Loazia wins #5 spot

Guest wsc425

Guest wsc425

And now pitching for the White Sox, Esteban Loazia.

He has become the official #5 starter of the sox said a report of Mark Gean Geico.

He has become the official #5 starter of the sox said a report of Mark Gean Geico.

Well...unless Danny Wright makes an unexpected recovery (we think he's healthy, but he hasn't pitched basically all spring), Loaiza will be #4, and probably either Josh Stewart (or Wright if available) would be #5.

Well...unless Danny Wright makes an unexpected recovery (we think he's healthy, but he hasn't pitched basically all spring), Loaiza will be #4, and probably either Josh Stewart (or Wright if available) would be #5.

The Offical Site pretty much came out and said that the fight for #5 is down to Wright and Stewart, and that Estaban (I guess I should learn to spell his last name now) has won the #4 postion, and JM said that he's loyal to Garland, and that's why Estaban isn't getting the #3 spot. (not an exact quote, but that's the rough of it)

- Pete

With Esteban lighting it up...it's a good move. Get him some innings and make him learn how to be a true pitcher. A contending team can't have a 5th starter with little experience and only a decent shot at success. Just can't afford it. I'll trust Esteban in this situation.

I can't help but remember that prior to spring training, so many folks in here where adamant that Rauch should be the number 5 starter, that he "deserved" it. I haven't heard that very much lately. Loiaza deserved it and earned it by outperforming Rauch and the rest of them. And that's how it should be decided.

I can't help but remember that prior to spring training, so many folks in here where adamant that Rauch should be the number 5 starter, that he "deserved" it.  I haven't heard that very much lately.  Loiaza deserved it and earned it by outperforming Rauch and the rest of them.  And that's how it should be decided.

In all fairness, who expected Esteban to perform as well as he's performed thus far? I'd say not many.

Jon, at least I thought, was a lock for the #5 slot. All he really had to do was come to camp and put up a decent ERA and show some command of his stuff, and he would have had it. Even now, with Loaiza's success, he still could have made the rotation because of the uncertainty of Danny Wright's status.

But, of course, Jon will very possibly have a shot at cracking the rotation later this season if he shows success down in AAA. I just hope he didn't get over-confident and assume the 5-slot was his. If so, maybe it'll be good for him -- a slice of humble pie. If not, he just needs to work on his command and come back strong and prove that he belongs at the ML level. Up to now, he has failed to do that.

I can't help but remember that prior to spring training, so many folks in here where adamant that Rauch should be the number 5 starter, that he "deserved" it.  I haven't heard that very much lately.  Loiaza deserved it and earned it by outperforming Rauch and the rest of them.  And that's how it should be decided.

I was one of those guys..... and just last week I posted that Loaiza has outperformed and outpitched Rauch and Loaiza should be awarded the starting position I was lobbying for Rauch. Given the way Rauch pitched the at the end of 2002's season, I thought Rauch would be able to outpitch Loaiza. I was wrong.

I can't help but remember that prior to spring training, so many folks in here where adamant that Rauch should be the number 5 starter, that he "deserved" it.  I haven't heard that very much lately.  Loiaza deserved it and earned it by outperforming Rauch and the rest of them.  And that's how it should be decided.

I was one of those guys..... and just last week I posted that Loaiza has outperformed and outpitched Rauch and Loaiza should be awarded the starting position I was lobbying for Rauch. Given the way Rauch pitched the at the end of 2002's season, I thought Rauch would be able to outpitch Loaiza. I was wrong.

he out preformed himself?

I can't help but remember that prior to spring training, so many folks in here where adamant that Rauch should be the number 5 starter, that he "deserved" it.  I haven't heard that very much lately.  Loiaza deserved it and earned it by outperforming Rauch and the rest of them.  And that's how it should be decided.

he out preformed himself?

i didnt even catch that the first time i read it :lol:

im sure he meant heredia

No his statement was correct...what he meant to say was this I think:

"I was one of those guys..... and just last week I posted that Loaiza has outperformed and outpitched Rauch. Loaiza should be awarded the starting position...and I was lobbying for Rauch. Given the way Rauch pitched the at the end of 2002's season, I thought Rauch would be able to outpitch Loaiza. I was wrong. "

Woo Hoo! I'm all for this. Loazia has had nothing short of an impressive spring training, from the stories I've been hearing. He clearly deserves this, and now our rotation looks like it could take us deep. Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Loazia, Wright...That isn't very shabby at all! I'm stoked about our rotation!

Woo Hoo!  I'm all for this.  Loazia has had nothing short of an impressive spring training, from the stories I've been hearing.  He clearly deserves this, and now our rotation looks like it could take us deep.  Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Loazia, Wright...That isn't very shabby at all!  I'm stoked about our rotation!

Wright isn't a lock yet. J Stewart pitched 5 scoreless innings today :headbang

Woo Hoo!  I'm all for this.  Loazia has had nothing short of an impressive spring training, from the stories I've been hearing.  He clearly deserves this, and now our rotation looks like it could take us deep.  Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Loazia, Wright...That isn't very shabby at all!  I'm stoked about our rotation!

I think stewart might be better served by getting regular starts in AAA

Woo Hoo!  I'm all for this.  Loazia has had nothing short of an impressive spring training, from the stories I've been hearing.  He clearly deserves this, and now our rotation looks like it could take us deep.  Buehrle, Colon, Garland, Loazia, Wright...That isn't very shabby at all!  I'm stoked about our rotation!

I think stewart might be better served by getting regular starts in AAA

I don't disagree with you. However, I think Stewart has earned a legitimate shot at SP if Wright is unable to go..... maybe even if Wright is able to go. But if they move Wright down to number 5, that will decrease the number of games that he'll have to start and give that elbow some much needed rest time in between starts. J Stewart will probably start the season in the minors though.

For part of April....Stewart would basically be giving us another lefty out of the pen.

This is going to be tough on whoever is the #5 pitcher....because if we go with the rotation the way it is, no matter what(going 1-5 regardless of off-days)....then the top 4 will probably work on 5 day's rest....and that may keep them out of a rhythm, or get them into a rhythm only to have it be broken later on....but if we go with whoever the best available is depth wise(1-5 in the rotation)....then whoever the #5 pitcher is takes a hit....though being used out of the pen isn't necessarily out of the question.

If Stewart is the #5....then he could be used as a lefty out of the pen. However, if Danny is sent down to AAA without it being a rehab assignment...his confidence could take a hit. I mean....the kid wins 14 games for us in 2002....and his reward is being sent to the minors? It doesn't make sense.

Jerry's got a tough-ass decision....and I hope he makes the right one. Both has their pros and their cons....and at this point...I don't know which is the better option. I'd assume it is use Wright out of the #5 slot....just because he does have some pretty good stuff...and he gives us another arm out of the pen for atleast a little bit....long relief.

Frankly, I would have liked to see Rauch win the 5th spot because I like that kid a lot. However, Rauch did very poor throughout spring training. On the other hand, Loaiza shined all through spring training and is now the White Sox 5th man. As much as I would have liked to see Rauch in the coveted 5th spot, Loaiza earned the right to be there and has every right to do so.

Frankly, I would have liked to see Rauch win the 5th spot because I like that kid a lot. However, Rauch did very poor throughout spring training. On the other hand, Loaiza shined all through spring training and is now the White Sox 5th man. As much as I would have liked to see Rauch in the coveted 5th spot, Loaiza earned the right to be there and has every right to do so.

Loiza is the 4th starter now.... Wright and Stewart fighting for the 5th... and of those i think the only question is wrights health....

I think I need to clarify my statement. Some of you, I know, felt and believed Rauch would perform well enough to earn the slot and if he did then he should have it. However, others insisted that based on 2 good starts at the end of last season, that Rauch should have the slot given to him. I always stated that the one who performs best should win out. I apologize if my remarks were intrepreted in a different manner tha I intended.

If Stewart is the #5....then he could be used as a lefty out of the pen.  However, if Danny is sent down to AAA without it being a rehab assignment...his confidence could take a hit.  I mean....the kid wins 14 games for us in 2002....and his reward is being sent to the minors?  It doesn't make sense.

If Danny gets sent down to AAA, it'll be because he's not ready. He has not pitched enough this spring to warrent being sent down for any other reason. He's worked a few innings at far less than 100%, so I'm quite certain they're going to disregard his stats completely. I believe he'll have 2 ST outings before camp breaks, and if he is pain free, he'll be our #5 guy (since he doesn't throw much the first month or so, and we could use him in the pen as well).

And yes, last year he won 14 games...but, keep in mind that he had an ERA over 5. I really like him as a pitcher, but to be honest, he should have far better numbers than that. It was his first season in the rotation, though, so this season he will have no excuses not to perform well. He finished off '02 on a high note (won like 7 of his last 10 games with an ERA under 4), so I hope he can ride that high and come back from his inflammation.

If Stewart is the #5....then he could be used as a lefty out of the pen.  However, if Danny is sent down to AAA without it being a rehab assignment...his confidence could take a hit.  I mean....the kid wins 14 games for us in 2002....and his reward is being sent to the minors?  It doesn't make sense.

If Danny gets sent down to AAA, it'll be because he's not ready. He has not pitched enough this spring to warrent being sent down for any other reason. He's worked a few innings at far less than 100%, so I'm quite certain they're going to disregard his stats completely. I believe he'll have 2 ST outings before camp breaks, and if he is pain free, he'll be our #5 guy (since he doesn't throw much the first month or so, and we could use him in the pen as well).

And yes, last year he won 14 games...but, keep in mind that he had an ERA over 5. I really like him as a pitcher, but to be honest, he should have far better numbers than that. It was his first season in the rotation, though, so this season he will have no excuses not to perform well. He finished off '02 on a high note (won like 7 of his last 10 games with an ERA under 4), so I hope he can ride that high and come back from his inflammation.

I doubt they even send him to AAA, maybe extended ST but thats about it.