19 year old forced to quit 50K/yr city job

southsider2k5

Now they are looking at a 23 year old guy who is the son of the President of the Carpenders Union as maybe being another insider hire.

http://www.nbc5.com/politics/3738482/detai...994&dppid=65172

God I love Chicago politics...

Now I just need Rich Daley to stand up and whine

"What do you want from me?"

Anyone who's the least bit surprised that this kind of stuff happens either isn't from Chicago or hasn't paid any attention.

This stuff has gone on ever since EVER.

It's funny that the mayor is feuding with the Tribune when it's the Times that seems to be gleefully turning over rocks in all city departments.

I'm older than most here and I'm a history oriented person on top of that. Anyone who thinks that two separate Daley dynasties have been good for Chicago is sadly mistaken. Doubly so if you think that Chicago is even close to the great city it once was. Nothing is going to change. Even if the Republicans hold onto Congress and the White House Chicago is a one party town. A one party system wasn't good in the old Soviet Union and it hasn't been good for Chicago. Even in the one ruling party Mayors Kelly and Kennelly were far superior to the Daleys. For all his faults and foibles so was the late Harold Washington. And yes, SS2K4 the mayor will stand up before the press and whine. New York city can elect a Giuliani or even a Democrat like Ed Koch but in Chicago it's always the same old same old.

maybe its just me but i dont see anything wrong with a 19 year old making 50k a year, sounds like people are jelous to me.

The big problem is in order to have this job you have to have 6 years experience. He's 19. Did he start in the carpenter's union at 13?

well if he went to work with his pops since he was a little kid he probally knows what the f*** he is doing, not only that some places say they require experience but if they find the right person they will over look it.

You can't get 4 years of trade school and 2 years experience AFTER trade school by "working with Pops", unless Pops runs a trade school.

Fact is, the kid got the job becuse of who his Pops is ( influential union guy ), and not because he knows what the f*** he's doing.

No paycheck jealousy here whatsoever, I'm just glad that this kind of bulls*** nepotism is being brought to light. A lot of QUALIFIED tradesmen were f***ed over so Pops' unqualified kid could get a plum job and that is simply WRONG.

You can't get 4 years of trade school and 2 years experience AFTER trade school by "working with Pops", unless Pops runs a trade school.

Fact is, the kid got the job becuse of who his Pops is ( influential union guy ), and not because he knows what the f*** he's doing.

No paycheck jealousy here whatsoever, I'm just glad that this kind of bulls*** nepotism is being brought to light. A lot of QUALIFIED tradesmen were f***ed over so Pops' unqualified kid could get a plum job and that is simply WRONG.

Exactly... And it happens all of the time. I think it is great that this is getting put out there. Honest people are the ones who lose here...