Starting Rotation

Butter Parque

I don't know about you, but I still believe that our Starting Rotation is very shaky for next year. I think we should let Maggs go in the offseason, no matter whether he wants to sign a 1 year deal or not. It's time to turn the page with him.

But as for pitching, I still don't believe Freddy Garcia is an ace and If your counting on him to be one, then your probably going to be disappointed. Mark Buehrle is a bit closer to an ace, but I am still not comfortable with him as one either. Contreras scares me the most, he has been eratic in Chicago and he was terrible in NY. he is probably about 35 or 36 for his real age, and I'd ather have him as my #4 starter. There I would welcome his eraticness. Garland could be a good #5 and I think thats where he should be next year. We aere gonna have to get a free agent pitcher or trade for one. This rotation has to be one that can lead us into the playoffs. Possible free agent options:

Eric Milton: I know most of you hate him, but the fact is that he is a great pitcher and this is an off-year. At times he can be a dominant southpaw and I would love to have him in my rotation.

Carl Pavano: His #'s are great, there is no denying that, but I'm not really a Carl Pavano fan. He has never had a year like this and It might be hard to match. Going to the AL should hurt him also. He will also be priced way to high for the Chisox.

Pedro Martinez: He's great but he's old and expensive; out of the question.

Brad Radke: Even though he is up in age, i think he would be perfect for this team. His price might be high in the offseason but it might be worth it.

Derek Lowe: I think we can all agree that he is not wanted in Chicago.

Jaret Wright: Unless he is with Lee Mazzone, he is of no use.

David Wells: I know there might be some bad blood between Chicago and him, but he can still pitch and give you quality starts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaret Wright: Unless he is with Lee Mazzone, he is of no use.

I see him as our most realistic option besides Odalis Perez, whom you left off this list for some reason. He is not useless without Mazzone. We could sign this guy to a multi-year deal at a 'relatively' low cost.

Eric Milton: I know most of you hate him, but the fact is that he is a great pitcher and this is an off-year. At times he can be a dominant southpaw and I would love to have him in my rotation.

Pedro Martinez: He's great but he's old and expensive; out of the question.

Brad Radke: Even though he is up in age, i think he would be perfect for this team. His price might be high in the offseason but it might be worth it.

Derek Lowe: I think we can all agree that he is not wanted in Chicago.

Milton's numbers this year are basically his career stats. Also how is he a great pitcher? Because he is a lefty we an era slightly under five?

Pedro is 32 and radke is 31 not exactly old for a starting pitchers.

I want lowe because he does induce alot of ground balls which is good for are park.

I see him as our most realistic option besides Odalis Perez, whom you left off this list for some reason.  He is not useless without Mazzone.  We could sign this guy to a multi-year deal at a 'relatively' low cost.

He has never pitched well before this year what makes you think he will be helpful without mazzone.

Milton had a career ERA of 4.76 coming into this year. He is not having adown year.

Pavano could be a risky player for us to pick up, and it would probably be wise just to let him sign elsewhere for big bucks.

Pedro will be too expensive, in all likelyhood, but he would put us over the top, and I have no doubts about it. He would make our rotation among probably the top 5 in the majors...as of right now, everyone in the rotation is really a slot too high...Garcia would be a better #2, Buehrle a better #3, Contreras a better #4, and Garland would be a better #5.

If somehow, the Sox found a way to get the money to get Pedro, they would have a very good chance of winning the AL Central, and would probably be favorites to go to the Series and win it all.

Radke would be decent. but nothing spectacular. He would definately strengthen the rotation to the point we really need though.

Lowe will eithe remain with Boston or will go to the Tigers in all likelyhood.

Wright could be a decent pickup, but I see the Braves resigning him.

Wells is a guy I do not see the Sox pursuing. They went down that road once before, and I'm not sure KW will go down it again. On the otherhand, however, we do know that KW will get players he has liked in the past again...ala Everett and Alomar.

You did not mention Russ Ortiz, who the Sox will more likely go after and may end up getting, along with others too who are not coming to mind right now.

Why in the world would Pavano sign with the Sox? He'll get a lot of money from someone, and I can't see him not wanting to be in the spotlight. I see the Yanks and Red Sox going after him hard. Also, Milton would give up 40 homers easily in our park. The biggest problem I see with our starting pitchers signed for next year is that we're paying 3 guys a lot of money, and not one of them is really worth the price we're paying them. It seems like other teams get those type of guys for about one or two million a year less.

He has never pitched well before this year what makes you think he will be helpful without mazzone.

I have mentioned before that Wright toiled around in the minors for quite some time, and in that time, he picked up a split finger pitch, and it has really helped him in his career.

If the price were right, he'd be worth a shot.

However, I think Atlanta will more then likely resign him.

Can we just sign pavano to make me happy? :D

Wite, your right about Russ Ortiz, I definitely see the sox pursuing him, his walks really frighten me though.  What do you guys think his value will be in the market?

If he's lucky, he'll get $7 mill; however, with the surplus of SP's out there, I think he will be looking more around $4-5 mill, assuming a team doesn't overpay.

I do agree about the walks though. They really do scare me. The only guys in the AL that succeed who also walk a lot of pitchers are those who have nasty stuff so nasty that they find it hard to control. Victor Zambrano comes to mind immediately, though he is no longer in the AL. Russ Ortiz really does not have nasty stuff like that. AL teams will feast on him all day long.

I think what you'll see is that once just one starting pitcher signs, there could be a flurry of signings after that. Someone has to set the bar...or perhaps it has already been set with the Freddy signing.

For example...if the Yanks give Pedro $20 mill a year for $4 years, Pavano will be looking at probably atleast $14-15, knowing full well he is the 2nd best SP available, and it will continue tumbling from there. If Pedro only gets like $10 mill, Pavano will have to settle for considerably less, and you will see all kinds of crazy action after that...we would probably end up with 2 starters we probably had not thought we would get(like perhaps Perez and Radke for a combined $12 mill, with us thinking it's a steal, and Perez and Radke potentially both thinking they just got away with murder).

In all likleyhood, Pedro will settle for around $15-17, Pavano will get $10-12, and it wil be a domino effect from there.

I agree our pitching is not a lock to be dominant.

I shake my head though at your statement,

I think we should let Maggs go in the offseason,

no matter whether he wants to sign a 1 year deal or not. It's time to turn the page with him.

Why is it time to turn the page with Maggs??

He and Frank are proving we NEED their production.

Who the hell do you want to replace him?

I dont know whats up with everyone loving Pavano, he isnt an ace like the sox are looking for, This will be his second winning season, the other being 2000 when he was 8-4, he was 12-13 last year. I just have a feeling that if we do get him, alot of people here are gunna be dissapointed with how he plays. I see him as being an Esteban Loaiza-like fluke.

Here's how I see KW's list....

Martinez - No Chance

Pavano - No Chance

Ortiz - Winnar.

Perez - We'll chase him if Ortiz goes to the Yanks

Radke - only on KW's radar if the others fall through

ball>

Here's my list

1 Radke -- Most consistent, always healthy. Least risk for the $$$

2. Perez -- Cheapest option -- tons of potential

3. Pavano -- I think he can really suceed in USCF, arm trouble scares me

4. Martinez -- Too much money, I'd love to have him, but I'm realistic. It would hamper us in too many other areas.

5 Ortiz -- Gives up too many HR's and BB's -- Recipe for disaster at USCF

I think Wright learned how to be a pitcher, rather than a thrower, this year.

FWIW, I read something from a blog that was quoting a guy who worked in the PCL last season. Wright was pitching for portland(?)(i don't remember which team) and supposedly he really figured it out towards the end of the season there, but he lost it when he came up in September. ATL must have seen him in the PCL late in the year and noticed something... I can't tell you what it was, but something did click, the only problem is it's likely to unclick once Wright leaves Mazzone's side.

FWIW, I read something from a blog that was quoting a guy who worked in the PCL last season.  Wright was pitching for portland(?)(i don't remember which team) and supposedly he really figured it out towards the end of the season there, but he lost it when he came up in September.  ATL must have seen him in the PCL late in the year and noticed something... I can't tell you what it was, but something did click, the only problem is it's likely to unclick once Wright leaves Mazzone's side.

That's a possibility. But sometimes, a guy just "gets it".