A Labor day Miracle

southsider2k5

It may be a fluke. Yet young guys need some playing time to adjust to the majors. The Sox haven't had the chance to get guys from the minors some "on the job training" the last few years.

Guys like Grilli and Diaz could at least work out of the bullpen if they don't make it as starters. though Grilli needs to throw more strikes.

BTW, i think both could be 5th possibilities, unlike terrible arnie, and overrated Rauch, and the worst starter of all time Danny Wright. I think Grilli has a pretty nasty hook, and his fastball has some pop. As fell Felix has some good stuff, and some nice out pitches. I think they could come around :fthecubs

BTW, i think both could be 5th possibilities, unlike terrible arnie, and overrated Rauch, and the worst starter of all time Danny Wright.  I think Grilli has a pretty nasty hook, and his fastball has some pop.  As fell Felix has some good stuff, and some nice out pitches.  I think they could come around :fthecubs

Saying Felix has good stuff is an understatement if I ever heard one.

Felix has the best control maybe of anyone on our pitching staff. That includes the Top 4. Felix's problem is that he needs to figure out how to use that control and figure out how to outthink the hitters. The kid might never be an ace but he will definately be a 12-14 game winner some day.

Grilli has impressed me. He's alot like Jon Garland, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Saying Felix has good stuff is an understatement if I ever heard one.

Felix has the best control maybe of anyone on our pitching staff. That includes the Top 4. Felix's problem is that he needs to figure out how to use that control and figure out how to outthink the hitters. The kid might never be an ace but he will definately be a 12-14 game winner some day.

Grilli has impressed me. He's alot like Jon Garland, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Felix Diaz has better control than Mark Buehrle? Are you serious? If he is meaning to hang half the pitches that he has, then Diaz has serious proplems.

I think Diaz and Grilli can fill important roles on future Sox teams. They were asked out of necessity/desperation to fill roles that maybe they're not ready for or capable of.

That said, they both have had their moments, although not enough of them to keep the Sox in the race.

I think Grilli will be a long reliever/6th or 7th inning guy, and Diaz can maybe be a 5th starter or spot starter. They have potential, they just got rushed a bit this year.

the worst starter of all time Danny Wright.

I can think of worse...Pat Hentgen this year, Esteban Loaiza of year's past, and IIRC, Kenny Rogers has had some pretty rough years too.

And that was only the Dan Wright who had about nothing for a right elbow and shoulder. In 2006(or perhaps even mid-to-late 2005) Wright could be back and pitching with good stuff. I remember seeing him pitch in 2002, and he had nasty stuff...he just couldn't figure out how to use it.

I can think of worse...Pat Hentgen this year, Esteban Loaiza of year's past, and IIRC, Kenny Rogers has had some pretty rough years too. 

And that was only the Dan Wright who had about nothing for a right elbow and shoulder.  In 2006(or perhaps even mid-to-late 2005) Wright could be back and pitching with good stuff.  I remember seeing him pitch in 2002, and he had nasty stuff...he just couldn't figure out how to use it.

I agree. Danny Wright was the best pitcher not named Buerhle on that 2002 team. Now that the Sox know that he needed TJS, maybe he can comeback and regain that form.

BTW, I definitely think Munoz can still get it together. That hook he has is awesome. Grilli battled yesterday, and as long as he doesn't go through the Garland syndrome (The Big Inning), he might make a serviceable 5th starter. Though I would prefer him more in the Sean Lowe, long reliever/spot starter type of role. Diaz had a nice performance on Sunday, but I agree with Ozzie's decision to put him in the 'pen. The more he works, the more comfortable he'll get. Then in Spring Training, give him a shot at the rotation again.