Sox Not Going to Make Offer to Maggs

CWSGuy406

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt NY paying a bunch of that?

that's with the NY money taken out...

Contreras is due $8MIL next season, minus the 2 NY is sending us next year = $6MIL

Garcia is only making $8MIL next season though.

Everett, you might as well put down for $4.5 though, $4MIL next season plus 500K for the buyout in 2006.

As much as I hate to even think about losing Magglio -- I am actually starting to like this whole idea. Presuming we let Maggs walk and JR doesnt pocket the cash -- I saw we make a strong, stron puch for Guillen's boy Pierre. I would be more than happy with an OF of Pierre, Rowand and Lee (presuming that we get more of the 28 game hit streak Lee). That outfield is a great start in turning this into team Ozzie.

As much as I hate to even think about losing Magglio -- I am actually starting to like this whole idea.  Presuming we let Maggs walk and JR doesnt pocket the cash -- I saw we make a strong, stron puch for Guillen's boy Pierre.  I would be more than happy with an OF of Pierre, Rowand and Lee (presuming that we get more of the 28 game hit streak Lee).  That outfield is a great start in turning this into team Ozzie.

Welcome to Soxtalk!!!!

:cheers

Frankly, my ideal offseason (if Maggs has to leave) would be to pick up Pierre as I had stated in my last post, trade Konerko (Although I love the guy -- he just isnt a situational hitter) for some quality pitching (Can anyone say Odalis -- I know we have been down this road before but there has to be something that can make it happen), move Lee to 1B and pick up Catalanatto to cover left. That is one helluva OBP outfield

We do already have Maggs and Jose's money from this year spent on others as SS2k pointed out for Contreras, Garcia, and Everett...but we also have Koch's, Scho's, and Elo's contracts coming off the hooks too...that's about another $12 mill right there.

However...off the top of my head...we already have roughly $61 mill committed to the team next year, and that's really only players who have a contract with the Sox.* Even if JR opens up the wallet to let our payroll be in the $70-75 range(or higher)...that may give us like $10-15 mill($20 mill at the very most) to spend on FA's.

* - the figures I used were this, and they could be wrong. Buehrle $5.5 mill, Contreras $6 mill, Garcia $8 mill, Garland $3 mill, Shingo $2.5 mill, Marte $1.5 mill, Adkins and Cotts a combined $1 mill, Konerko $8.5 mill, Lee $9 mill, Rowand $1 mill, Everett $4 mill, Thomas $8 mill, and Gload, Burke, Uribe, Harris, and Crede a combined $3 mill.

Some are just estimates, and some won't be with the team next year...but those are the ones I figure will be with the team next year, with the biggest potential exceptions being Crede and Garland.

If A Rowand keeps this up i don't think we have to look to far

As much as I like Rowand, I wouldn't compare his offensive talents with Maggs.

Rowand's defense is better, although Maggs is underrated defensively IMO.

I'll miss Maggs, for sure. It's a real shame that it had to end like this.

Hmm, just got home from school (Didn't see this posted, so...).  And I'm hearing on AM 1000 and seeing in different places that Bruce Levine has stated the Sox won't make an offer to Maggs.

If the knee is truely this seriously injured, then I have no problem with letting Maggs walk.  Get our comp picks, and let him walk - we shouldn't be paying a guy even eight million if we're uncertain of his health.  That money can be better spent elsewhere.

So, I guess Magglio has played his last game in a White Sox uniform.  Great career, here, Maggs, unfortunate that it had to end this way.  Best of luck to wherever you go.  :cheers  :headbang

They aren't going to get any comp picks. I just don't see the Sox offering him arbitration cause then they are going to have to hope he doesn't accept cause they'll be on the tab for 14 mill, less 20%, which is the maximum decrease allowed under arbitration if I recall.

He asked for more $$$$$. That's the death bell for anyone on the Southside.

He didn't really ask for more money, he asked for a ridiculous amount of money that he didn't deserve. I would of been pissed if he asked for a fair contract adn the Sox turned it down, but their was nothing fair about giving Maggs a contract the same, if not higher then Vladdy's and thats what he has wanted.

He'll obvious get less now, but if he's knee is as messed up as some have speculated (in the media) then you shouldn't risk a long term deal on him.

Spend it on pitching, pitching and more pitching. Oh ya, get a top of the order threat and a left handed bat for the middle of the lineup.

Guys we have spent the Maggs money already.

Contreras $6 million

Garcia $9 million

Everett $4 million

That is $19 million for next year that wasn't on the books at the beginning of the year.

Well, take off Koch and Jose's contract as well, which gives you a little money under. Some people have said the Sox will have roughly 15 mill to spend in FA. I don't know if thats true or not, but their payroll will be about 70-80 mill next year, imo.

Remember Koch's contract and what not come off the book, so they will have money to spend.

To you guys who were talking about possible draft picks for Maggs.................. we have to offer him 80% of whatever he made in 2004, which will amount to $11.2 MM give or take. The risk is that he will take it. If he refuses, then we get one or two picks. So I think Levine is dead wrong. We will make the offer and see what happens after that. I'm sure JR would take a chance on him for one year at $11.2MM.

He didn't really ask for more money, he asked for a ridiculous amount of money that he didn't deserve.  I would of been pissed if he asked for a fair contract adn the Sox turned it down, but their was nothing fair about giving Maggs a contract the same, if not higher then Vladdy's and thats what he has wanted.

He'll obvious get less now, but if he's knee is as messed up as some have speculated (in the media) then you shouldn't risk a long term deal on him.

Spend it on pitching, pitching and more pitching.  Oh ya, get a top of the order threat and a left handed bat for the middle of the lineup.

I think a key to next season will be that we'll really need to solidify our bullpen. A strong bullpen is the key in the playoffs, probably even moreso than having five quality starters. We have four quality starters. Sign Matt Clement or Odalis Perez, who are probably a notch below Pedro/Pavano (I'm not very fond of having 30+ million invested in our pitching staff, just because of the chance of injury.) Then, pick up two very good relievers to go with Marte-Shingo. Then, I'm confident Bajerneau, Cotts, and Adkins/Grilli/Diaz can be solid pitchers out of the bullpen...

Then, like others have mentioned, we can trade one of Konerko/Lee for a contact/OBP guy, JD Drew would be ideal.

I'm dreaming, but this would be awesome. Trading for one of Damon, sign JD Drew - and have an outfield of Drew-Damon-Rowand. Trade for Jerry Hairston, platoon him at second with Harris. Let Uribe play short, Konerko stays at first with a grinder at third, like Koskie. Trade Lee for a good package of players, sort of what the Cards did with Drew last season.

I'll take a lineup of:

CF Damon

RF Rowand

DH Thomas

LF Drew

1B Konerko

3B Koskie

C Davis/Burke

SS Uribe

2B Hairston/Harris

Everett would be a hell of a bat off the bench, with Gload, Perez, etc.

Probably a bit of dreaming on my part, but that could be accomplished - couldn't it? Thoughts?

It's starting to be a blessing in disguise that he turned down our $17 a year offer earlier this season. From what I'm aware of, and I actually have a reliable source for once, that his career is seriously in jeopardy and won't be offered more than $2 mil on the market this winter.

2 million, find that extremely hard to believe. ;)

2 million, find that extremely hard to believe.  ;)

That's what I thought, but my source has every day connection with major league players and ballclubs. I wouldn't doubt him too much. Suposedly there is some bleeding behind his knee cap that could end his career or put it in doubt...Take if FWIW.

He'll still get two mill, and the Sox never offered him 17 mill a year.  That may of been what he asked for (which is higher then I ever heard of him asking for) but no way did the Sox offer him that and no way would he of turned it down.

Well maybe this guy was a BSer then. He does sell certain equipment to Magglio, Frank, and many other pro ballplayers so I didn't know if I should believe it or not.

For the record, if it goes to arbitration, there won't be any health or incrntive clauses.  It will be for a flat amount for 1 year.

That's why there's no way we offer him arbitration. It's too bad missing out on the 2 draft picks though, that could help us restock our farm system even more.

That's why there's no way we offer him arbitration. It's too bad missing out on the 2 draft picks though, that could help us restock our farm system even more.

that is if he has a messed up knee, anyway the ins that mlb owners has, will cover for the lost money.