What do you want the bullpen to look like?

Butter Parque

I think its important and necessary to have 7 pitchers out of the pen.

LRP- Neal Cotts- LH- He's going to have to improve before he becomes a starter.

MRP- Jon Adkins- RH- He throws smoke, but is sometimes erratic. They should increase his role though.

MRP- Cliff Politte- RH- Overall he has been fine, but there are times where he looks like the worst pitcher on earth.

MRP- Arnie Munoz- LH- Lets face it, he's not a starter, but he could be a decent Lefty out of the pen if he gets some more control of that fastball and curve.

RHS- Shingo Takatsu- RH- He throws junk, but hopefully its good enough to lock down the set up role.

LHS- Damaso Marte- LH- He has to have abetter year or the bullpen is nothing. His control at times has been as bad as I have ever seen it, especially against lefties.

Closer- Trevor Hoffman- RH- Armando benitez will expect too much money. SD has a club option on him, but they won't pick it up( Otsuka will close next year) Hoofman is the logical choice. My first choice would be Mota though. If he doesn't work out then you put him in set-up and Shingo to close.

Face the facts, they'll never spend that much on Benitez and Hoffman is better then troy Percival

I'd rather have f***ing Glendon Rusch closing out games than those two which isn't saying much at all. I hope we make a run at Urbina (even though he's also better for the set-up) or Billy Wagner (if the club doesn't pick up his option ;))

I'd rather have f***ing Glendon Rusch closing out games than those two which isn't saying much at all. I hope we make a run at Urbina (even though he's also better for the set-up) or Billy Wagner (if the club doesn't pick up his option ;))

Wagner expect s6-8 million a year and we will not give him that much. Hoffman on the other hand will cost alot less.

I mean he is one of the best closers ever.

Was one of the best closers "ever" (if you feel that way)Ever since that surgery, his fastball is 86-88, can't use the nasty slider anymore and his changeup can hang from time to time. He's basically a 2 pitch pitcher now. I saw him pitch against the Cubbies/Marlins and he looked horrible. Pass.

Wagner expect s6-8 million a year and we will not give him that much. Hoffman on the other hand will cost alot less.

6-8 mil? That isn't bad at all considering Benitez is asking for 8-10 mil, and Urbina is around 7-9. With all the players who are leaving, that's alot of money we can invest, and who knows what trades we'll make that'll free up more space. I'd take Wagner in a heartbeat. He's awesome.

Was one of the best closers "ever" (if you feel that way)Ever since that surgery, his fastball is 86-88, can't use the nasty slider anymore and his changeup can hang from time to time. He's basically a 2 pitch pitcher now. I saw him pitch against the Cubbies/Marlins and he looked horrible. Pass.

I could care less how fast he throws as long as he can still prove he knows how to get outs. Which this year in 47 innings he has 43 strikeouts which is not bad at all. His whip stands at 1 with and era of 2.68. He has saved 35 of of 39 chances. He is not past his prime, not at all. He is also less of a risk than wagner or urbina because he will cost much less.

6-8 mil? That isn't bad at all considering Benitez is asking for 8-10 mil, and Urbina is around 7-9. With all the players who are leaving, that's alot of money we can invest, and who knows what trades we'll make that'll free up more space. I'd take Wagner in a heartbeat. He's awesome.

I would give wagner 8 million but urbina is on crack since he thinks he is a closer.

People not wanting Hoffman, I dont agree with you guys. This year he is 2-3 with a 2.68 ERA and he has 35 saves in 39 opps. Not too bad for someone who "suck, and is over the hill"

I agree with Jim Parque, or whatever his name is..sorry.

I think its important and necessary to have 7 pitchers out of the pen.

LRP- Neal Cotts- LH- He's going to have to improve before he becomes a starter.

MRP- Jon Adkins- RH- He throws smoke, but is sometimes erratic. They should increase his role though.

MRP- Cliff Politte- RH- Overall he has been fine, but there are times where he looks like the worst pitcher on earth.

MRP- Arnie Munoz- LH- Lets face it, he's not a starter, but he could be a decent Lefty out of the pen if he gets some more control of that fastball and curve.

RHS- Shingo Takatsu- RH- He throws junk, but hopefully its good enough to lock down the set up role.

LHS- Damaso Marte- LH- He has to have abetter year or the bullpen is nothing. His control at times has been as bad as I have ever seen it, especially against lefties.

Closer- Trevor Hoffman- RH- Armando benitez will expect too much money. SD has a club option on him, but they won't pick it up( Otsuka will close next year) Hoofman is the logical choice. My first choice would be Mota though. If he doesn't work out then you put him in set-up and Shingo to close.

The only thing is dont like is.... Politte and Munoz. I think everything else you have a good, but i think a Urbina, Mota ;) or someone like a Felix Rodriguez type pitcher. Also, I hear Robb Nenn is just looking for a chance, getting a minor league deal. why not try him, it wouldnt cost us if he doesnt make it.

I would like the pen to look as follows:

IN NO ORDER...

L--Neal Cotts

L--Damaso Marte

R--Jon Adkins

R--Shingo Takatsu

R--Ugieth Urbina

R--Hoffman/Mota/Big name free agent or trade

R--Diaz/Grilli/Bajenaru/Wright

Thats just my 2 cents....lets go irish :headbang

:usa 9-11-01 NEVER FORGET :usa

Is Mota a FA? Everyone is talking like he is avaialbe, but if he isnt a FA, the Why in the hell would Florida trade him, espcailly since Benitez is as good as gone???????

No he is not a free agent he will close for the marlins next year. No way in hell they trade mota unless if they get blown away by a proposal.

Well, first if you want to talk about injury, Hoffman has been healthy all year, Billy Wagner on the other hand has not. H ehas been on the DL twice which is not good. I don't think Philly will pick up his option at that cost but he still has that injury concern.

Second, I put Munoz in there because I think he has good potential with that nice curveball of his. He has pitched well since we brought him up and he looks a lot better then he did against Montreal. H ehas to improve his control though.

I want to keep Politte because I like the fact of having a veteran righty coming out of the pen in middle relief and throwing gas. The only other righty who throws hard is Adkins and he is still very young and inconsistent. politte is going to come back cheap, so why not. If not him, then I guess we would go with Felix Diaz who I like out of the pen but his stuff is just not that good. I definitely don't want Baj in there yet. He should go to Charlotte for another year maybe, right now he is just a liability. (Sorry Baj, I know your a poster here at Soxtalk!) The pen looks a little young and inexperienced the way I have it but with a solid veteran closer like Hoffman, he would be the glue that would hold the pen together.

Benetiz will get $6, tops...and Urbina won't get anywhere CLOSE to $7 mill.

Think about this...Urbina, after playing a huge role in the Marlins World Championship bullpen, was signed in Spring Training for $3 mill. He's had a very off year this year.

Given, it is a weak market for relief pitchers, but that will not increase the prices THAT much.

Another thing...usually, pitchers take about a year to regain a lot of what they lost from surgery. Considering the year Hoffman is having, I'd take him in a heartbeat. His numbers would get worse(not because he's going from the NL to the AL, but rather because he's going from a park that hugely favors pitcher to a park that hugely favors hitters), but I guarantee you that they'd be better then Koch's.

I'd like to have either Urbina or Hoffman...it's not like they're bad or anything like that.