What is our future in the middle east?

Countries we are currently fighting in:

Iraq- 993 American Deaths

Afghanistan- 132 American Deaths

Before I say anything else, I would like to say that Iran can inflict a hell of a lot more damage than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

My fear is an invasion of Iran and possibly syria that causes an uproar in the entire muslim world. Muslim hardliners rise up in Iraq and Afghanistan undoing the work done there while our troops face an Iranian army that is not weak and lacking leadership like the previous two.

The war in Iran requires total war tactics that kill many civilians and make life a living hell for the people of Iran. In the other muslim countries the protests and terror attacks cause turmoil. Citizens of those countries who were once grateful for being freed by the US are now disgusted with what the US is doing to their world.

As we lose support from the average citizen, we also lose support from the open minded muslims of power who tend to side with us, like the ayatollah. Now when thugs like Al-Sadr take over cities the open minded muslims are not there for us to talk these thugs off the ledge.

Though ultimately we would probably regain control of the region the losses would be extensive, and it would not be a pleasant road.

Anyone have opinions on what the future maybe if we were to carry the war across the border?

Countries we are currently fighting in:

Iraq- 993 American Deaths

Afghanistan- 132 American Deaths

Before I say anything else, I would like to say that Iran can inflict a hell of a lot more damage than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

My fear is an invasion of Iran and possibly syria that causes an uproar in the entire muslim world.  Muslim hardliners rise up in Iraq and Afghanistan undoing the work done there while our troops face an Iranian army that is not weak and lacking leadership like the previous two.

The war in Iran requires total war tactics that kill many civilians and make life a living hell for the people of Iran.  In the other muslim countries the protests and terror attacks cause turmoil.  Citizens of those countries who were once grateful for being freed by the US are now disgusted with what the US is doing to their world.

As we lose support from the average citizen, we also lose support from the open minded muslims of power who tend to side with us, like the ayatollah.  Now when thugs like Al-Sadr take over cities the open minded muslims are not there for us to talk these thugs off the ledge.

Though ultimately we would probably regain control of the region the losses would be extensive, and it would not be a pleasant road.

Anyone have opinions on what the future maybe if we were to carry the war across the border?

Unfortunately, I think you are 100% correct.

If Bush is re-elected, there WILL be at least 4 more years of war, and tons of casualties.

IMO Bush's wars are a great way to detract attention away from the fact that he is the worst president we have ever had. The more the American public focuses on the "War on Terror", the less attention is paid to the weakening economy, joblessness, lack of health care, tax cuts for the wealthy, the environment, etc., not to mention Enron, Halliburton, etc.

Also, if GWB is elected, he'll most likely try to re-enact the draft, so that more middle and lower class kids will have to go to war, and Bush's rich pals won't have to worry about their kids going to war.

In my economics lecture yesterday, (I have an American Lecturer by the way), he said it's been a very bad week. The crisis in Russia etc. but he said the worst part was seeing the Republican Convention and knowing the GWB would prob be around for 4 more years. I thought that was pretty funny. :lol:

Don't forget that if Kerry is elected, not much will change, except he will add government jobs to make it look like there are more jobs available.

But if we elect Kerry then terrorism is going to go away overnight and......and......we can be friends with france again. and ......and...... oh who the hell is anybody kidding?

Attacking Iran or Syria or North Korea isn't in the cards as of yet. It's a totally different situation than Iraq is/was. Diplomatic talks have not been exhausted, as they were in Iraq. Remember, this attack did not just come out of the blue. There were a dozen years of sanctions against Saddaam and Iraq. A dozen years of Saddaam defying those sanctions. A dozen years of our's and the UN's planes being shot at.

People continually act like we went over and attacked a peaceful person and nation out of nowhere. That is not the truth.