fantasy football team

First off, I've made it clear that I disagree with your statement that there were no decent backs available in the 2nd round, and that I don't believe that there is a big enough gap between Culpepper and guys like McNair, Hasselback, and McNabb to warrant taking him when there is somone like Barlow or Dillon there.

Westbrook didn't get as many carries, but that is at least as much because of who else was there as whatever injury concerns they had. Staley had proven that he was a solid back, even if he is on the downside of his career, and Buckhalter had at least as much potential if not more than Westbrook at this point last year. Considering what he did with limited touches last year, I would consider him a smaller risk than taking Thomas Jones this year. Comparing Jones to Holmes is a bit asanine, until last season he had never averaged more than 3.7 yards per carry, and that's with basically being handed the feature back job in Arizona to start the year. He always either got hurt or sucked enough to get benched. The Bears O isn't going to be any better than that one. Even assuming he had accomplished more, guys with several years of experience typically don't come out of nowhere to become All-pros(only ones that come to mind are Holmes and Ahman Green), so mentioning one guy that has done it doesn't really add to your argument. There are at least twice as many guys that haven't done anything in a similar situation, probably a ton more. I could as easily compare him to someone like Stacy Mack or James Allen and the comparison would be just as apt(player moving to another team and getting a better chance). Even someone like James Stewart isn't all that flattering a comparison. An offense only means so much. There have been QB's that have thrived in a west coast style offense like Montana and Warner and guys that absolutely sucked like Rick Mirer and Kordell Stewart(and those are both just Bears examples). Like the Rams and Chiefs offenses aren't built around the pass? Take a look at the numbers for Kurt Warner and Trent Green the last few years in those offenses, and then try to tell me with a straight face that those are running teams. One of the big criticisms of the Rams' O the last couple years is that they were too enamored with throwing the ball and didn't run it with Faulk enough. In his time with the Rams his high in carries is 260, and he had at least 700 receiving yards in each of his great years. Jones is simply not THAT good a receiver, although he'll catch some balls. Holmes has gotten a good number of carries, but he has been an All-pro the last few years and still had fewer carries than Curtis Martin last year. Staley and Buckhalter combined for about 220 carries last year, Wesbrook had another 117. That's an awful lot of carries from the HB position, and he's their only real option this year.

As I said in a previous post, I don't end up with Coles or Rogers as my #1 receiver, I only have one team that doesn't have Moss, Holt, Harrison, Owens, Chad Johnson, or Boldin as my number 1(drafted before he got hurt). I'd much rather have Duece and Holt/Harrison/Owens/Johnson than Moss and Jones.

No, I'm not worried.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I disagree with you as well. Dillon? I think we have already been through this. I already said Barlow lasted until one pick before me and I would have taken him in the third. IN THE THIRD! Obviously no one else thought he was worth a 2nd round pick either.

That could have been on of the reasons for limiting Westbrook's carries. TJ behind an awful line in Arizona. Preist Holmes behind one of the best lines in the NFL in Baltimore. Could that be a reason for the 3.7 yards per carry? He was NEVER handed the starting job. Our OLine has 2 former pro bowlers on it and possibly a future one in Jon Tait and pro bowl alternate that is injured in Rex Tucker. This line is a s***LOAD BETTER THAN THAT ARI O-LINE! Are you kidding me? Why do you think this offense will not be better than that one? What you say here is non sense and seems like you are saying it just for arguments sake with no thought put into it what so ever. I am mentioning one guy, Priest Holmes, because he was put into the same exact situation inthe same exact offense. I am mentioning one guy, Priest Holmes, because that is whom our coaching staff has compared him to time and time again. You are seriously going to compare the talents of Stacey Mack, James Stewart, and James Allen to Thomas Jones? You are seriously on something and have watched not one ounce of football if you seriously believe that. Jones is a very good receiver, he was just never placed in that situation in that type of offense. Westbrook will never last through 300 carries and the numerous of catches he will have. I can't wait for this season to start so you can eat your words. I have Moss, CULPEPPER, Jones, and Brown.

Brown is also very intriguing as he also mixes into this discussion as I got him in the 4th round. In most mock drafts he has gone in the 3rd round. He kinda reminds me of Deuce's situation a few years back when they traded away Ricky Williams in order to start Deuce. Chris Brown is the same type of back with the upright running style, good at the goal line, and a very good receiver out of the backfield. Remeber Deuce's first year as a starter? 1388 yards rushing and 16 total TDs, another 352 receiving. Could be the same situation. I can't wait to hear why it won't be according to you. If you mention Antowain Smith I am going to be laughing my ass off.

Here is what Fanball.com's sources say about a couple players we have been arguing over:

Chris Brown: The next stud running back

Chris Brown led the AFC in rushing yards this preseason. That stat is virtually meaningless, but the second-year man from Colorado ran like a young Eddie George, except with speed and elusiveness. You need look no further than George to see the potential in Brown. Eddie ran for no less than 1,300 yards and an average of 8.5 touchdowns in his first five seasons with the Titans, although he never averaged more than 4.1 yards per carry. Brown averaged 7.5 yards per carry this preseason. Chris is the unquestioned number one back in Country Music Paradise and looks to be a solid number two fantasy back. While he still has to prove he can run well against defenses more prepared to stop him, his fantasy worth will depend more upon whether he can stay healthy all year in the face of constant pounding.

My 4th round pick.

Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles

Westbrook was handed the keys to the Eagles' offense by default when Correll Buckhalter went down with a season-ending torn patellar tendon. Westbrook managed 11 touchdowns last year despite splitting carries three ways with the now-departed Duce Staley and Buckhalter. Now, suddenly, he's the every down back. While this prospect makes us giddy in anticipation of what one man alone can do in an offense that found a way to squeeze 2,500 yards and 27 touchdowns out of last season's three-headed monster, it's also scary to think what could happen to the 5-8, 200 pound back in the face of such constant pounding. He's proven he has a knack for injury, and the Eagles will be holding their breath every time he takes a big hit. You should be, too. It will be interesting to see how Westbrook takes to the feature-back role, and also to see if unheralded second-year man Reno Mahe and rookie Thomas Tapeh manage to snipe any of his carries.

The guy you wanted me to take instead of Thomas Jones.

Quentin Griffin, Denver Broncos

Watching Griffin run this preseason was somewhat similar to watching, dare I say, a certain former Lions' running back of similar stature with the initials B.S. While it is likely a bunch of, well, B.S. to think that Griffin is anything resembling the Hall of Famer, at times he did look Sanders-esque. Not only because of his physique, but because of his quick, elusive running style and because you get the feeling he could just as easily take it the distance as he could lose five yards on every carry. Griffin is the number one back heading into week one, thanks to his great preseason performance, Mike Anderson's injured knee, and Tatum Bell's injured hand. Keep an eye on the carries early on, and if Tatum starts stealing a few more carries each game, watch out. Remember, Clinton Portis didn't even start for the Broncos in his rookie year until week five. He finished with 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns. Bell is essentially an unknown at this point, and If Griffin holds onto the job, he'll be a star. Just watch the distribution of carries here carefully and be ready to bail on one or the other.

My 7th round pick

The Vikings' running backs and number two receiver

Is Michael Bennett out for one game? Two? Four? Will Onterrio Smith ever be suspended? What happens to Moe Williams when both are back and healthy? It looks like Smith and Williams will share carries in week one, and then it's anybody's guess. At receiver, while newcomer Marcus Robinson nursed a sore hammy for weeks on end, second-year man Nate Burleson quietly crept into the picture as the top option behind Randy Moss. During camp, coach Mike Tice called out Robinson for babying his injury and made Burleson the starter. He responded with five catches for 89 yards and a touchdown. Whoever ends up number two on the Vikings' totem pole becomes a solid number three fantasy receiver.

WR Position

Referees will call the new rule very closely in an effort to break cornerbacks' bad habits early on. After the yellow flags become worn and tattered from overuse, receivers should have the upper hand without so much clutching and grabbing going on. It is frightening to think what receivers like Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison can do without having cornerbacks draped all over them like the paparazzi on Britney Spears during their routes. Depending upon how closely the calls are made, the receiver position could become pivotal for your fantasy team.

Ooo, fanball.com, I'm shaking in my boots. One site of supposed "experts" doesn't mean that much, I've seen places recommend taking Warner number 2 overall going into 2002, and other so called expert drafts have Brett Favre go in the 1st round. I'm done. I'm just waiting for the season to start.

I just got my 1st team last night.

What do you think?

QB C. Pennington (NYJ - QB)

J. Delhomme (Car - QB)

WR C. Johnson (Cin - WR)

An. Johnson (Hou - WR)

M. Booker (Mia - WR)

M. Muhammad (Car - WR)

J. Porter (Oak - WR)

T. Taylor (Bal - WR)

Tr. Brown (NE - WR)

RB L. Tomlinson (SD - RB)

J. Lewis (Bal - RB)

K. Barlow (SF - RB)

K. Jones (Det - RB)

TE R. McMichael (Mia - TE)

K P. Edinger (Chi - K)

J. Carney (NO - K)

DEF Kansas City

Green Bay

What do you think?

QB  C. Pennington (NYJ - QB)

J. Delhomme (Car - QB) 

WR C. Johnson (Cin - WR)

An. Johnson (Hou - WR)

M. Booker (Mia - WR)

M. Muhammad (Car - WR)

J. Porter (Oak - WR)

T. Taylor (Bal - WR)

Tr. Brown (NE - WR)

RB  L. Tomlinson (SD - RB)

J. Lewis (Bal - RB)

K. Barlow (SF - RB)

K. Jones (Det - RB)

TE  R. McMichael (Mia - TE)

K P. Edinger (Chi - K)

J. Carney (NO - K)

DEF  Kansas City

Green Bay

i like it. how many wr are you starting? just curious cause you have alot of 'em. awesome rb depth. not a fan of pennigton's but he is projected to have a break out year and delhomme should be a good backup. good te and k. judging by your rbs it was smaller league or you drafted with idiots. :lol:

What do you think?

QB  C. Pennington (NYJ - QB)

J. Delhomme (Car - QB) 

WR C. Johnson (Cin - WR)

An. Johnson (Hou - WR)

M. Booker (Mia - WR)

M. Muhammad (Car - WR)

J. Porter (Oak - WR)

T. Taylor (Bal - WR)

Tr. Brown (NE - WR)

RB  L. Tomlinson (SD - RB)

J. Lewis (Bal - RB)

K. Barlow (SF - RB)

K. Jones (Det - RB)

TE  R. McMichael (Mia - TE)

K P. Edinger (Chi - K)

J. Carney (NO - K)

DEF  Kansas City

Green Bay

That is a kick ass f***ing team, but get rid of the Kansas City defense. Now that they have a first place schedule, look for them to get stomped in a good number of games. That is nowhere near a good defense that they have over there.

If someone can give me an opinion on my team in a league with some friends for a $100 pot...

QB-Daunte Culpepper

HB1-Ladanian Tomlinson

HB2-Rudi Johnson

WR1-Koren Robinson

WR2-Jimmy Smith

TE-Todd Heap

K-Vanderjagt

DEF-St. Louis(starting because they are playing 'Zona)

BN-Duce Staley

BN-Marty Booker

BN-Jeff Garcia

BN-Daniel Graham

BN-Martin Gramatica

BN-Seattle

i like it. how many wr are you starting? just curious cause you have alot of 'em. awesome rb depth. not a fan of pennigton's but he is projected to have a break out year and delhomme should be a good backup. good te and k. judging by your rbs it was smaller league or you drafted with idiots. :lol:

It was an autodraft, I can't claim too much here. But, most of these guys I would have drafted if given the option.

I start 2 RBs and 4 WRs

I had Teyo Johnson as a backup TE but waived him and picked up Kevan Barlow (someone was a dumbass and waived him)

McMichael does have a bye week til November, so I can wait and see on a backup.

If someone can give me an opinion on my team in a league with some friends for a $100 pot...

QB-Daunte Culpepper

HB1-Ladanian Tomlinson

HB2-Rudi Johnson

WR1-Koren Robinson

WR2-Jimmy Smith

TE-Todd Heap

K-Vanderjagt

DEF-St. Louis(starting because they are playing 'Zona)

BN-Duce Staley

BN-Marty Booker

BN-Jeff Garcia

BN-Daniel Graham

BN-Martin Gramatica

BN-Seattle

Are there any other WRs to start this week besides Booker, Smith and Robinson? Start Booker over Smith.

Other than that.. I'd say it's okay.

I had Teyo Johnson as a backup TE but waived him and picked up Kevan Barlow (someone was a dumbass and waived him)

McMichael does have a bye week til November, so I can wait and see on a backup.

wow that guy was a dumbass... :lol:

if i'm drafting i almost never go for a bacup te or k, sometimes def too. just a wasted roster space unless you need them immediately or plan on regularly rotating between the two.

Are there any other WRs to start this week besides Booker, Smith and Robinson? Start Booker over Smith.

Other than that.. I'd say it's okay.

Yeah I wish I had another WR but I have studs at QB, HB, TE, K, etc...

I can't decide between Booker and Smith.

Booker is playing a tough D and won't be the main guy in Miami, plus I don't trust Fiedler like I do Leftwich.

I dunno.

I think I may drop Graham and pick up Warrick.

Hey Irish, if it makes you feel any better I ended up taking your route in the Soxtalk league(12 teams). RB's were flying off the board. I got Ahman Green at #5 and the best RB's there on my wraparound pick were Dillon(I like his ability but I am not personally a fan of his), Westbrook, S. Davis and Travis Henry. I decided to take Harrison and see what happened. The best available guys when I picked in the 3rd were Chris Brown and Thomas Jones, which didn't thrill me. Luckily two of the guys in front of me decided to take Hines Ward and Joe Horn, so I managed to get Chad Johnson, so my team looks like this-

QB- Brady, Carr

RB- Green, Martin, Bennett, Minor

WR- Harrison, Johnson, Lelie(waited to long), McCardell, T. Taylor

TE- McMichael

D- Carolina, Minnesota

K- Edinger, M.Gramatica

I know you're not a fan of Bennett and I doubt you like Martin(Considering what I did it could have been worse, the guy had over 1500 yards last year, and I would expect more than two TD's this season) but when those are my two backs behind Green when I also have Harrison and Johnson, I think they'll do. I think that kind of proves my point about flexibility if you get a RB in the first, but I really don't want to get started again.

I think I did okay.

But I have to watch those stupid bye weeks.

I wish we had done head to head.

QB D. McNabb (Phi - QB)

J. Plummer (Den - QB)

WR P. Burress (Pit - WR)

J. Porter (Oak - WR)

D. Branch (NE - WR)

M. Muhammad (Car - WR)

D. Hall (KC - WR)

RB J. Lewis (Bal - RB)

J. Jones (Dal - RB)

G. Hearst (Den - RB)

J. Bettis (Pit - RB)

TE M. Pollard (Ind - TE)

K A. Vinatieri (NE - K)

S. Janikowski (Oak - K)

DEF Baltimore (Bal - DEF)

Hey Irish, if it makes you feel any better I ended up taking your route in the Soxtalk league(12 teams). RB's were flying off the board. I got Ahman Green at #5 and the best RB's there on my wraparound pick were Dillon(I like his ability but I am not personally a fan of his), Westbrook, S. Davis and Travis Henry. I decided to take Harrison and see what happened. The best available guys when I picked in the 3rd were Chris Brown and Thomas Jones, which didn't thrill me. Luckily two of the guys in front of me decided to take Hines Ward and Joe Horn, so I managed to get Chad Johnson, so my team looks like this-

QB- Brady, Carr

RB- Green, Martin, Bennett, Minor

WR- Harrison, Johnson, Lelie(waited to long), McCardell, T. Taylor

TE- McMichael

D- Carolina, Minnesota

K- Edinger, M.Gramatica

I know you're not a fan of Bennett and I doubt you like Martin(Considering what I did it could have been worse, the guy had over 1500 yards last year, and I would expect more than two TD's this season) but when those are my two backs behind Green when I also have Harrison and Johnson, I think they'll do. I think that kind of proves my point about flexibility if you get a RB in the first, but I really don't want to get started again.

I like that team. I think Martin is a good pick that late as well as your points about him are very good. Like I said if I was able to get a top 5 back things would have looked a lot different on my team. I won't take Deuce over Moss. I won't take any of the RBs that were available to you in the 2nd over Culpepper. There is a reason that none of them thrilled either of us. In the third and fourth is where I drafted my RBs and that is where you got Chad Johnson, which to me is an awesome pick. He shouldn't have been there.

I peronally don't know why either Chris Brown or Thomas Jones thrills you. Both of these backs can be very good.

Your QBs don't do much for me, but with Green, Harrison, and Chad Johnson you should be more than ok. Martin should do just fine as a #2 back.

By the way, what are your starting lineup options? How many RBs, WRs every week?

Zoom, here is a good article for you that shows why I don't like Lav Coles or Issac Bruce at all. It's good reading. Enjoy.

Player Spotlight: Laveranues Coles

Coles has gone over 1,200 yards in two straight seasons.

By Ted Carlson, Senior Editor

September 9, 2004 5:00 AM ET

Many fantasy owners list Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, and Torry Holt as their top three fantasy receivers. And for good reason, as Moss, Harrison, and Holt are three of the four NFL receivers who have gone over 1,200 yards in each of the last two seasons. The fourth? Must be Hines Ward or Terrell Owens, right? Nope, keep scanning down the rankings. Chad Johnson? No. Joe Horn? Derrick Mason?

Since he's the subject of this article, you probably guessed long ago that Laveranues Coles is the answer. The next question then is why a player with 2,468 yards over the last two seasons doesn't get much respect relative to Moss, Harrison, and Holt?

Coles has three big things working against him in fantasy circles: His past touchdown production, Mark Brunell, and a lingering toe injury.

On the first point, Coles scored only six, five, and seven touchdowns over the last three seasons. Those numbers put him in a group with such recent fantasy teases as Jimmy Smith, Isaac Bruce, and Amani Toomer. Bruce has reached double-digit touchdowns twice in his long career but has settled for seven or fewer scores in six of his last eight seasons. Smith and Toomer have never caught more than eight scores. As such, Smith, Toomer, and Bruce are routinely (and justifiably) ranked well below the elite fantasy receivers despite their solid production.

Holt formerly belonged to that group as well, but Torry broke out with 12 touchdowns in 2003. Coles undoubtedly has the talent to score at a similar rate, but the second and third aspects named above will once again keep him from elite fantasy levels this season.

Coles' Redskin career and 2003 season got off to a promising start when he piled up 106, 180, and 105 yards in the first three games. However, Coles suffered a hairline fracture in his big right toe during that third contest and played the rest of the season with the malady. Laveranues managed to reach the 100-yard mark only once more over the final 13 games. Sadly for fantasy owners, Coles choose to wait until nearly the end of the season to reveal his injury.

Even more sadly, Coles opted for rest over surgery during the offseason. He stayed off the foot for a while, and then played in the Pro Bowl. He stayed off the foot some more, and then participated in May minicamps. Unfortunately, the rest did not work, as his toe bothered him in early May.

More rest and new support in his shoe have helped a little, but Coles will still need to nurse the toe throughout the season. As such, we can only expect him to play at the level he showed over the last 13 weeks of 2003. His 813 yards and five touchdowns over that span project to 1,001 yards and roughly six scores. – not exactly elite numbers.

We then come to the third concern: Brunell. The Redskins new starting quarterback is a three-time Pro Bowler who does a nice job of game management, but he's not exactly fantasy-friendly. Brunell has never thrown more than 20 touchdowns in a season, and no receiver under his watch has ever eclipsed the eight-score mark. With the Redskins forming their offense around Clinton Portis and the ground game, Brunell won't likely change those two stats about himself this season.

As such, we don't expect Coles to have a breakout touchdown campaign with Brunell under center and in Gibbs' run-first system. If his toe doesn't bother him too much, Coles could turn that 1,001-yard rate into another 1,200-yard season. However, it looks like Laveranues is headed toward another Jimmy Smith- and Amani Toomer-like campaign.

• 2 weeks later...