Andy Katz top 50 teams in college basketball.

qwerty

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody wants to go to illinois, so they are now recruiting 1 star Juco players

:puke

Downey,Wright and Goodridge have denied them.

Maybe if Self stopped his negative recruiting ways we would have landed Wright.

Weber has to establish himself at Illinois. He's been here a year. Self didn't recruit for s*** here right away either. Hardly any coaches of this nature do, anywhere. The program will sell itself if we can make a run to the elite eight, final four, etc.lk

In the meantime, keep choking over in Lawrence.

PS Wright is going to the NBA anyway.

Well the puking motion means that I am angry about this lack of recruiting.  Illinois is my second favorite team.

This is Self's second year and he has the top recruiting class next year.

He also established himself at Illinois.

Weber didn't exactly establish himself at SIU in the same manner Self did at Illinois. That's what i'm getting at.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I think Self is a wonderful recruiter, but Kansas sells itself

Illinois has somewhat begun to sell itself as well. But Self is one of the best recruiters i've ever seen. That being said, without bias i can say that i think Weber is a better game coach than Self. But Self can recruit with anyone.

9) MSU (still don't have a PG, but I like Hill, Torbert, and Davis a lot)

Neitzel will step into PG this year most likely. IIRC he was Mr. Basketball for the state of Michigan. He is a very good player. Every team needs freshmen to contribute, and he should. MSU will be much improved this year.

Neitzel will step into PG this year most likely. IIRC he was Mr. Basketball for the state of Michigan. He is a very good player. Every team needs freshmen to contribute, and he should. MSU will be much improved this year.

I kind of thought that, but I have two issues. First, Izzo doesn't seem to want to give massive roles to freshmen, even when he has studs like Marcus Taylor, Zach Randolph, or Jason Richardson. Two, their lineup seemed to work last year toward the end of the season. At least to me, it seems that a lineup of Hill, Torbert, Ager/Brown, Anderson, and Davis works at times, although he would probably have to switch it around a bit to match up with other team's post players.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I think Self is a wonderful recruiter, but Kansas sells itself

Just for comparison (and I truly believe Self may be the best recruiter in college BB) here were his classes at Illinois along with rankings for those who care. Rankings may be a little off but I didn't really feel like looking up the exact RSCI rankings when I know very close to where all these guys were ranked.

1. Blandon Ferguson JC (didn't do anything)

Luther Head-NR (turned into a very good player)

Kept Roger Powell who had already committed on board

2. Dee Brown - around 20

Deron Williams around 50 (great get for Self but not a whole lot of comp. as GT had already just signed Jarret Jack, also missed out on Sean Dockery)

James Augustine around 80 (had to be convinced by Dee and assistants to take him after missing out on Shelden Williams, Michael Thompson, and Ike Diogu)

Aaron Spears borderline top 100 (not with team)

Kyle Wilson borderline top 100 (not with team)

3. Rich McBride around 30 (very good get coming out of HS)

Brian Randle around 55 (extremely athletic, hasn't proven anything besides that yet)

Warren Carter NR (could end up being a tremendous SF/PF at the college level)

*Charlie Villanueva top 5 (committed ended up at UCONN where he contributed very little to their NC last year)

Bruce Weber

As Self had to keep Powell on board so did Weber have to keep Carter Randle, and McBride on board

1. Shaun Pruitt- 55-70 are the rankings I've seen for him, the kid is huge and rankings wise is better than any big man self brought into UI unless you count CV

Calvin Brock borderline top 100 #3 player in Illinois last year (tremendous athlete easily the most explosive athlete on the team)

2. So far

Marcus Arnold- transfer from ISU, averaged over 12 PPG last year and made our big men look horrible when we faced them

Jamar Smith-terrific shooter borderline 100 type ranking

David Palmer-this guy is a bit of an enigma, a one time top 25 player per insiders top 50 per rivals and at least one other source as slid drastically in the rankings due to an injury, is going to Oak Hill this year which should help him a lot and if he gets back to form is a very good get for UI

While I'm worried who will fill out the class of '05 up to this point I'm very happy with the guys Weber has coming into the program.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Good recap there. The thing that stands out is that Self got some studs - Weber hasn't. You could argue that Livingston would have committed to Illinois (even if he went to the NBA) if Self was still here. Had Villanueva. But we can't land anyone huge right now. When Self walks into Wright's home and lands him without a visit...well i just don't know what to say to that.

Good recap there. The thing that stands out is that Self got some studs - Weber hasn't. You could argue that Livingston would have committed to Illinois (even if he went to the NBA) if Self was still here. Had Villanueva. But we can't land anyone huge right now. When Self walks into Wright's home and lands him without a visit...well i just don't know what to say to that.

It means he is a great recruiter and that Julian Wright always wanted to go to Kansas. The only reason he removed Kansas was that Kansas cooled on him not the other way around. Julian Wright wanted to go to an "elite" program and when he found out Arizona wasn't what he was looking for and Kansas made itself available and Wright jumped at the chance. At least thats what I've pieced together.

It means he is a great recruiter and that Julian Wright always wanted to go to Kansas.  The only reason he removed Kansas was that Kansas cooled on him not the other way around.  Julian Wright wanted to go to an "elite" program and when he found out Arizona wasn't what he was looking for and Kansas made itself available and Wright jumped at the chance.  At least thats what I've pieced together.

are we still talking about Julian Wright, that was so last week.

Brandon Costner or CJ Miles is the next KU Recruit