Sox Not Going to Make Offer to Maggs

CWSGuy406

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In retrospect, Maggs' 2001 contract with the White Sox was really out of whack in that it had a final-year salary of $14 million. It was a recipe for disaster inasmuch as the Sox wouldn't be able to offer him less than $11.2 million to keep him.

But, in 2001, with Manny and A-Rod having just signed MONSTER contracts, it's hard to say that the Sox management wasn't right in thinking that the market for quality outfielders might be $17-$18 million in 2004. That everything has cooled down is good for MLB - but it means that there may be a lot of players who signed deals in 2000/2001 who will simply get non-tendered and go to the market because their teams can't afford to offer them the minimum 80%.

If it were me, I'd offer Maggs the $11.2 million for one year and ask him to buy the insurance on his knee. Then have a club option (or options) for another year at $12-$13 million in which the Sox would pick up the insurance. That may or may not work in the context of the CBA, but a creative solution is probably warranted.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Maggs will be back, but neither would I be surprised if something changed, something gave, and he did come back. But I'd still rather have Brad Radke (and the fences 10 ft further out) next year than Maggs.

To tell you the truth, I don't think Maggs will be back, but neither would I be surprised if something changed, something gave, and he did come back.  But I'd still rather have Brad Radke (and the fences 10 ft further out) next year than Maggs.

This on Radke too,

There was a time early this season when there was little chance the Twins would re-sign pitcher Brad Radke, who is earning $10.75 million this year with a no-trade clause.

Radke becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season and, because he has pitched so well, there will be a market for him. The righthander was magnificent against the Rangers on Thursday night, giving up five hits and striking out nine in eight innings during a 2-0 victory. Of his 112 pitches, 82 were strikes.

Maybe he will not be able to get his 2004 salary, but there is a pitching shortage in the major leagues and there are not many Radke types available.

The Twins have their own pitching shortage, with only one other bona fide starter besides Radke in Johan Santana. Kyle Lohse has been up and down, and Carlos Silva, while having a winning record, has opponents hitting more than .300 against him.

The Twins can't count on 41-year-old Terry Mulholland being a starter next year.

Radke's preference is to remain a Twin. He owns a home here, and his family likes the area.

So Radke is going to be in a good bargaining position for another lucrative multiyear contract.

the question with radke is whether or not he is a good pitcher, it is whether or not minny is going to offer him arbitration. with minny past history this might not happen.

If he has a good post - season, I doubt the Twinkies will be able to afford him and some team with big pockets in desperate need of pitching such as the Mets will offer him a big deal.

If he has a good post - season, I doubt the Twinkies will be able to afford him and some team with big pockets in desperate need of pitching such as the Mets will offer him a big deal.

i am still trying to figure a way where we don't give up our picks to obtain a fa.

thing is, most everyone here should remember i love our picks, but i am willing to give up these picks to win a championship.

I’m not going to say “Hell Yeah” to this kind of news because Magglio has been great since he came to the Majors. A very good player that will be missed. Hopefully we can get some good pitching for the money that won’t be given to Maggs.

Like I've said earlier, I don't want Maggs to leave and I'll be sorry to see him go, but he turned down a very generous amont of money this year and then he gets injured.

its kinda of ironic about mags turning down the contract and off he goes and gets hurt.

the whole idea of players not wanting to be a fa is for this situation. injury where it will affect a bigger contract.

but in all honesty what the sox offered was a great contract and yeah i don't know for a fact if it was or not, basing on mags wish. tell me if he is worth vlad's money.

on the flip side, you can't assume he didn't, right.

I think it's safer to assume Yoss is correct.

FWIW, the story I heard was that the 5th year was heavily incentive driven. I can't disagree with this though. 4 years of guaranteed $$ (which the Sox initially agreed on only 3 years and "gave in" to a 5th year making the 4th year guaranteed). I think that's pretty damn good for a player of Magg's calibur.

the team would be better with maggs gone, valentin gone, joe crede gone, carl gone, and some fa's in their place. Need a decent lead off man, and Beltre playing my third base, I would rather have him at third than maggs in right. Cause you know that teams like the yankees have no place for him

JR always talks about how winning with the Bulls was great, he would love to win the World Series. So, now is the time to show it. If no Maggs, no Valentin, more people in the stands and whatever is left of the US Cellular money and use that it to find the correct pieces to build a winner. I hate to see Maggs go, but I'll reserve judgement until I see who comes in with the $19 plus he'll be saving on those two contracts alone. C'mon JR...it's time.

According to ESPN.com the YTD attendance is 1,659,270 in 66 dates with an average of 25,140 per game.  So, if they continue to average that for the last 15 home games...the total will be:  2,036,370. 

Not bad...but could be better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Sorry guys, that's not going to happen. They'll average about 15K the rest of the way. Nobody wants to go anymore.