Report: Paul out of options

Guest wsc425

Guest hotsoxchick1
SF, you are absolutely right.  Only because I have no life, shall I provide this list.  Of course, all of you have probably already checked out all these names on MLB.com so this is not necessary, but I feel the need to print what you have already read.

The following catchers all with Major League experience are in Spring Training with a club but are not on the 40-man roster of that club.  Most of these guys will end up in AAA.  This is not a complete list....  I merely tried to pick out the most reconizable names. 

Steve Lomasney

Izzy Molina

AJ Hinch

Tim Laker

Bill Haselman

Matt Walbeck

Mike DiFilece

John Flaherty

Adam Melhuse

Pat Borders

Jorge Fabregas

Chad Krueter

Raul Casanova

Chris Tremie

Eddie Perez

Tony Eusebio

Randy Knorr

Marcus Jensen

Kevin Brown (not the pitcher)

This does not include situations like the Sox have where they have 3 catchers on their 40-man roster competing for 2 spots. 

You can debate who on this list is better than JP or is not better all you want, but that is quite a list of catchers with Big League experience. 

All of this and 50 cents will buy you a soda, but it does also give you an indication that veteran "backup" type catchers are a dime a dozen.

wow thats quite a list.. you really must have no life...... :D .....lol.......

Guest hotsoxchick1
If we waived Josh Paul, I bet the Cubbies would pick him up.

i tend to think they need something else now.. alfonseca just went down yesterday slipping on wet grass and possibly tore a hammy....hes in mri today to determine the outcome... they say he will be out indefinately..........dont think they need josh right now....wood is also out with a bad ear infection and wont be starting opening day.......so much for this year on the north side huh............lol lol lol ........

I don't think we need Paul, at all...but I also think that it would be impossible to get a legitamite player in return for him.

Our catching situation is not good...I have always hated when catchers are platooned. Look at the catchers that were in the playoffs last year(Posada, Pierzynski, Molina, Hernandez, Santiago, Barajas, Matheny, and Lopez) All were everyday starters, except for Barajas who was subbing for the injured D. Miller. The last 2 years the sox have been splitting time between 3 catchers, none of whom have performed that well. In 2000 we went with Fordyce everyday until we got Johnson, then we used him everyday, and we made the playoffs. The sox need a guy like LoDuca...though I am not sure if the Dodgers are shopping him. I know the Braves are shopping Lopez, and if he doesn't have nagging injuries this year he should return to his old form...I would give the Dodgers: Paul, Olivo, Ginter for Lo Duca...maybe they would consider that

Guest hotsoxchick1
I miss Fordyce.

that makes 2 of us... boy he wasnt much but i sure would love having his attitude in the clubhouse right about now.............*sigh*............ :(

Guest hotsoxchick1
I miss Fordyce.

Too bad we couldn't keep Charles Johnson after trading Fordyce

oh hell f*** charles johnson and his agent bor-ass... he wanted way too much money for what he was worth.............. :headbang

I miss Fordyce.

that makes 2 of us... boy he wasnt much but i sure would love having his attitude in the clubhouse right about now.............*sigh*............ :(

Yeah I loved Brook's attitude - he was a great team guy and a very into the Sox when he was with us

SF, you are absolutely right.  Only because I have no life, shall I provide this list.  Of course, all of you have probably already checked out all these names on MLB.com so this is not necessary, but I feel the need to print what you have already read.

The following catchers all with Major League experience are in Spring Training with a club but are not on the 40-man roster of that club.  Most of these guys will end up in AAA.  This is not a complete list....  I merely tried to pick out the most reconizable names.  

Steve Lomasney

Izzy Molina

AJ Hinch

Tim Laker

Bill Haselman

Matt Walbeck

Mike DiFilece

John Flaherty

Adam Melhuse

Pat Borders

Jorge Fabregas

Chad Krueter

Raul Casanova

Chris Tremie

Eddie Perez

Tony Eusebio

Randy Knorr

Marcus Jensen

This does not include situations like the Sox have where they have 3 catchers on their 40-man roster competing for 2 spots.  

You can debate who on this list is better than JP or is not better all you want, but that is quite a list of catchers with Big League experience.  

All of this and 50 cents will buy you a soda, but it does also give you an indication that veteran "backup" type catchers are a dime a dozen.

Unfortunately, you are right on that one......

Got any suggestions?

Of course in the case of many of them, they have signed minor league deals so they won't be subject to waiver claims, like Paul will be.  Also, Paul is younger then most of them and for a poor team like San Diego, If I were the GM, I'd say why not take a chance.

Exactly right and exactly why Paul will never clear waivers.

Those who say JP has contributed nothing are speaking with hyperbole; JP has not broken out as a star player by any reckoning, but he has played many games as a solid player on the team. He hasn't made the big mistakes. He has just failed to develop as we thought he would - his upward curve suddenly flattened at the point that we thought he would break out with increased development.

cwsox, time to put your money where your mouth is........

What team would pick up JP? Who has a need for a catcher on their Major League roster?

And don't say San Diego, because they already have two backups as good as JP. He is NOT a starting catching in the big leagues. SD needs a starting catcher.

So let's hear scenarios of who would pick them up and why.

Guest hotsoxchick1
SF, you are absolutely right.  Only because I have no life, shall I provide this list.  Of course, all of you have probably already checked out all these names on MLB.com so this is not necessary, but I feel the need to print what you have already read.

The following catchers all with Major League experience are in Spring Training with a club but are not on the 40-man roster of that club.  Most of these guys will end up in AAA.  This is not a complete list....  I merely tried to pick out the most reconizable names.  

Steve Lomasney

Izzy Molina

AJ Hinch

Tim Laker

Bill Haselman

Matt Walbeck

Mike DiFilece

John Flaherty

Adam Melhuse

Pat Borders

Jorge Fabregas

Chad Krueter

Raul Casanova

Chris Tremie

Eddie Perez

Tony Eusebio

Randy Knorr

Marcus Jensen

Unfortunately, you are right on that one......

Got any suggestions?

you bet i got a few suggestions.. how long of a list do ya want??????? and does it have to be alphabetical or numerical order??????? :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
you bet i got a few suggestions.. how long of a list do ya want??????? and does it have to be alphabetical or numerical order??????? 

Just pick out the top 10 and make sure they are creative!

not only will they be creative but........im sure that there will be a few suggestions on that list youll enjoy alot............. ;) or at least they will get you out of your easy chair for a few hours........... :D

Of course in the case of many of them, they have signed minor league deals so they won't be subject to waiver claims, like Paul will be.  Also, Paul is younger then most of them and for a poor team like San Diego, If I were the GM, I'd say why not take a chance.

Exactly right and exactly why Paul will never clear waivers.

Those who say JP has contributed nothing are speaking with hyperbole; JP has not broken out as a star player by any reckoning, but he has played many games as a solid player on the team. He hasn't made the big mistakes. He has just failed to develop as we thought he would - his upward curve suddenly flattened at the point that we thought he would break out with increased development.

cwsox, time to put your money where your mouth is........

What team would pick up JP? Who has a need for a catcher on their Major League roster?

And don't say San Diego, because they already have two backups as good as JP. He is NOT a starting catching in the big leagues. SD needs a starting catcher.

So let's hear scenarios of who would pick them up and why.

Rex, I do think San Diego is a legit option. This team was dying last year with the lack of catchers. Having two backup catchers starting is nothing to be proud of. Especially considering that neither of them have ever proven they could handle the job. To be honest, Paul would probably be better then at least one of them, and what would it hurt to throw in a waiver claim and see what he can do. He's young, is quick for a catcher, and has hit decently at the major league level. He's no offensive wizard, neither is he a defensive one, but Why wouldn't San Diego take a risk, considering none of their current crop has shown that they are "starters" material.

Another possibility, although extremely doubtful could be the Dodgers. They have LoDuca but after that its Hundley and you never know. THe problem is to put in the claim I think they have to be on the 25 man roster and the Dodgers wouldn't have room for that.