Ross Gload- Starting first baseman in 2005?

bjm676

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people would love to have a Doug Mientzkiwitz or a JT Snow type player on the Sox. Gload could be that type of player- a hard nosed grinder with solid baseball instincts, plays above average defense [the games I've seen him at 1B he's been stellar there], a lh bat who makes contact, runs well, hits LH and RHP well. He's done everything asked of him this year, without any complaint, braincramps, or lack of intensity. Kind of like Rowand in years past. And we know how that's turned out when the sox gave him a chance.

Exactly, plus I remember numerous people ripping Rowand a new one saying how he isn't a starter, well look now. I know its only one year, but he's earned his right to start and next year he could be a really good player.

Why can't Gload be? He's done it in limited time, lets see how he does as a starter the final month and then make a call based on that.

Hell, I'd much rather deal Frank then Konerko, simply because then the Sox could have a rotating DH and basically not be stuck with just a DH type of guy. To me those type of guys make things a lot more difficult. However, they won't move Thomas because I don't think many teams would give the Sox much, if anything for him. That and losing Maggs and Frank in the same year will piss of most casual fans and of course some diehards (me, as long as you spend the money and improve the team in other ways, I have no problem).

However, I want to make one statement. US Cell is a hitters park, so we have to take that into account and the Sox still need to make sure they have guys that can put up enough runs on the board cause their pitchers will have a little higher ERA, simply because the ball leaves the yard more here then a lot of other parks.

Its not Coors though.

Paul Konerko > Ross Gload

I don't care how slow Paulie is. Ross Gload won't ever sniff Konerko numbers. The Sox would be fine with Thomas, Konerko and Lee in the middle of the order. The entire line-up doesn't need to be multi-talented. You don't win it all unless you have some pop in the middle of that order, and frankly, Ross Gload doesn't bring to the table what Paul Konerko does.

There's a reason the Twins don't make it far into the post-season: they don't have any big hitters. There's a reason the Marlins won the World Series: they had big hitters in the middle of their order, as did Anaheim.

The problems are clearly there, and it ain't Paul Konerko.

They have three questionable infielders (one of them isn't Paul Konerko), a questiobale situation at catcher, and a questionable right fielder.

It's hard to find a 1B that can swipe bags and bunt, and I think it's a bit much to want an order up and down that are potential 20 base threats. However, we all know the options are out there for 3B, SS and 2B. Korey Koskie? Orlando Cabrera? Omar Vizquel? Uribe and Harris platoon?

A balanced order still has power in it. And I'm not talking about 2 guys. The middle of your order has to be able to bring it. If anyone outside the three, four, and five hole can hit the longball, that's an added plus. If your three, four and five hitters can't hit the ball deep on a regular basis, your offense is in trouble.

Ok, lets say you have Cruz/Furcal for Konerko. Now I have no idea if the Braves would do it, but it seems realistic for the most part.

The Sox now have:

Furcal - 5 mill

Rowand - 2 mill

JD Drew - Add him (3 Mill Saved in the deal or so) - 8 mill

Frank Thomas - 8 mill

Carlos Lee - 8 mill

Ross Gload - 500K

Joe Crede or someone else at 3B/Juan Uribe - 500 K

Ben Davis/Jamie Burke/Ryan Hankins - 1 mill

Willie Harris/Juan Uribe - 500 K

You have a very balanced lineup, one that makes a lot less money. You can deal Crede and pick up some more stuff and get a solid 3B or stick with Crede and have a backup plan if things don't work out. The lineup also has good speed, with the exceptions of Crede and Thomas. Davis isn't fast, but he's solid for a catcher.

OBP is awesome with Drew/Thomas and then Rowand/Furcal/Lee should all have above average OBP's (thats assuming they do what they did this year). Crede and Davis will be below average, although Davis has a good eye and Willie should be at average and has a shot to be above average if he gets comfortable, which could definately happen with him at the nine hole.

Your lineup has 33.5 million plus bench players and what not. Don't know how accurate my salaries were.

Pitching Staff

Garcia - 8

Buehrle - 5

Contreras - 6

Odalis Perez/Matt Clement/Carl Pavano/etc - 6 to 9

Jon Garland - 3

Rotation - 31 mill (Thats assuming 9 mill for another starter)

Bullpen

Shingo - 2

Marte - 2

Cruz - 750

Cotts - 500

Adkins - 500

Sign a good RH setup guy (2.5 mill)

Bullpen - Roughly 7 mill; They could carry another reliever in which case Baj/Munoz/Diaz fight for it.

Total Payroll = 71 million

To me that seems like a pretty fair payroll all things considering. I could be off a little bit, but that rotation would be fantastic and the bullpen should be strong. Marte will be better then he was this year, Shingo should be solid (maybe outstanding), Cruz (good to very good), FA (good to very good), Cotts (good), Adkins (solid back end guy).

Lineup should have a good offense and defensively they should be solid as well with Uribe and Hankins on the bench which are two very versatile players, plus Borchard who can play all 3 outfield positions, Burke (versatile) and then Timo.

If the Sox want to spend a little more they could and if they did, I would say do it at 3B or the bullpen. If I did it in the pen, I'd sign a closer, move everyone else back.

IF anyone wants to mention that this lineup would have less power, your probably right when compared to the one with Maggs/Thomas/Lee/Konerko/Jose. However, Rowand, Lee, Thomas, Drew, Crede should all hit 20 plus homers. Lee/Thomas/Drew should be in the 30 range, which will still give this team good power and Davis/Gload should have 10 plus and Uribe should get his off the bench in a super utility role.

You also have guys capable in stolen bases in Furcal, Rowand, Willie. Carlos is decent on the paths, Drew has solid speed (don't know if I'd run him much though). OBP wise, Konerko was good, but Drew is ridiculous (thomas like) with a .430 OBP and a 1.000 Plus OPS this year. The only question is if he stays healthy, cause when he is, he's a hell of a hitter. Heck, he could easily do better then Maggs, imo. I'd offer him up 10 mill, especially if the Sox could insure his contract.

Edit: One last thing, I left off Carl Everett, but if you can't trade him, he's a good asset to have. It means payroll is a bit higher and I'd only carry one catcher, which means Hankins is down in AAA waiting. However, Everett is their so Drew can get some time off and I'd teach him first in spring training if Gload proves he's just a reserve. While him and Thomas wouldn't be great at first, it wouldn't be awful either. Plus Everett is a good athlete, he should be able to pick up first. He's also insurance if Frank goes down or what not.

From today's Sun-Times:

[Gload (.304) could make Konerko expendable

September 13, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen wants a new look to his offense next season, and one solution to his needs could have been on the bench this whole time.

Ross Gload's play in the series at Anaheim might get the Sox thinking about putting the contact hitter at first base next season and dealing Paul Konerko for an upgrade at shortstop or to find a replacement in right field for Magglio Ordonez, who is not expected to return.

The Sox might even be thinking about finding a center fielder and moving Aaron Rowand to right field.

Gload, who was the designated hitter Friday and played at first base Saturday and Sunday, went 6-for-13 in the series against the Angels with a home run and five RBI. Gload wouldn't come close to Konerko-type numbers over a season, but is as good at situational hitting as anybody on the Sox roster.

''The only bad thing about this kid is he never got the opportunity,'' Guillen said. ''He was a backup for Mark Grace [while in the Cubs organization], then he came here and Paul Konerko was playing. But if somebody gave him the chance to play, he's a good .270, .280 hitter with 70 RBI and 15-20 home runs. His defense makes him even better. He can play every day.''

If the Sox are sold on that option, Konerko would have to be dealt with offense in mind.

''I was given an opportunity and was lucky enough to win a bench job, and I think I've done my job at that,'' said Gload, who is batting .304 with four home runs and 33 RBI in 171 at-bats. ''I've just kind of hung back and taken the role of when the big guys need days off, hopefully just go in there and just help out or get something done.''

''I want to be in the big leagues, but I don't know if I can play every day. My goal for this year was to be here the whole year and enjoy it. I've driven home the day after the season and been told [twice] that I'm being taken off the roster, so I take it day by day.

''If our good players come back next year there really isn't a place for me to play. But I'd like to be back and helping out in some way here.'']

Thoughts?

I think Dougie Padilla is smoking some serious s***. ;)

A balanced order still has power in it. And I'm not talking about 2 guys. The middle of your order has to be able to bring it. If anyone outside the three, four, and five hole can hit the longball, that's an added plus. If your three, four and five hitters can't hit the ball deep on a regular basis, your offense is in trouble.

If PK were traded [i'm more in the trade Carlos lee camp myself] the 3, 4 + 5 hitters would probably be Lee, Frank and Everett [or a RF replacement] [if Lee is traded, Frank would prob. hit 3, Everett 4, PK, 5. Rowand's approaching 20 HR's which is highly unusual for a CFer. Uribe has more power than a typical 2Bman as well. Crede is going on 20 as well.

The Sox will still have power, even if Lee or PK are traded.

Rowand's approaching 20 HR's which is highly unusual for a CFer.

Griffey, Edmonds, Jones, Beltran, Finley, Cameron, Patterson, Bradley

I dont think 20 HR's should be considered HIGHLY unusual for a CF.. Aside from them there are more that are approaching 20 HR's too

so I assume all of you guys have seen what Gload to do if given the chance over the course of a whole season?

Oh wait, you couldn't have because he's never been given the opportunity. The chance he has been given has been this season off the bench and he's been not only productive but consistent through it all.

Since 2000, the Sox and us fans have been stuck on getting the guys with the best "numbers" at each position and what has it gotten them? nothing.

if they find the right replacement for Ordonez in right field and/or solidify their situation at third base, having Gload play first and bat between 7-9, then this isn't something anyone should be pissed off about.

I, like Jason, have liked Gload since seeing him play two years ago in Charlotte. He's a solid, consistent, fundamental hitter who never been given a chance. You hear that, a consistent fundamental hitter ... a consistent fundamental hitter ... we haven't had many of those guy pass through the organization in years. And when we do, a lot of people would rather say he isn't a "starter" because he isn't going to hit homers and put up nice numbers that will likely be put up in non-pressure, useless situations.

Now, don't get me wrong, Gload could turn out to be one of those players who is a great bench player and below average starter ... Gload even mentioned the possibility, but if the Sox make the right moves around him, Gload starting at first isn't a bad idea by any means.

People thought Aaron Rowand would never be a starter, and now there are some who believe is a longterm piece (some are even buying his jersey).

Juan Uribe was supposed to be only a bench player, but there have been many people (whether they are saying it now or were saying it earlier in the season) who would prefer him starting at short or third.

Ben Davis was guy many here thought upon acquiring him that he was a add-in that would spend time in the minors and never see the majors, let alone produce. Now people are ready to make him and Jamie Burke (another guy who, like Gload, has never been given the chance) the catching duo for next year.

Sometimes someone just needs to be given a chance to prove himself, especially if they've earned that look in the brief time they've been given.

Molto, that is one hell of a post. I'm tired of having all these guys that put up great numbers at every position but never come through when you need them. I'm not saying konerko is necessarily is the problem but he's definitely been part of it. PK is a better hitter, gload is a better defender, better baserunner, and probably a better clutch hitter. Gload can hit, gload can field at first, why can't he be an everyday player. If the sox can dump pauly's salary and get a leadoff hitter and then start gload at 1b that would be one heck of a trade off. Gload is exactly the kind of grinder this team needs.

If PK were traded [i'm more in the trade Carlos lee camp myself] the 3, 4 + 5 hitters would probably be Lee, Frank and Everett [or a RF replacement] [if Lee is traded, Frank would prob. hit 3, Everett 4, PK, 5. Rowand's approaching 20 HR's which is highly unusual for a CFer. Uribe has more power than a typical 2Bman as well. Crede is going on 20 as well.

The Sox will still have power, even if Lee or PK are traded.

The Sox offense now has pop indeed, but two of the guys you listed might be on their way out.

Can Everett be a legitimate 5 hitter? Even if he does pop 20 out, can he drive in at least 90 runs? I don't think he can. He hasn't shown anything this season that suggests it. Not to mention he can't field his position.

And Crede, though he may turn his career around, a .230 batting average won't get it done. Not to mention he's nearly as slow as Konerko.

I don't expect to see either of those two guys on the roster next season. Not if the Sox plan to win anything.

It's that fact that nearly EVERYONE in the order has pop that makes their line-up poor. Trading Konerko or Lee and going with the bunch that's out there and the addition of one grinder doesn't make them any better. It probably makes them worse.

I say keep your best three hitters in tact and then evaluate the rest. Is Willie Harris a legitimate big leaguer? Can the Sox overcome Crede's offensive short comings? Should the Sox add a lead off hitter in CF and move Rowand to RF? Will Uribe hit 20 home runs every year?

Also, the Sox will have money freed up elsewhere. Valentin (5 mil?) and Ordonez (14 mil?) are both on their way out. That's an additional 19 million to spend on players. If the Sox can't fill the holes at 3B and RF with 19 mil, then they need to expand payroll or pack it in. Just from the general consensus, Koskie and Cabrera/Viazquel would only cost about 10 mil. That leaves 9 mil for a legitimate closer.

Money isn't the issue with Konerko. I think it's something else.

No hitter in the big leagues can ever be a consistant hitter with the upper cut swing Gload has. He's not a good fundamental hitter, I don't know where you got that idea.

He's been consistant all year, granted it's only been part of the season but don't you think if he played all year his swing would be more consistant? And by fundamental hitter I think he means gload takes what the pitchers give him, he doesn't over swing, he's very clutch, and he's a great situational hitter. If that's wrong molto I apologize.

I can't believe how many of you are denouncing this idea. Let's take a look at Gloads numbers if he was given as many at bats as PK. Keep in mind, he's contributed both as a starter and as a bench player.

Konerko:

AB- 490

BA- .276

OBP- .358

HR- 36

RBI- 102

These would probably be Gloads numbers if he had 500 at bats right now.

Gload:

AB- 513 (171 x 3)

BA- .304

OBP- .358

HR- 12 (Although I believe this would go up if he started more. When he pinch hits he usually goes for the hit)

RBI- 99

Gloads one of those grinders we need. I don't give a f*** if he plays RF, 1B, where they're supposed to be premier power players. We have enough in Carlos and Frank. Gload would help this team much more than PK, just because of his ability to be extremely clutch.

Molto, that is one hell of a post.  I'm tired of having all these guys that put up great numbers at every position but never come through when you need them.  I'm not saying konerko is necessarily is the problem but he's definitely been part of it.  PK is a better hitter, gload is a better defender, better baserunner, and probably a better clutch hitter.  Gload can hit, gload can field at first, why can't he be an everyday player.  If the sox can dump pauly's salary and get a leadoff hitter and then start gload at 1b that would be one heck of a trade off.  Gload is exactly the kind of grinder this team needs.

Rowand44

Molto

Jason

All three of you are right on the money and I agree 100%. Gload deserves better than this. We could use that 8 mill we gain from Kong and go get a GOOD pitcher.

Agreed Zero. Konerko would bring ALOT of value if traded and we can get some studs for him. Gload is a grinder. He plays solid D, very clutch, and can hit 15-20 dingers with a .270-.280 avg. We need contact players on this team and Gload is a good contact hitter. I would not mind seeing him at 1st next year. Then we can get someone off the bench who can play 1st as well a replacement on our team.

He's been consistant all year, granted it's only been part of the season but don't you think if he played all year his swing would be more consistant?  And by fundamental hitter I think he means gload takes what the pitchers give him, he doesn't over swing, he's very clutch, and he's a great situational hitter.  If that's wrong molto I apologize.

Being consistant off the bench doesn't equate to being consistant as an everyday player. Tony G was a consistant bench player, not a consistant starter. Gload may be able to handle the bat situationaly, but if he plans to play everyday swinging at the sky, pitchers will quickly eat him up.

I'd rather have Gload than Everett, but I might be a moron

in thinking that.

I trust Oz. If he thinks Gload is a Mark Grace clone, I hope he's

right.

Rome said a good thing on his show today.

How come GMs never take the blame?

KW made the move to get Everett and Alomar again and that

move sucked.

He got no suitable fifth starter in the offseason and

we remained pathetically slow on the bases.

p.s. I've give up on my boy, Jose V.

Hitting .217 in the bigs doesn't cut it.

We need to upgrade at ss and good luck in doing that, Sox.

Does anybody realize why the Twins are so strong up and down their entire system?

Trading guys away when their value is high(and in some cases, not even that), and trading for guys when their value is low. The Twins traded AJ Pierzynski, after having 2-3 very solid years in a row, to San Francisco for Joe Nathan and Boof Bonsor, and Nathan had struggled previously with San Francisco. Pierzynski's been good with San Fran, but Nathan has been unbelieveable with Minnesota.

Another example...the Twins traded Eric Milton to Philadelphia for Carlos Silva, Joe Roa, and Nick Punto. The Twins, again, come out on top of this deal, getting Silva, who has arguably had a better year then Milton(I believe he has 11 wins, but you have to consider that JC Romero has blown 3 saves in games where Silva left with the lead...so he should have around 13 or 14 wins), along with Roa, who's been a decent long reliever for them, and Punto, who may end up being their starting 2Bman next year.

Exceptions to the rule include Brian Buchanan of 2 years ago, and Mientkiewicz this year. They traded both of those two while their value was low, however, their value has not really increased with their new teams. Buchanan has since been released by San Diego and was signed by the Mets; the player the Twins acquired for Buchanan, Jason Bartlett, has already spent some time in the majors(though it was very brief). The Twins also got Justin Jones from the Cubs for Minky, and from what I can tell just by reading his stats, he has some pretty damn good stuff and could be a major league pitcher some day.

The Twins have been doing this for years upon years. Add to that that they have had very good scouting and have done well in the draft, and after a while, their system has become so strong up and down that they can't keep everyone.

If we want to become like the Twins, trading PK for a group of solid players would be a good place to start. You will not get nearly as much for Gload, plus, by trading PK, you do save $8 mill. And, as has been mentioned before, there are numerous 1Bman available all the time.

Having a good all-around pitching staff along with having a very solid lineup with no easy outs is pretty much the key to success.

I don't know how I feel about Gload as our everyday 1st basemen.  But remember, most of us thought that Aaron Rowand wasn't an everyday player.  And that's been beyond a shadow of a doubt put to rest.

Okay, I'm tired of seeing this. If you want to use this for individual posters, fine, argue it out w/ them. I wasn't posting here at the time you're talking about, but I've always thought Rowand would be a good starter in the ML. And anyway, it's totally irrelevant for this discussion. So just stop w/ it.

Okay, I'm tired of seeing this.  If you want to use this for individual posters, fine, argue it out w/ them.  I wasn't posting here at the time you're talking about, but I've always thought Rowand would be a good starter in the ML.  And anyway, it's totally irrelevant for this discussion.  So just stop w/ it.

Damn, a lil jumpy are we? I wasn't speaking for everybody. A good portion of us "including myself" wasn't sure that Rowand could play everyday. And he's proven us wrong. So it's a lil pre-mature for anybody to say for sure that Gload can't play everyday.

Calm down Killer.

Great....I love how we keep f***ing this team up and then question how we lose every year

Gload at 1st B? What a joke

Don't we have enough Uribe's and Timo's and Crede's on this team???

This year we are not losing because we are a power oriented team....we are losing because we lost all of our power (Maggs and Frank)

This so f***ing sucks if we start Gload at 1B..... :fyou Kenny if you do this

Great....I love how we keep f***ing this team up and then question how we lose every year

Gload at 1st B? What a joke

Don't we have enough Uribe's and Timo's and Crede's on this team???

This year we are not losing because we are a power oriented team....we are losing because we lost all of our power (Maggs and Frank)

This so f***ing sucks if we start Gload at 1B..... :fyou Kenny if you do this

Konerko has been our starter for like 6 years, and we've been to the playoffs 1 time in that period of time. Sometimes a change is needed.

Sorry Zero, dont agree with ya about Gload. I dont think you can just multilpy any players numbers, and expect to get the same result all season. I just dont see Ross Gload being a 300 hitter and basically a 100 RBI guy(your figure came out to 99) Mabye im looking at it worng, but does anyone agree that you just cant multiply a bench player's number and expect the same numbers if he played all year?

Do you really think Jamie Burke would be a 350 hitter if he had 500 AB's?

I do agree with you completely. If he hit like he has this year, playing full-time, he'd probably end up .270 20 80 or so.

But you consider that that is what we are getting from a guy that is making like $2 mill tops, and that we save about $6-7 mill, and we come out way on top.