What are you favorite Chicago restaurants

WSoxShuf

Take Out -- Fat Johnnie's(south Western Ave.), Cida(Countryside), Mario's Deli(Bensenville), Vito & Nick's(south Pulaski -- but for sandwiches only, their pizza is horrible), Rosangela's(Evergreen Park), Fuji Grill(Forest Park), Panes(north Sheffield)

Sit Down -- Khyber Pass(Oak Park), Jack Gibbons(Orland Park), Morton's(Chicago and Westchester)  Duck Walk(north, er Damen? I forgot), Mykha's(Glen Ellyn)  Pappadeaux(Westmont),  Marbuzet(Forest Park)

This list could go on forever.

No chains allowed--they are the source of all things evil.

I think we should differentiate between "local chains" like Portellos or Lou Malnattis vs. "national chains" like Pizza Hut and Ruth Chris

If you guys havent been there, you need to check out the Italian Village. By far the greatest restaurant in Chicago and I thinks it also one of Americas 10 most busiest(for a good reason). If you do decide to go there, GET THE SOUPS! Both soups are great but the noodle one is probaly the best thing that I have ever tasted, literally.

I've heard a lot about Pizza DOC but haven't been there yet...tell me about it, please!

The food, especially the Pizza and Risotto, is incredible...so authentic.

I recommend it to EVERYONE! I could go on and on...but the Chicago Reader said it better

Here is what the Reader had to say:

The name refers to the stamp of approval given to Italian wine, cheese, and other food products of verifiably high quality. D'Ortenzi holds everything in his establishment up to the same exacting standards. He even brought star Roman chef Gualtiero Carosi along from La Bocca. Pizza crusts are rolled thin with a dowel then topped with different combinations of tomato, mozzarella, artichoke, porcini mushrooms, and even ham and eggs, and cooked in a wood-burning oven. For heartier appetites there are pasta dishes, gnocchi alla romano with fresh basil, and a few (meatless) risotto options, plus a couple specialties that deserve attention. One is coda alla vaccinara—oxtail baked with celery, carrots, onion, and tomato—the other, osso buco alla Milanese, is tender braised veal shanks with carrots and onion served with a buttery saffron risotto. The dining room is simple and attractive, with lacquered wood panels between salmon-colored walls, tasteful black-and-white photos of Roman ruins set off by oddly shaped halogen lights, and a few large feathery plants in the center. A table displays the vegetables for the antipasto misto—grilled eggplant, yellow and green zucchini, and roasted scallions—and baskets of rustic bread made on the premises. This place holds promise, and blows away the majority of Italian-American places that call themselves authentic. Pizza D.O.C., 2251 W. Lawrence, 773-784-8777

BTW, if you want to know exactly what D.O.C. means...

Vino a Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) is the Italian answer to the French AOC. DOC wines are produced in specific well-defined regions, according to specific rules designed to preserve the traditional wine-making practices of the individual regions. Thus, the rules for making Barolo differ markedly from those for making Chianti Classico. The winery can state the vineayrd that the grapes came from, but cannot name the wine after a grape type (doing so would cause confusion, because there are some DOCs named after grape types, for example Brunello di Montalcino), and cannot use a name such as "Superior." Since a wine has to meet certain standards to qualify as DOC, the quality of Italian wines as a whole has improved since the first DOCs were established in the 1960s, though in some cases the rules drawn up by the commissions had unexpected effects -- Super Tuscans (VdT) arose from the requirement (since dropped) that producers put white grapes in their Chianti Classico.

:)