holes in the lineup

FredGarcia99

No one jumped in to push for Catalonotto?  What's up with that?

If Maggs leave, which looks more likely by the day, we'll need a replacement in RF. That'll be either Carl Everett or the guy I'd prefer Frank Catalanotto.

SS and 3B and the main holes I see in this lineup. If we could go out and sign Omar Vizquel and Corey Koskie to fill them, our lineup will be so much deeper and dangerous.

Looking strictly at performance, the holes are 3B, SS, 2B, RF, at least one starting pitcher, and two guys in the bullpen.

That's 7 guys.

Which is why I see them trading a younger guy with market value to fill a different hole, and signing a stop gap free agent at 1-2 positions, plus a pitcher.

Looking strictly at performance, the holes are 3B, SS, 2B, RF, at least one starting pitcher, and two guys in the bullpen.

That's 7 guys.

Which is why I see them trading a younger guy with market value to fill a different hole, and signing a stop gap free agent at 1-2 positions, plus a pitcher.

Right on Jim!

That's why I advocate(d) trading Konerko. He could bring 1-2 (3?) SOLID players in return that could fill holes for us.

Unless you are the cubs ( :fthecubs ), no one trades you something for nothing; "you got to give, to get!".

At this point, we have 3 power hitters for next year: Konerko, Lee and Frank. The problem with trading Konerko, is that it takes us down to two, which is marginal.

Somebody has to drive runs in.

Frank Cat's a good hitter: but Frank Cat has no power at all and RF is a power position (so is 3B and we have obvious offensive problems there as well). Further, he is the epitome of a "Beane school" hitter and Riccardi is from the Beane school, so I doubt he'd come cheap.

Visquel is old (37) but would be nice for a year as he can get on base. A good SS (can he still field? don't know) would really help this team; let Willy and Uribe play 2nd and utility and if we have to keep Crede, so be it (at least he can catch and hit a few homers---offensive improvement sure would be nice though)

I'd have to see the whole picture, but I think it will be hard to retool this team without scoring at least one big free agent bat. Because we have no depth and because the players who aren't producing offensively have no trade value, anything we give up creates a new hole.