Carl Pavano

LDF

The Sox probably won't sign any big name FA's with a shaky history [injury or inconsistent production], pitchers or position players. Though they may take a gamble on a guy making less than $5 mill a yr, for no more than 2 yrs with an option yr. It doesn't make sense to take on huge contracts for questionable players who pose an injury risk or could tank.

A few guys who could be worth a large multi-yr contract-Odalis Perez, Matt Clement, Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera [$6 mill tops]

Wouldn't Clement also fit under the, shaky history category? He's only had 1 "ok" season and not to mention 2 years older than Pavano. I'm not trying to say Pavano is the answer either, but I do think that there's more options, which hopefully will turn out to be Perez.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pavano is 28 years old and just now becoming the pitcher Montreal thought he'd become when the got him in the Pedro deal.  So, several here want to sign this guy to a multimillion dollar multiyear contract. 

Yet, so many want to give up on Jon Garland.  I don't get it, folks. :huh

you got a very good point on the age. based on that, do you think we can afford let alone go thru another medicore yr of watching garland???

Todd Ritchie had a few good years before we got him too  :bringit

describe what a good yr was and how that translate in giving up potential. if we are going to break this trade down please explain to me the royce clayton trade and the botch trade for starters.

describe what a good yr was and how that translate in giving up potential. if we are going to break this trade down please explain to me the royce clayton trade and the botch trade for starters.

I said that because i dont really want Pavano, just because pavano is good now doesnt mean he will be good for us, and to tell you the truth I have no idea what todds stats were before he came here, so i dont even know if what i said is true at all :lol:

I said that because i dont really want Pavano, just because pavano is good now doesnt mean he will be good for us, and to tell you the truth I have no idea what todds stats were before he came here, so i dont even know if what i said is true at all :lol:

to be honest with you and if you look at where i stand, i don't really want pavano here as well. but i was really trying to look at others point of view to see if was justified in my belief.

i want pedro and/or perez in that order for pitching, then radke and followed by milton.

i should explain, what i meant for the sox to look at acquiring until one of them says yes.

i want pedro and/or perez in that order for pitching, then radke and followed by milton.

i should explain, what i meant for the sox to look at acquiring until one of them says yes.

Radke is the same as pavano basically except older and milton flat out sucks.

Radke is the same as pavano basically except older and milton flat out sucks.

milton has always had great stuff and always put up real good numbers.

the one number that still bothers me is the hr allowed, other than that. they are great numbers.,

I thought you meant as the same stuff, not their career stats.

Nope, sorry about the confusion.

My thing is radke will get around 8 million a year, pavano ten. Not a huge fan of pavano but if i have to choice i will go with the pavano because he is younger and more capable of putting together 2,3,4 excellent seasons in a row. I view radke as an inning eater more than anything. If pavano comes to the a.l. expect his era to go up at least a half run over the course of a season.

radke,

10 - 7 with a 3.59 ers his innings pitch so far is 190+ his walks allow is 19.

he has had one season with a era more that 4.50 and that was the yr he was hurt. if i remember right he was injured the yr before. either way he has always pitched in the 190 + innings and walks allow in the 25 or less .

look at the whip and his historical stat of that. brad is a very good pitcher.

radke,

10 - 7 with a 3.59 ers his innings pitch so far is 190+ his walks allow is 19.

he has had one season with a era more that 4.50 and that was the yr he was hurt. if i remember right he was injured the yr before. either way he has always pitched in the 190 + innings and walks allow in the 25 or less .

look at the whip and his historical stat of that. brad is a very good pitcher.

He has had two seasons with an era above 4.50. ;) He was mighty close last year with an era of 4.49. He is not the type of pitcher i would like the sox to go after. Would like them to make a serious run at a lefty. I would not be mad if they got him just not jumping up and down.

He has had two seasons with an era above 4.50. ;) He was mighty close last year with an era of 4.49. He is not the type of pitcher i would like the sox to go after. Would like them to make a serious run at a lefty. I would not be mad if they got him just not jumping up and down.

if you are looking for a lefty, why not milton? :lol:

you got a very good point on the age. based on that, do you think we can afford let alone go thru another medicore yr of watching garland???

In a word, yes. When you really stop and look at what Garland has done compared to other #3 and #4 starters around the league, he's right there with them stat-wise. Some of these guys are up and coming, like Garland. Some are peaking now and will never get any better and some of the older guys are on there way down. With the plan in place to acquire another front line starting pitcher, that gives Garland and the Sox an even bigger window of opportunity for him to find his groove. He can sit as a #5 for two years and continue to learn how to be a quality starter. Hopefully, somewhere in that window of opportunity it will all come together for him.

Wouldn't Clement also fit under the, shaky history category? He's only had 1 "ok" season and not to mention 2 years older than Pavano. I'm not trying to say Pavano is the answer either, but I do think that there's more options, which hopefully will turn out to be Perez.

I say Clement's worthy of getting a long term contract [3 yrs] [esp from the Sox] based on his being healthy [this should be the 6th yr in a row of at least 30 starts], 3 good yrs in a row of stellar WHIP numbers, and being the type of pitcher the Sox could use in their rotation [someone who gets a lot of GB's and K's, and doesn't give up a lot of HR's].

Perez and Clement would be my first two choices for SP's.

In a word, yes.  When you really stop and look at what Garland has done compared to other #3 and #4 starters around the league, he's right there with them stat-wise.  Some of these guys are up and coming, like Garland.  Some are peaking now and will never get any better and some of the older guys are on there way down.  With the plan in place to acquire another front line starting pitcher, that gives Garland and the Sox an even bigger window of opportunity for him to find his groove.  He can sit as a #5 for two years and continue to learn how to be a quality starter.  Hopefully, somewhere in that window of opportunity it will all come together for him.

You've got a good point. while the sox may be "overpaying" for a typical 5th starter [Garland should make near $3 mill in Arb., and most teams use a rookie or a veteran innings eater who are both cheaper], Garland possibly fullfilling his potential [ :angry: i hate that word] is worth another year at the price. The Sox rotation could be one of the best in the AL if they get another #2 or 3, and Garland and Contreras throw the way they could.

I'm as frustrated as anyone w/ Garland. Yet I dont think the sox could get a decent return on a trade involving him. Its all a matter of risk vs reward. The reward in holding onto Garland is better than the risk in getting rid of him

In a word, yes.  When you really stop and look at what Garland has done compared to other #3 and #4 starters around the league, he's right there with them stat-wise.  Some of these guys are up and coming, like Garland.  Some are peaking now and will never get any better and some of the older guys are on there way down.  With the plan in place to acquire another front line starting pitcher, that gives Garland and the Sox an even bigger window of opportunity for him to find his groove.  He can sit as a #5 for two years and continue to learn how to be a quality starter.  Hopefully, somewhere in that window of opportunity it will all come together for him.

again another great thought, in my post i was playing a "devil advocate" approach.

i still think that the sox will not give up on garland yet. i am looking at a #5 pitcher and continue to have faith in him.

btw, how much does he make??? When is his contract up???

these 2 question, in my mind will dictate whether he will stay here or not.

again another great thought, in my post i was playing a "devil advocate" approach.

i still think that the sox will not give up on garland yet. i am looking at a #5 pitcher and continue to have faith in him.

btw, how much does he make??? When is his contract up???

these 2 question, in my mind will dictate whether he will stay here or not.

This year he's making $2,400,000 I believe. He'll definitely get a raise on that for next season, anywhere between $3 million and $4 million I think.