Marlins to play at USCF

SouthPaw

U.S. Cellular Field an option for storm-weary Marlins

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

September 9, 2004

MIAMI (AP) -- Hurricane Ivan could force the storm-weary Florida Marlins to play at least part of their five-game series next week against Montreal at U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago.

The teams are considering the White Sox ballpark as an option if Ivan makes it impossible to start the series Monday as scheduled at Pro Player Stadium.

The Marlins can't afford any more rainouts after three games last weekend against the Chicago Cubs were postponed because of Hurricane Frances. Florida is scheduled to play three doubleheaders in 11 days beginning Friday at Wrigley Field.

Whether the Marlins remain in Chicago to play the Expos will depend on how severely Ivan affects the Miami area. The storm could reach southern Florida as soon as Sunday, forecasters said.

``It would be weird -- a home game at an American League park,'' Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre said. ``But you definitely don't want to be sitting around another three or four days.''

A motocross event made Olympic Stadium in Montreal unavailable for any of the games.

Because of the postponements caused by Frances, the Marlins are scheduled to play 27 games in the final 24 days of the regular season. The defending World Series champions are in the thick of the race for the NL wild-card berth.

The Marlins flew to Chicago on Thursday night after a 4-0 loss to the New York Mets. With Ivan approaching, the organization invited the families of the players to accompany the team, and several players took the club up on the offer.

``If we have to play games somewhere else (next week), we don't have to worry about the families,'' manager Jack McKeon said.

McKeon said he initially packed for a three-day trip, but he was heading back home to get more clothes before driving to the airport.

With yet another hurricane threatening Florida, Pierre said it was difficult to leave -- even though the series against the Cubs is considered crucial.

``Definitely you'll be distracted,'' he said. ``It's hard to go play baseball when you know you might be coming back to something devastating. But you're professional. You've got to learn to block it out. The Cubs aren't going to feel sorry for us.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oD...ov=ap&type=lgns

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those Cub fans will make sure of that.

f*** them.

If atleast 8,000 White Sox fans show up and cheer on the Marlins I would anticipate a warm reception. It would be quite eerie witnessing fans cheering Josh Beckett on a 1-2 count, or giving someone a standing ovation following a HR.

I'd love to read a glowing testimonial on the devotion of Chicago White Sox fans from an opposing team.

That'd be awsome -- Admittance should be a donation to the Red Cross/Hurricane relief fund or some canned goods or something like that...

Very cool idea. However, I see this as being very unlikely since they have to pay for staff to run the game. I would suggest maybe 75% off any ticket with the donation of a canned good or non-parishable food. Also, dont give season ticket holders their seats. I am not saying they cant site there, but I think you should be able to buy ANY ticket including those of the seats of season ticket holders. This would give a chance for people to sit in seats they may never get a chance to sit in.

Very cool idea. However, I see this as being very unlikely since they have to pay for staff to run the game. I would suggest maybe 75% off any ticket with the donation of a canned good or non-parishable food. Also, dont give season ticket holders their seats. I am not saying they cant site there, but I think you should be able to buy ANY ticket including those of the seats of season ticket holders. This would give a chance for people to sit in seats they may never get a chance to sit in.

The White Sox should not make any money on the deal -- Just like the Cubs shouldn't be making any money on the extra game they get --

MLB has a joke for revenue sharing, and given the circumstances, the extra profit should not line the pockets of the fat-cats at the head of the two baseball institutions in town. The funds need to find thier way, if not into the Marlins coffers, than into the restoration efforts for the likely damage that has (or is due to) occur(ed), at the hands of those vicious storms.

Also, dont give season ticket holders their seats. I am not saying they cant site there, but I think you should be able to buy ANY ticket including those of the seats of season ticket holders. This would give a chance for people to sit in seats they may never get a chance to sit in.

We wouldn't get our seats unless we bought them. I would assume since no tickets are sold for it - all tickets would be avaliable (aside from F&F tickets of course).