Blue Velvet

BobDylan

Before some film buff comes in here and attacks me, I consider myself to have a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to film. I've seen many films, I can tell you where the inspiration comes from, and I can tell you almost anything you want to hear after watching a film. That being said, as Roger Ebert did in his Chicago Sun-Times review after he bashed the hell out of Blue Velvet, this movie sucked.

Why do critics sniff David Lynch's brown hole time and time again because he has a way with symbolism? Why, if people don't understand what in the hell he is saying, do they consider it genius? Eraserhead, MANY critics fess up to knowing very little about what Lynch is trying to say, and go as far to say as perhaps he's the only one that knows. And despite this, they rave about it. That is plain stupid if you ask me.

Blue Velvet had brilliance in parts of it. No doubt. Near the beginning when we learn that Valence is an SM you can't help but drool at the potential the movie throws at you. Then we are taken into the story of some jackass kid who likes mysteries. Who the hell cares? Take us back into the life of that woman. She was the story, and Dennis Hopper should have only been used to develop her. Hopper should not have been THE STORY.

I'm done ranting. Screw David Lynch.

I've never seen his stuff but I've heard a ton of bad things about Mulholland Drive. Everyone says that they pay close attention to everything, thinking it will help understand the movie but in the end it doesn't and the whole thing doesn't make sense at all.

I've never seen his stuff but I've heard a ton of bad things about Mulholland Drive.  Everyone says that they pay close attention to everything, thinking it will help understand the movie but in the end it doesn't and the whole thing doesn't make sense at all.

I won't comment on Mullholland Drive because I turned it off before it finished, (if that is any indication of what I thought about it) but I was told the ending holds the key to why the actors acted so cheesy.

Symbolism can be powerful, but if that's the only thing your film or story has then you're a terrible filmmaker/writer. For instance, take a look at Kubrick. His movies contain the same amount of symbolism as a David Lynch film, but he also manages to throw in some gripping writing and storytelling, and on top of that, you don't fully need to understand what Kubrick is trying to get at to enjoy his films.

I know plenty of people that LOVE Full Metal Jacket but don't have the slightest clue about the inner meanings Kubrick was getting it. With Lynch, it's either you get it after 500 viewings or the movie was trash.

From all of the Lynch movies I've seen, I haven't seen a scene in which he sustained a 10 minutes where in a character didn't say something completely stupid and cheesy. The story is where a film is made, not the symbolism.

I won't comment on Mullholland Drive because I turned it off before it finished, (if that is any indication of what I thought about it) but I was told the ending holds the key to why the actors acted so cheesy.

Symbolism can be powerful, but if that's the only thing your film or story has then you're a terrible filmmaker/writer. For instance, take a look at Kubrick. His movies contain the same amount of symbolism as a David Lynch film, but he also manages to throw in some gripping writing and storytelling, and on top of that, you don't fully need to understand what Kubrick is trying to get at to enjoy his films.

I know plenty of people that LOVE Full Metal Jacket but don't have the slightest clue about the inner meanings Kubrick was getting it. With Lynch, it's either you get it after 500 viewings or the movie was trash.

From all of the Lynch movies I've seen, I haven't seen a scene in which he sustained a 10 minutes where in a character didn't say something completely stupid and cheesy. The story is where a film is made, not the symbolism.

About Mulholland Drive ***Possible Spoiler***

I saw the movie and was lead to believe that the majority of the movie was a dream and the end was reality for the people. I could try to explain but it would take too long. About the only part I really enjoyed in the movie was the part where the two girls made out :lolhitting

Anyways, I am not a huge Lynch fan. He is trying too hard to be brilliant and is not getting across the points he wants to convey. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Then you missed the Naomi Watts lesbian scene.

Mulholland Drive was good, up until the last 30 minutes or so, then it lost me.

I'd get blasted by Robert Altman fans if I typed something about how I hated Nashville and most of his other movies. Except "The Player". That is a top notch movie.

Movies are like music, sports, etc. Everyone has their own opinion and likes. That is what makes movies great.