life.