Excessive Speed Kills Biker, Shuts Down Stevenson

Queen Prawn

This is sad and sickening at the same time...

CHICAGO -- State police said a motorcyclist driving at speeds above 100 mph lost control of his bike and was killed in a violent crash late Monday, leading to an hours-long shutdown of the northbound Stevenson Expressway near the Archer Avenue overpass.

It was the second fatal motorcycle accident on an area expressway in the past month.

NBC5's Kim Vatis identified the dead man as Ralph Storino, 34, of the western suburbs.

Storino was reportedly riding with a group of friends when he struck the barrier wall near the Archer Avenue overpass around 10:40 p.m. Monday, police said. Northbound lanes were shut down, and it took three hours to clean up the wreckage, until around 2 a.m.

"His body was thrown into the air, and police said even his torso was not intact afterward," Vatis said of the violent crash. "Although he was wearing a helmet, he was driving so fast it made no difference."

Parts of the motorcycle were strewn across the ramp from the Stevenson to the southbound Dan Ryan Expressway Stevenson and onto the ramp, a state trooper said.

"Truckers in the area at the time said they were radioing each other to warn about the pack of motorcyclists who were going so fast," Vatis said.

Trucker David Smith said drivers were warning each other about the speeds at which the bikers were traveling.

"Coming up 55, drivers were saying they were in excess of 100, 130," Smith said.

State trooper Rich Decker said the bikers are inviting a tragedy to occur.

"The speeds are getting ridiculous. These crotch-rocket clubs run up and down the Interstate like it's their own personal racetrack," according to Decker. "These guys come out on the bikes and travel 100, 125 mph, and you lose control out here, especially with other traffic in the area."

Just a couple of weeks ago, a similar accident killed a biker riding more than 100 mph with a group. After crashing, he got caught in a wheel and run over, Vatis said.

"Storino's family said he had just taken a safety course," Vatis said.

I can't even count the times Brain or I have been on the Dan Ryan and have either had a bike pass us at ridiculous speeds or seeing them in the opposite lanes going at ridiculous speeds.

I am grateful that riding a bike is one thing that Brain won't do. He said working at Christ for several years (mostly on weekends from junior year of HS until he was about 20 or 22) allowed him to see what can happen when you ride. (Not necessarily always because of the bike rider, but he said majority of the time it was their fault, from what he would hear.)

My girlfriend has a bike and told me yesterday that she went on 290.  So i asked how fast she went, "ONLY 110".  My response, youre a f***ing idiot.

She must have a ton of upside to make up for something like that if you're still with her, though. My fiance won't even drive a car on the highway, let alone hop on a bike and go 110 MPH. Was she born here, or in Europe? Polish or Italian? :D :ph34r:

I am surprised news like this doesnt come up more often. It seems biker cliques are the "in" thing today, u see tons of guys riding their bikes in groups past the midnight hours. Riding real fast on the expressways and doing wheelies like idiots. These guys are only getting whats coming to them.

I'm 46 years old and every person I have ever known that regularly rode a motorcycle, with only one exception, has been involved in some kind of serious accident. I won't get near the things.

The one exception is my ex father-in-law. He rides a Honda Goldwing and is a stickler for care of his bike and for safety. He's also a retired sherriff's deputy who's witnessed his share of fatal accidents.

None of us are nascar drivers kiddies.  Anyone who would do 110 mph in any type of vehicle on an interstate in an urban area is a f***ing lunatic.

Yeah, but a lot of people here think they can be because they've gone 70 mph on the Ryan. :rolly

Wait til next year when they tear it apart and rebuild it.  Get aquainted with LSD.

I'm lucky in that I almost NEVER have to take the Ryan - just when I visit one of my relatives. Probably won't visit him much when they rip up the Ryan.

Thank GOD for public transportation! I work downtown and for all its faults ( and it has PLENTY ) the CTA/RTA beats the hell out of trying to drive and park downtown!

I'm lucky in that I almost NEVER have to take the Ryan - just when I visit one of my relatives. Probably won't visit him much when they rip up the Ryan.

Thank GOD for public transportation! I work downtown and for all its faults ( and it has PLENTY ) the CTA/RTA beats the hell out of trying to drive and park downtown!

A-f***ing-men. I take the train downtown everyday, and wouldn't drive it for the world.

From front page of NBC5.com :

Motorcyclist Allegedly Broke Speed Limit By 140 MPH

POSTED: 1:33 pm CDT September 21, 2004

UPDATED: 1:42 pm CDT September 21, 2004

WABASHA, Minn. -- A motorcyclist in Minnesota has been arrested for speeding -- while allegedly going faster than 200 mph.

The speed limit was 65 mph on U.S. Highway 61 near Wabasha, Minn.. Police said Samuel Tilley was breaking that limit by 140 mph. They said a state patrol pilot who was flying overhead clocked Tilley doing 205 miles an hour while racing with another motorcyclist.

Pilot Al Loney said the bike was traveling nearly twice as fast as his plane. He radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two cyclists over.

Only the faster one was arrested.

Tilley is charged with reckless driving and driving without a motorcycle license -- in addition to the speeding charge.

A 24 year old went off the road doing more than 60 on his bike and hit a parking block, flipped over, and busted himself up pretty good down the road from me. 60 isn't bad, I know, but this is a street that has a post 30 MPH sign and should probably be 10 for how tore up the road is, and he was two houses from the end of the road. The kid died yesterday. I guess he was bleeding in his brain.

Moral: SLOW THE F**K DOWN!!

From front page of NBC5.com :

Motorcyclist Allegedly Broke Speed Limit By 140 MPH

POSTED: 1:33 pm CDT September 21, 2004

UPDATED: 1:42 pm CDT September 21, 2004

WABASHA, Minn. -- A motorcyclist in Minnesota has been arrested for speeding -- while allegedly going faster than 200 mph.

The speed limit was 65 mph on U.S. Highway 61 near Wabasha, Minn.. Police said Samuel Tilley was breaking that limit by 140 mph. They said a state patrol pilot who was flying overhead clocked Tilley doing 205 miles an hour while racing with another motorcyclist.

Pilot Al Loney said the bike was traveling nearly twice as fast as his plane. He radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two cyclists over.

Only the faster one was arrested.

Tilley is charged with reckless driving and driving without a motorcycle license -- in addition to the speeding charge.

Holy s*** is all I have to say