Judge Orders Release of Hundreds of RNC Protesters

LowerCaseRepublican

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0902-08.htm

A Manhattan judge on Thursday ordered the immediate release of nearly 500 anti-GOP protesters, including some who had spent almost three days in jail after their arrests at demonstrations against President Bush.

There were also stories on, I believe it was the New York Daily News (can't remember for sure...trying to find the story again) that said that there were a lot of mass roundups of people, including random tourists and that even reporters were rounded up and arrested (and jabbed with bicycles with cops riding them) and the reporters had video of cops driving their scooters into crowds...nearly running over people and hitting them etc. (with no room to get out of the way and the cops did not even specify that they needed to get through)

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0902-08.htm

There were also stories on, I believe it was the New York Daily News (can't remember for sure...trying to find the story again) that said that there were a lot of mass roundups of people, including random tourists and that even reporters were rounded up and arrested (and jabbed with bicycles with cops riding them) and the reporters had video of cops driving their scooters into crowds...nearly running over people and hitting them etc. (with no room to get out of the way and the cops did not even specify that they needed to get through)

I think you need to lay off the caffeine or something. How do you expect to marry or date a girl (or boy, if you're into that). I'm totally not being an ass when I say that. Not everything in life needs to be looked at so cynically. Cops are on edge this week, and they have good reason. I'd rather see a few people "rounded" up than a few thousand dead.

You don't know what kind of security threats are going on or where those cops need to go. (I can't believe I'm defending them)

I will agree with you that protesters should not be kept longer than they need to be, and I've heard estimates of 36 or so hours. I'm glad to hear a judge is maintaing rights for those people. (although they weren't arrested because they were just marching down the street protesting...otherwise you'd have 100k or so in jail.

So I ask you apu, learn to trust a little.

No offense, but what does this have to do with Apu and a girl. Talking with Apu on AIM often, I'll verify he is a cool, funny guy. I may differ with him on politics, but I got the upmost respect for him. He does his research, has his opinion, and does a good job getting that opinion across.

No offense, but what does this have to do with Apu and a girl.  Talking with Apu on AIM often, I'll verify he is a cool, funny guy.  I may differ with him on politics, but I got the upmost respect for him.  He does his research, has his opinion, and does a good job getting that opinion across.

pm, jas

no apu doesn't trust the condom companies or birth control producers and therefore cannot get laid :lol:

haha. nice.

I wasn't saying anything about his ability to get chicks. I was just saying he's got alot of angst and cynicism... I'm just looking out for the brotha.

chill winston.

I think you need to lay off the caffeine or something. How do you expect to marry or date a girl (or boy, if you're into that). I'm totally not being an ass when I say that. Not everything in life needs to be looked at so cynically. Cops are on edge this week, and they have good reason. I'd rather see a few people "rounded" up than a few thousand dead.

You don't know what kind of security threats are going on or where those cops need to go. (I can't believe I'm defending them)

I will agree with you that protesters should not be kept longer than they need to be, and I've heard estimates of 36 or so hours. I'm glad to hear a judge is maintaing rights for those people. (although they weren't arrested because they were just marching down the street protesting...otherwise you'd have 100k or so in jail.

So I ask you apu, learn to trust a little.

Be cause they are on edge gives them free reign to deny civil liberties? Mass arrests without provocation is completely authoritarian and as a judge so aptly put it "odious to democracy". There were testimonials of tourists coming out of the subway that got rounded up, people who didn't know why they were getting arrested (non-protesters who just happened to be in wrong place at wrong time) along with other protesters who were detained without charge.

Be cause they are on edge gives them free reign to deny civil liberties?  Mass arrests without provocation is completely authoritarian and as a judge so aptly put it "odious to democracy".  There were testimonials of tourists coming out of the subway that got rounded up, people who didn't know why they were getting arrested (non-protesters who just happened to be in wrong place at wrong time) along with other protesters who were detained without charge.

I trust you apu about most of that. I'm just saying there were some people who deserved a little lock down, in the light of the irresponsible behavior. 1800 people don't get arrested for doing nothing.

but I think if a judge has to act in order to get them out...you're probably right on some of that. I'm just trying to find middle ground... can you work with me?

I was just listening to Alex Jones. One of his video cameras was confiscated and busted by the cops when he was just videotaping an event that had a permit and he was standing in a designated area. He talked a lot about cops using orange nets to round big groups of people up and detain them and bring them to a detainment camp that used to be an old bus station.

That with the free speech zones that have been going down at a lot of protests (happened at the DNC as well as the FTAA protests in Miami). It's getting more and more like a police state and the cops are getting a lot more brutal about things, especially in Miami when there was little to no Black Bloc presence there at all.

I just question police backlash at protests after the events at the G8 in Genoa. Carlo Guiliani, one of the leaders of the Italian anti-globalization movement, was killed along with other unarmed protesters after the police noticed a riot starting due to the "anarchist", no wait scratch that "dumbass" group the Black Bloc. However, video and other evidence shows that the people who really started the riot were not Black Bloc members but rather Italian police leaving squad cars dressed up as the Black Bloc in order to start a riot, discredit the protesters and allow for the cops to shut down the protest in the name of defense.

Be cause they are on edge gives them free reign to deny civil liberties?  Mass arrests without provocation is completely authoritarian and as a judge so aptly put it "odious to democracy".  There were testimonials of tourists coming out of the subway that got rounded up, people who didn't know why they were getting arrested (non-protesters who just happened to be in wrong place at wrong time) along with other protesters who were detained without charge.

Somehow I think your "tourists" weren't as innocent as they claim to have been. You're protestors who are supposed to be all about peace yet they caused a s***load of trouble for the NYPD who already had terrorist plots to worry about, they beat a cop up and put him in the hospital, tied up traffic, interfered with RNC sponsored events and generally made pests of themselves. If you want to demonstratge against the Bush Administration that's fine but do it in a way that wont cause problems for everyone else.

Somehow I think your "tourists" weren't as innocent as they claim to have been.  You're protestors who are supposed to be all about peace yet they caused a s***load of trouble for the NYPD who already had terrorist plots to worry about, they beat a cop up and put him in the hospital,  tied up traffic, interfered with RNC sponsored events and generally made pests of themselves.  If you want to demonstratge against the Bush Administration that's fine but do it in a way that wont cause problems for everyone else.

Don't forget those "harmless" protestors that assaulted the Illinois reps with water and were trying to goad them into an altercation with taunts of...... "Come on"...... "Do something about it"..... which was caught by the cameras of the National Media.

Don't forget those "harmless" protestors that assaulted the Illinois reps with water and were trying to goad them into an altercation with taunts of...... "Come on"...... "Do something about it"..... which was caught by the cameras of the National Media.

And the quick clips of the wakkos trying to storm the stage on at least two different occasions during Bush's speech.

Somehow I think your "tourists" weren't as innocent as they claim to have been.  You're protestors who are supposed to be all about peace yet they caused a s***load of trouble for the NYPD who already had terrorist plots to worry about, they beat a cop up and put him in the hospital,  tied up traffic, interfered with RNC sponsored events and generally made pests of themselves.  If you want to demonstratge against the Bush Administration that's fine but do it in a way that wont cause problems for everyone else.

If a judge releases hundreds of protesters finding merit with the idea that they were really not protesters and just caught in the giant orange nets that the NYPD were using to round up people, then there is a lot of credence to the idea that some innocent people got arrested and detained.

Nuke, I highly doubt that all 250,000+ people beat up that one cop. And hey, the NYPD version of events may not be exactly what happen. I'm not saying that the dumbasses didn't beat him up but I don't accept the police version as Gospel, especially a force who has been hit with previous lies in the past re: Amadou Diallo and the sodomizing of a detainee with a plunger handle.

And CK, don't put what a few dumbasses do on the entire protest. I'd guess it was Black Bloc dumbasses from what you've stated on it and the Black Bloc is widely dispised by most anti-globalist protesters and organizations.