Contreras

Perez (FA)

Garland

Bullpen:

Adkins/Baj

Cotts

Kline (FA)

Marte

Nelson (sorry just love watching him pitch. He's nasty) *or the player picked up in 3 way* :)

Shingo

Lineup:

Pierre CF (Trade 3 way)

Rowand RF

Thomas DH

Snow 1B (FA)

The Cat LF (FA)

Vizquel SS (FA) *switch hitter*

Koskie 3B (FA)

Davis C *switch hitter*

Harris 2B

Bench:

Uribe/Valdez

Burke

Timo

Gload

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'd do is shop Garland and Crede and see what I can get. If I can get a good reliever, I'd trade one of them. If I can get a good bat, I'd do that(depending on what position they play, of course...I'm not going to add another full-time 1B type). For s***s and giggles, let's say that Montreal has interest in both Crede and Garland...what I'd then do is see if they'd give us Luis Ayala and Brad Wilkerson for those two...if not, you add another piece or two. If it costs too much, you ditch the idea entirely. Just for the hell of it, and so this doesn't become disappointing, they accept, with us having to add to add a prospect, which we do.

I'd then look to see what I can get for Konerko...with is being the last year of his contract, a few teams have interest, and with him having the season that he has had this year, it draws even more interest. Seattle comes knocking at our door, and we ask for Joel Piniero...if they turn that down(which I expect they would), we just ask for a package of prospects. They accept

We also trade Everett for a bag of balls, and we sign Jose Cruz Jr for $1 mill with an option for 06 for about $2.5 mill.

Come FA, we have glaring holes at 3B, SS, 2 in the rotation, and 1 in the pen(we let go of Politte, and our pen is Cotts, Adkins, Marte, Shingo, and Ayala...to fill that hole, we can either sign a true closer, like Benetiz or Urbina, or we can just have a guy like Bajenaru come up and pitch for us too...either works). To fill our hole at 3B, we sign Koskie, who I do believe the Twins will let go due to his injury proneness and lack of consistency along with the emergence of Terry Tiffee, to a 2-year deal for $10 mill, with a $7 mill option for a 3rd year(or a $1 mill buyout). We then sign Vizquel to a 1-year, $4 mill deal with an option for 2006 at $6.5 mill. To fill in the rotation, I would prefer we sign a very good, ace type pitcher, like Pedro...but I could also see us end up signing Russ Ortiz or Brad Radke too. I then say it is Diaz's job to lose in ST for the #5 spot in the rotation, and unless he pitches very poorly, he will have it.

So, the lineup looks like this...

Rowand - CF

Vizquel - SS

Wilkerson - 1B

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Koskie - 3B

Davis - C

Cruz/Borch/Escobar - RF

Harris - 2B

This lineup could be altered, obviously, and Willie would not always have to bat 9th like that...if he remembers how to steal bases, he is more valuable at the top of the lineup then the bottom.

Bench...

Burke - C

Gload - 1B/OF

Escobar/Cruz - OF

Uribe - MI and 3B

(insert power guy here)

Rotation...

Garcia

Buehrle

Pedro/Radke/Perez/Ortiz/whoever

Contreras

Diaz

Bullpen

Baj

Adkins

Cotts

Marte

Shingo

Ayala

The payroll is roughly $70-80 mill(depending on the starter we sign and how much). I cannot say the numbers for sure, but those are pretty accurate. And considering all that has happened this year(with the attendance atleast being very close to what we had last year with the increased ticket prices, the new TV deal coming in, and JR perhaps willing to dish out more money wanting a World Series before he dies, the $80 mill could happen, but I would look at $70 mill for sure...anything less, IMO, is lowballing it, which could happen, by the way)

why would you want any thing to do with Cruz Jr? hes a carrer .243 hitter

Several reasons. His average is not the biggest deal, considering that he brings good power, decent OBP, some speed, and good defense to RF.

We sign him and he could end up hitting .250 25 70 25 .800 with us with good defense in RF...there are worse options out there, and he does not cost a lot of money.

He is a low-risk, high-reward type of guy. Maybe we get lucky and he bounces back to his 2000-2001 form, hitting .250-.260 with 30 homers, 85 RBI, 30 steals, and an OPS of .850. Or maybe he does what he's done in Tampa this year...either way, he's a solid player and I've always liked him.

And, FWIW...he's a career .249 hitter.

He is a low-risk, high-reward type of guy.  Maybe we get lucky and he bounces back to his 2000-2001 form, hitting .250-.260 with 30 homers, 85 RBI, 30 steals, and an OPS of .850. Or maybe he does what he's done in Tampa this year...either way, he's a solid player and I've always liked him.

Cruz is a solid player, but he shouldn't be playing full time at all IMO. Here's his numbers from 01-03 in certain categories and I don't like his situational hitting whatsoever. (even though he's doing good in a couple of things ;)

Jose Cruz Jr.'s Stats (01-03)

Escobar is not nothing more than a bench player. A bunch of talent that was wasted

How many times have we heard this about AROW.

He'll never be any better then a forth outfielder.

The kid is cheap, he has real talent (unlike Joe Borchard), and why not give the kid a shot. It's not like we have anything to lose.

I think that over a full year he could easily hit .270 plus and hit at least 25+ Hr's. Thats more then good enough for me.

In 2003 with 99 at bats he hit .273 with 5 HR's.

I think that giving the right coaching we could really have something on our hands. Plus he's only 26 years old.

Here's mine. :)

Starting Rotation:

Garcia

Buehrle

Contreras

Perez (FA)

Garland

Bullpen:

Adkins/Baj

Cotts

Kline (FA)

Marte

Nelson (sorry just love watching him pitch. He's nasty) *or the player picked up in 3 way* :)

Shingo

Lineup:

Pierre CF (Trade 3 way)

Rowand RF

Thomas DH

Snow 1B (FA)

The Cat LF (FA)

Vizquel SS (FA) *switch hitter*

Koskie 3B (FA)

Davis C *switch hitter*

Harris 2B

Bench:

Uribe/Valdez

Burke

Timo

Gload

If we have J.T. Snow batting clean-up next year I won't watch this team.

:puke on Snow.

Cruz is a solid player, but he shouldn't be playing full time at all IMO. Here's his numbers from 01-03 in certain categories and I don't like his situational hitting whatsoever. (even though he's doing good in a couple of things ;)

Jose Cruz Jr.'s Stats (01-03)

Some of that stuff is very intersting.

Also...there is no one saying that he'd be the fulltime RFer...OK, maybe I did, but he probably wouldn't end up being that. We have some OFers in the minors, and if Anderson just tears up AA and AAA next year, I don't see why it would be out of the realm of possibility to bring him up and see what he's made of...it's quite obvious that Ozzie has a mancrush(ha, I just used heads word...he's probably gonna sue me now) on Anderson. There are other guys out there we could sign too...not sure who exactly, but there are others.

How many times have we heard this about AROW.

He'll never be any better then a forth outfielder.

The kid is cheap, he has real talent (unlike Joe Borchard), and why not give the kid a shot. It's not like we have anything to lose.

I think that over a full year he could easily hit .270 plus and hit at least 25+ Hr's. Thats more then good enough for me.

In 2003 with 99 at bats he hit .273 with 5 HR's.

I think that giving the right coaching we could really have something on our hands. Plus he's only 26 years old.

FWIW...Rowand has never had a lot of talent. He is a guy that has worked his ass off and is reaping the benefits. He is a grinder.

With the talent he has, he really should be a 4th OFer...we're lucky he's a blue collar kind of guy.

FWIW...Rowand has never had a lot of talent.  He is a guy that has worked his ass off and is reaping the benefits.  He is a grinder.

With the talent he has, he really should be a 4th OFer...we're lucky he's a blue collar kind of guy.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that either.

AROW does work his ass off but it doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. He might never hit 50 HR's but he is sure as hell better talent wise then a 4th Outfielder.

I think Escobar could be exactly what we need if he applies himself and gets the right coaching. Rowand was there the last few years and kept being screwed over by management (although that dirtbike accident didn't help any).

If we have J.T. Snow batting clean-up next year I won't watch this team.

:puke on Snow.

Snow (2004)

AB-300 R-54 H-99 2B-26 3B-1 HR-9 RBI-43 BB-48 SO-52 SB-4 CS-0 BA-.330 OBP-.428

What's not to like about him?

Check out his numbers in the 4 spot from 01-03. Nice. :)

Batting #4 AB-28 R-3 H-10 2B-2 3B-1 HR-0 RBI-5 BB-3 SO-3 AVG-.357 OBP-.419

In 2004..

Batting #4 AB-6 R-1 H-3 2B-0 3B-0 HR-0 RBI-1 BB-2 SO-2 AVG-.500 SLG-.625

:huh

Granted yes, he was injured and all, but he's a solid contact hitter, tough to K, draws the walk, hardly grounds into double plays. I'd take him. :)

Starting Pitchers-Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, (Free Agent) Garland

I have no idea, I think the bullpen will be re-worked this off-season.

1st base-Minky, Dug

2nd base-Harris

short stop-uribe/valdez

3rd base-Corey Koskie

Left Field-Carlos Lee

Center Field-Aaron Rowand

Right Field-Carlos Beltran

DH-Thomas

Davis

Gload, Burke, Alomar, Borchard, Perez

1st base-Minky, Dug

2nd base-Harris

short stop-uribe/valdez

3rd base-Corey Koskie

Left Field-Carlos Lee

DH-Thomas

Davis

Ross, curious why you think the Sox would have any chance at all to get Beltran. He is a Scott Boras client, for starters.

Snow (2004)

AB-300  R-54  H-99  2B-26  3B-1  HR-9  RBI-43  BB-48  SO-52  SB-4  CS-0  BA-.330  OBP-.428

What's not to like about him?

Check out his numbers in the 4 spot from 01-03. Nice. :)

Batting #4  AB-28  R-3  H-10  2B-2  3B-1  HR-0  RBI-5  BB-3  SO-3  AVG-.357  OBP-.419

In 2004..

Batting #4  AB-6  R-1  H-3  2B-0  3B-0  HR-0  RBI-1  BB-2  SO-2  AVG-.500  SLG-.625

:huh

Granted yes, he was injured and all, but he's a solid contact hitter, tough to K, draws the walk, hardly grounds into double plays. I'd take him. :)

To get that kind of production out of him elsewhere, you'd probably also need to add Bonds to the middle of your lineup.

Beltran said he's gonna change agents this off -season to Alan Nero. Ohhh and Beltran would be in center

Something tells me if the Astros make the playoffs and Beltran changes agents, he could actually stay in Houston, but I'd still think he'd go to the Yankees. And no way he'd play RF, Rowand would have to move to RF for us to get Beltran, which ain't gonna happen.

Heres mine:

I believe that this IS possible, the trades are fair, and the players involved might be moved this year. Having said that, will this happen?  Probley, most likely, NOT.  Lee or Konerko has to go, I would rather have PK, mainly cuz its my moms fav. player... :lolhitting .  Pierre  might be hard to get, but Flordia needs SP, since Pavano is goning to be gone.  They get 3 good arms, along with a CF to replace Pierre. 

Like I said will this happen, prob. not, but hey we can dream....RIGHT

Lee, Munoz, Diaz, Borchard,SweeneyORAnderson for Byrnes, Dotel, Hudson

Garland, Byrnes, Crede, SweeneyORAnderson, Cotts, Everett, Contreas for Mota, Lowell, Pierre, LoDuca

Valdez,Grilli, Stewart, Sanders, More Minor Leaguers for Randy Winn, and Jamie Moyer

CF--Pierre(TRADE)

SS--Vizquel(FA)

DH--Thomas

1B--Konerko

3B--Lowell(TRADE)

C--LoDuca(TRADE)

RF--Rowand

LF-- Winn(TRADE)

2B--Harris

BENCH--Perez

BENCH--Burke

BENCH--Gload

BENCH--Uribe

SP--Martinez(FA)

SP--Hudson(TRADE)

SP--Buehrle

SP--Garcia

SP--Moyer(TRADE)

RP--Adkins

RP--Marte

RP--Wunsch

RP--Mota(TRDAE)

RP--Dotel(TRADE)

RP--Urbina(FA)

RP--Takatsu

This can deffenetly win the WS with this team :headbang

You couldn't even pull that off in MVP baseball. C'mon.

1st base-Minky, Dug

2nd base-Harris

short stop-uribe/valdez

3rd base-Corey Koskie

Left Field-Carlos Lee

DH-Thomas

Davis

Minky? NO THANKS. I'll take 2003's Konerko over his sorry ass.

My semi-realistic lineup for 2005 would be as followed.

Trade: Crede(3B), Garland(SP), and 2 propsects(not named McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, GGonzalez, or Fields) to Seattle for Ichiro(OF)

Before people start telling me to come back to reality, hear me out. I think this is possible. Ichiro has been mentioned in trade rumors before(when Seattle was trying to negotiate a new contract with him), and it appears that Seattle is heading towards a long rebuilding phase. Losing Ichiro would be losing their one marketing tool during the expected struggles of rebuilding, however, they have had sucess in the past trading/not resigning superstars(RJohnson and ARod) and adding depth and youth in the process. While Crede and Garland have struggled this year, they still have the talent to be good major league players, are still realitively young, and will be realitively cheap over the next couple of years. Throw in two solid prospects, say Young and Cotts(for example), and I think it is a fair trade for both sides. Ichiro is EXACTLY what the Sox need. A high BA, high OBP, GG-calibur defensive, speedster. He is the best leadoff hitter in the game, and maybe the best since Rickey. Putting him at the top of the order in front of the power hitters that the Sox have would probably make the Sox offense one of the tops in the game.

Sign: Koskie(3B)

I think this will be a perfect fit. Although he has struggled a little this year(from a BA standpoint), he is still a solid, consistant, complete player. He does a little bit of everything(hit for BA, hit for power, runs well, solid plate disipline, good D) and would add a lefty bat to the middle of the order.

Sign: Radke(SP)

This might be a little bit of a stretch, and the Sox might have to settle for a cheaper(less effective) option, but he would look good in a Sox uniform. He would complement the power starters(Garcia and Contreras) nicely. KW said that pitching was going to be the #1 priority, and that the Sox would be in the market for a "good" starter, so Radke might not be that unrealistic, although they will probably settle for someone else(my gut feeling tells me Russ Ortiz).

Sign: Palanco(2B)

I think this guy could slip through the cracks. There is a very good middle infield FA market(Kent, Garciaparra, Renteria, Cabrera, Walker, ect), and Palanco could be had for a bargain. He is a solid all-around player and he can play multiple positions. I think he would fit in nicely in the #2 hole behind Ichiro.

Sign: Urbina(RP)

The Sox have been interested in this guy before. He is having a so-so season, but he still has a great arm and the Sox could really use another quality right handed reliever. Scott Williamson might also be an option if he is completely healthy.

2005 Lineup

Ichiro(RF)

Palanco(2B)

Thomas(DH)

Lee(LF)

Konerko(1B)

Koskie(3B)

Rowand(CF)

Davis©

Uribe(SS)

Bench

Harris(2B/CF)

Burke©

Borchard(OF/1B/DH)

Gload(Of/1B/DH)

Valdez(IF)

Rotation

Garcia(RH)

Buehrle(LH)

Radke(RH)

Contreras(RH)

Diaz/Munoz/McCarthy(maybe by the AS break)

Bullpen

Takatsu(RH)

Marte(LH)

Urbina(RH)

Polite(RH)

Wunsch(LH)

Adkins(RH)

This is what I would like to see if JR and KW are truely dedicated towards winning. In all likelyhood, you won't see an Ichiro trade, the Sox will settle for a middle of the pack starter(like Ortiz) instead of Radke, they will probably sign a cheap relief option instead of a big name guy(see Polite last year), they will probably stick with Harris at 2B, I think they might go after a short-term option at 3B(see Koskie/Randa), and I wouldn't be surprised if either Konerko or Lee is traded(possible Garland and/or Crede as well).

My semi-realistic lineup for 2005 would be as followed.

Trade: Crede(3B), Garland(SP), and 2 propsects(not named McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, GGonzalez, or Fields) to Seattle for Ichiro(OF)

Before people start telling me to come back to reality, hear me out. I think this is possible. Ichiro has been mentioned in trade rumors before(when Seattle was trying to negotiate a new contract with him), and it appears that Seattle is heading towards a long rebuilding phase. Losing Ichiro would be losing their one marketing tool during the expected struggles of rebuilding, however, they have had sucess in the past trading/not resigning superstars(RJohnson and ARod) and adding depth and youth in the process. While Crede and Garland have struggled this year, they still have the talent to be good major league players, are still realitively young, and will be realitively cheap over the next couple of years. Throw in two solid prospects, say Young and Cotts(for example), and I think it is a fair trade for both sides. Ichiro is EXACTLY what the Sox need. A high BA, high OBP, GG-calibur defensive, speedster. He is the best leadoff hitter in the game, and maybe the best since Rickey. Putting him at the top of the order in front of the power hitters that the Sox have would probably make the Sox offense one of the tops in the game.

Sign: Koskie(3B)

I think this will be a perfect fit. Although he has struggled a little this year(from a BA standpoint), he is still a solid, consistant, complete player. He does a little bit of everything(hit for BA, hit for power, runs well, solid plate disipline, good D) and would add a lefty bat to the middle of the order.

Sign: Radke(SP)

This might be a little bit of a stretch, and the Sox might have to settle for a cheaper(less effective) option, but he would look good in a Sox uniform. He would complement the power starters(Garcia and Contreras) nicely. KW said that pitching was going to be the #1 priority, and that the Sox would be in the market for a "good" starter, so Radke might not be that unrealistic, although they will probably settle for someone else(my gut feeling tells me Russ Ortiz).

Sign: Palanco(2B)

I think this guy could slip through the cracks. There is a very good middle infield FA market(Kent, Garciaparra, Renteria, Cabrera, Walker, ect), and Palanco could be had for a bargain. He is a solid all-around player and he can play multiple positions. I think he would fit in nicely in the #2 hole behind Ichiro.

Sign: Urbina(RP)

The Sox have been interested in this guy before. He is having a so-so season, but he still has a great arm and the Sox could really use another quality right handed reliever. Scott Williamson might also be an option if he is completely healthy.

2005 Lineup

Ichiro(RF)

Palanco(2B)

Thomas(DH)

Lee(LF)

Konerko(1B)

Koskie(3B)

Rowand(CF)

Davis©

Uribe(SS)

Bench

Harris(2B/CF)

Burke©

Borchard(OF/1B/DH)

Gload(Of/1B/DH)

Valdez(IF)

Rotation

Garcia(RH)

Buehrle(LH)

Radke(RH)

Contreras(RH)

Diaz/Munoz/McCarthy(maybe by the AS break)

Bullpen

Takatsu(RH)

Marte(LH)

Urbina(RH)

Polite(RH)

Wunsch(LH)

Adkins(RH)

This is what I would like to see if JR and KW are truely dedicated towards winning. In all likelyhood, you won't see an Ichiro trade, the Sox will settle for a middle of the pack starter(like Ortiz) instead of Radke, they will probably sign a cheap relief option instead of a big name guy(see Polite last year), they will probably stick with Harris at 2B, I think they might go after a short-term option at 3B(see Koskie/Randa), and I wouldn't be surprised if either Konerko or Lee is traded(possible Garland and/or Crede as well).

I like everything you have said except for the fact polanco is not a free agent. ;)