Kerry Volunteered for Dangerous Swift Boats?!

Texsox

Intersting reading. Looking at the time line from when Kerry volunteered for swift boats and what they were doing at the time makes for interesting reading. Seems that at the time he volunteered they were patrolling the coast and it was among the safest jobs. It was after he volunteered that they were assigned to inland rivers and the s*** hit the fan.

The myth of Kerry knowingly volunteering for dangerous duty lives on (8/24)

By Brendan Nyhan

The myth that Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry volunteered for swift boat duty in Vietnam knowing it was particularly dangerous continues to spread despite clear evidence to the contrary.

As we have written before, Kerry actually volunteered at a time when swift boats were engaged in relatively safe coastal patrols. They were redeployed to the rivers of Vietnam -- a far more risky mission -- after Kerry's decision. Kerry himself has admitted as much, writing in 1986 that "When I signed up for the swift boats, they had very little to do with the war. They were engaged in coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going to be doing."

About half way down the page.