Warthogs Win Playoff Opener!

danman31

The Warthogs won 6-3 behind a 4 run 7th inning over Kinston. The series is a best of 3 and the final 2 games (if necessary) are in Kinston. Pollok got the save, the announcers and crowd were excited. Game 2 is tomorrow. Rogowski had 3 walks, one of which was before a Fields hit a 'towering' HR to make it 4-3, Becker hit another HR later in the inning. Wes Whisler against Adam Miller tomorrow. :headbang

Great Falls is losing 9-4 late in the game tonight and it looks like they are going to get swept out of the playoffs. :(

EDIT: Box Score- Tracey didn't get it done, but the bullpen did.

Edited by danman31

Damn, when it comes to the big games, Fields is always on fire! :headbang I remember that homer he hit during collage in the CWS which was huge. :)

I'm really loving what he has done since adjusting. As Borchard is to Reed in the fact that they are at similar points in their careers Fields is to Sweeney. People who liked Borchard argued power prospects over batting average prospects. If a similar scenario happens Fields is that power prospect, and I love it. I went a long way for a whole lot of nothing there didn't I? :lol:

I'm really loving what he has done since adjusting. As Borchard is to Reed in the fact that they are at similar points in their careers Fields is to Sweeney. People who liked Borchard argued power prospects over batting average prospects. If a similar scenario happens Fields is that power prospect, and I love it. I went a long way for a whole lot of nothing there didn't I? :lol:

At the same time, over this past month, Fields has cut his K's WAY down and must be hitting .320+ since August 1st.

Fields is much more advanced physically and in terms of his power, but I'm not so sure he has more long-term power potential. He's definitely a harder swinger than Sweeney, though.

At the same time, over this past month, Fields has cut his K's WAY down and must be hitting .320+ since August 1st.

Fields is much more advanced physically and in terms of his power, but I'm not so sure he has more long-term power potential.  He's definitely a harder swinger than Sweeney, though.

Well since you asked..........

Fields hit .307 after 8-1. He hit .352 after 8-11.

Surprisingly, you were off on the strikeouts. His overall strikeout rate was 28.9% of AB's. After August 1 it was 28.1% and after August 11, during his hot streak, it was still 27.3%. I was surprised by those numbers as well. I didn't calculate his walk rate, but from scanning his day-by-day it actually looked worse in August. I guess he was getting too many pitches to swing at.

Well since you asked..........

Fields hit .307 after 8-1.  He hit .352 after 8-11.

Surprisingly, you were off on the strikeouts.  His overall strikeout rate was 28.9% of AB's.  After August 1 it was 28.1% and after August 11, during his hot streak, it was still 27.3%.  I was surprised by those numbers as well.  I didn't calculate his walk rate, but from scanning his day-by-day it actually looked worse in August.  I guess he was getting too many pitches to swing at.

Who'd a thunk it on the K-rate. I remember looking at his K's to BB's when I was down there and being astonished. Last I looked, I had the impression that the chasm between K's and BB's was holding steady, but damn, that's a pretty consistent K-rate, LOL!